British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wanna go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wanna-go-187851/)

ducatiandy Oct 31st 2003 10:57 am

Wanna go

My wife and two young kids (4&5) want to move to California which is where my wife has an uncle/aunt and cousins etc. I am a Divison Manager for a large construction company in UK and trained as a Quantity Surveyor (for my sins). I was told that if I get a job offer I would get a visa, is this true?

Any other advice at all would be very helpfull!

Thanks!
:confused:

BrigieDarling Oct 31st 2003 12:37 pm

I think you'll have better luck finding the answer to this question, if you research the exptensive knowledge to be found in British Expats Imigration Forums

(Or as we'd say in Pompey... "Ave a gander in 'ere mate!")

Good luck and welcome to Britsh Expats.com

Manc Oct 31st 2003 1:27 pm

Re: Wanna go

Originally posted by ducatiandy
My wife and two young kids (4&5) want to move to California which is where my wife has an uncle/aunt and cousins etc. I am a Divison Manager for a large construction company in UK and trained as a Quantity Surveyor (for my sins).
When I was doing my HND (Have no degree) in construction, was told that they don't have QS's in the USA, don't know how true this is as I now work insurance, however I think you might wanna try a different avenue!

ducatiandy Oct 31st 2003 1:30 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
When I was doing my HND (Have no degree) in construction, was told that they don't have QS's in the USA, don't know how true this is as I now work insurance, however I think you might wanna try a different avenue!

Do you work over there now? If so how did you get in?

Manc Oct 31st 2003 1:35 pm

Met my wife online.

Was a high rise structural surveyor (steeplejack!) in England. Worked all over the place anyhow.

ducatiandy Oct 31st 2003 1:40 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
Met my wife online.

Was a high rise structural surveyor (steeplejack!) in England. Worked all over the place anyhow.

Is there any other ways that you could suggest I could get a visa leading to a greencard. HELP! If I don't get in my wife wants us to move to Oz or NZ.

Yosser Oct 31st 2003 2:52 pm

Pulaski please post your 7 commandments on obtaining a visa please.

Yosser Oct 31st 2003 2:57 pm

Is there any other ways that you could suggest I could get a visa leading to a greencard. HELP! If I don't get in my wife wants us to move to Oz or NZ.
Go to the Oz forum on here and ask them, by my understanding its a bit easier moving to Oz than the U.S. There is a website were you can take a point test and see if your trade is something that the Aussies want!

NC Penguin Oct 31st 2003 3:26 pm

My wife and two young kids (4&5) want to move to California which is where my wife has an uncle/aunt and cousins etc. I am a Divison Manager for a large construction company in UK and trained as a Quantity Surveyor (for my sins). I was told that if I get a job offer I would get a visa, is this true?

Thanks!
Have a look at the US Immigration and also the US Visas forum. You'll read about the variety of visa available and what it takes to obtain a visa for yourself and your family.

You may also find it helpful to conduct a search in each forum too.

NC Penguin

ducatiandy Oct 31st 2003 3:34 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Have a look at the US Immigration and also the US Visas forum. You'll read about the variety of visa available and what it takes to obtain a visa for yourself and your family.

You may also find it helpful to conduct a search in each forum too.

NC Penguin

How do I conduct a search in each forum?

NC Penguin Oct 31st 2003 3:45 pm

How do I conduct a search in each forum?
I expect you're familiar with search engines. Britishexpats has its own little search engine for each forum.

Go to the forum of interest.
At the top of the list of threads, there's a box. On the righthand side, you'll see "Search this forum" and a box beside it. You type in the words you want to search by in there.

Start off broadly then narrow your search to get more specific information.

You'll see that people frequently post questions like yours and you'll see the replies.

NC Penguin

Rockgurl Oct 31st 2003 3:54 pm

Thanks!
Here you go...courtesy of Saint Pulaski! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoti...grinangelA.gif

==========

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

For most British citizens who want to come to live in the US the only realistic options they have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above, however in the relatively unusual sitution that your wife is in, I would guess that by far the most fruitful path would be to prove that her father is a US citizen and apply for citizehship herself. That shold be quite possible as there are a good number of half-Vietnamese now in the US under similar circumstances - because of the peccadillos of their fathers.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult, but if you really want to it is possible.

I hope this helps.

ducatiandy Oct 31st 2003 3:59 pm

Thank you thank you thank you, everyone is so kind on here, it just shows the best are all leaving the uk and makes us ask why?

Thank you again!:) :) :)

Ray Nov 1st 2003 3:08 am

Thank you thank you thank you, everyone is so kind on here, it just shows the best are all leaving the uk and makes us ask why?

Thank you again!:) :) :)
To get away from people who think the Ducati is a good bike...

(just joking)

Pulaski Nov 1st 2003 11:23 am

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Here you go...courtesy of Saint Pulaski! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoti...grinangelA.gif

==========

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

For most British citizens who want to come to live in the US the only realistic options they have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above, however in the relatively unusual sitution that your wife is in, I would guess that by far the most fruitful path would be to prove that her father is a US citizen and apply for citizehship herself. That shold be quite possible as there are a good number of half-Vietnamese now in the US under similar circumstances - because of the peccadillos of their fathers.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult, but if you really want to it is possible.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Rockgurl. The one thing I'd add is that uncles and aunts are not close enough relatives to get you a US visa. :(

BTW Rockgurl borrowed my post from "Postie's" thread, where his wife apparently has a USC father.