British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Walmart... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/walmart-696304/)

zargof Dec 8th 2010 8:55 pm

Walmart...

It seems that Walmart are going to start selling economy size packs of fear along with everything else...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/08/walmart_terror/

chartreuse Dec 8th 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Walmart...

Yes, I saw that. FFS! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Giantaxe Dec 8th 2010 10:35 pm

Just another reason not to shop at Walmart.

chartreuse Dec 8th 2010 10:50 pm

I liked this comment: "Attention Wal-Mart shoppers, we are at war with Eurasia, we have never been at war with Eastasia...."

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9029604)

Dammit, we need a new battery for SWMBO's car. Now I have to decide whether my outrage is worth $20.:frown:

MrEmjoy Dec 8th 2010 11:23 pm

But, as a spokesman told MSNBC, "Wal-Mart is a place where people gather, it's a place where you sometimes see your neighbor the most"
No, I'm guessing it would be next door to where I live.

meauxna Dec 8th 2010 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 9029625)
I liked this comment: "Attention Wal-Mart shoppers, we are at war with Eurasia, we have never been at war with Eastasia...."

Dammit, we need a new battery for SWMBO's car. Now I have to decide whether my outrage is worth $20.:frown:

pffft.

The CNN story didn't have all the hyperventilating and juicy lip licking about guns in it. You'd better expand your boycott net too:

The program has already partnered with the Mall of America, the American Hotel & Lodging Association, Amtrak, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, sports and general aviation industries, and other organizations across the country, DHS said.
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-06/u...etown-security

paddingtongreen Dec 9th 2010 12:02 am

Encourage all of your friends to participate. If someone furtively, meaning you didn't see what it was, puts something into the trunk, report it. If somebody speaks quietly into a cellphone, that's suspicious, nobody does that. And so on, and on, and...

Giantaxe Dec 9th 2010 12:19 am

There's something very Orwellian about all this.

meauxna Dec 9th 2010 12:29 am

Some guy just parked a van full of big barrels connected to each other with wires and reeking of diesel in my city's living room, intending to blow a bunch of people to their maker.
It's not a bad idea to be observant.

Mind you, I don't want the Walmart people watching me. They'd probably report me to the House UnAmerican Committee for having frizzy hair or wearing Birkenstocks.

Manc Dec 9th 2010 12:51 am

rat out your neighbors...............

Bluegrass Lass Dec 9th 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 9029598)
Yes, I saw that. FFS! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9029604)

My sentiments exactly

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9029735)
Mind you, I don't want the Walmart people watching me. They'd probably report me to the House UnAmerican Committee for having frizzy hair or wearing Birkenstocks.

:rofl::rofl::thumbup: We're right there with ya sista!

Mummy in the foothills Dec 9th 2010 2:31 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9029735)

:lol: So now you know what I look like? How did you do that!

Rete Dec 9th 2010 2:20 pm

Metro-North Railroad is also a part of "If you see something; say something" scheme.

One evening on the way home I took a seat in the seating area that seats face each other. The seat in front of me had a full backpack under the seat pushed up against the wall.

I told the conductor and she said "Its nothing. People leave them behind all the time" and walked away.

RickWG Dec 10th 2010 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9030886)
I told the conductor and she said "Its nothing. People leave them behind all the time" and walked away.

Walking across the local campus one night, about 7pm. 2 campus cops stop me & another guy & ask if we know anything about the bomb threat called into one of the buildings.
Me: Nope, no idea
Cop: Ok, thanks..
Me: Er, why aren't you evacuating the building?
Cop: Well the classes in there end at 9pm & we don't want to disturb them before we search the building...
Me: You do realise it's just after 7pm?
Cop: Yes.
Me: Then you better hope that if there is a bomb it has at least 2 hour timer on it..
Cop: huh?

lansbury Dec 10th 2010 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by RickWG (Post 9031962)
Walking across the local campus one night, about 7pm. 2 campus cops stop me & another guy & ask if we know anything about the bomb threat called into one of the buildings.
Me: Nope, no idea
Cop: Ok, thanks..
Me: Er, why aren't you evacuating the building?
Cop: Well the classes in there end at 9pm & we don't want to disturb them before we search the building...
Me: You do realise it's just after 7pm?
Cop: Yes.
Me: Then you better hope that if there is a bomb it has at least 2 hour timer on it..
Cop: huh?

It's called a threat assessment. What would you do every time there is a bomb threat. Evacuate. Then the intelligentsia who always know best, but never ever have to make the call, would ridicule you when nothing happened.

Try doing a threat assessment on a fully loaded 747 about to depart. That will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand out.