British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wallgreens UK Passport Photo (photo) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wallgreens-uk-passport-photo-photo-695825/)

MattDell Dec 5th 2010 12:21 am

Wallgreens UK Passport Photo (photo)

I am applying for a UK Work Visa, but the photo requirements are the same as the passport. I live in Hawaii, so it's been difficult to find someone specializing in different-sized passport photos. Fortunately, I came across Wallgreens just now and they had a sign that said "Passport Photos - US and Other Countries and Sizes."

A man there took my photo and told me to wait while he processed it. Once he was done, he called me over and I could tell the photos looked a bit large. I asked him about it and he told me that the computer told him not to crop the photos. I just got home and had more time to analyze the photo I got (see below) and I noticed that there are three photos: the left most is 35mm x 45mm with a circle around the face to verify it's within the 29mm to 34mm range; the two right most photos are roughly 40mm to 50mm (5mm larger than what I need).

So, I'm wondering if these are acceptable or not. It seems somewhat official, and I would like to think someone at Walgreens corporate would have ensured that this is acceptable to the UKBA, but with the visa fee at $1,190 I don't want to get denied for something as trivial as my photo being 5mm too large.

Anyway, have a look. I pixelated my face, as I'm sure you can tell. ;)

http://www.fly-a380s.com/hostedfiles...wallgreens.png

Noorah101 Dec 5th 2010 12:47 am

Re: Wallgreens UK Passport Photo (photo)

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure if you realize it, but you've posted your question (which has to do with UK-size photos) in the USA forum. This forum is for folks from overseas who are coming to the USA. You're doing the opposite.

You might want to check over on www.uk-yankee.com, they have forums that deal with immigration to (or living and working in) the UK.

Rene

MattDell Dec 5th 2010 12:50 am

Oh, terribly sorry about that. I thought there might be someone here with experience getting a UK-sized passport photo in the USA.

I will try at uk-yankee as well.

Cheers,
-Matt

Noorah101 Dec 5th 2010 12:51 am

Originally Posted by MattDell (Post 9021455)
Oh, terribly sorry about that. I thought there might be someone here with experience getting a UK-sized passport photo in the USA.

I will try at uk-yankee as well.

Cheers,
-Matt

There might be...just giving you an alternative to check out that might be faster for you than waiting here for someone who's been there done that. :)

Rene

Mummy in the foothills Dec 5th 2010 1:57 am

I did our UK passport photos free with www.epassportphoto.com You plug in the country and they make them the right size and you print them off, they came out really well.

MsElui Dec 5th 2010 2:22 am

the uk and us passports photos have the same regulations for the head size and facial proportions etc (as they are both biometric style passports so the computer can check the relative sizes etc) so you can use US passport photos for UK passport renewals as the only difference is the photos are square instead of rectangular and have a wide view of background. The instructions on the website even say 'dont trim yourself' - the embassy will trim them (and your photo clip even says dont trim as well).

Ive renewed 3 uk passports now with us photos and they are all fine. so you can get any standard US passport photo taken at wallgreens etc and stop stressing.

TimFountain Dec 5th 2010 2:52 am

Digital camera, microsoft powerpoint, insert picture, crop to correct size, glossy photo paper and a good color printer = doing it yourself....

Done this for all my US photos, no problems at all.

- Tim

osgood Dec 5th 2010 2:37 pm

3 x 4 cm for united kingdom.2x2 for usa.....

MsElui Dec 5th 2010 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by osgood (Post 9022452)
3 x 4 cm for united kingdom.2x2 for usa.....

but the bioemtris standards are universal. The embassy website even states not to cut them down to size yourself but to leave them and let the service do it.

osgood Dec 5th 2010 8:06 pm

did you renew in the u.k your british passport,as they are had me going back and forth with different size photos from walgreens....retards at the consulate....

MattDell Dec 5th 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9021590)
the uk and us passports photos have the same regulations for the head size and facial proportions etc (as they are both biometric style passports so the computer can check the relative sizes etc) so you can use US passport photos for UK passport renewals as the only difference is the photos are square instead of rectangular and have a wide view of background. The instructions on the website even say 'dont trim yourself' - the embassy will trim them (and your photo clip even says dont trim as well).

Ive renewed 3 uk passports now with us photos and they are all fine. so you can get any standard US passport photo taken at wallgreens etc and stop stressing.

Excellent!

I also did some at epassportphoto as well. I'll just use whichever looks better.

Bob Dec 6th 2010 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9021560)
I did our UK passport photos free with www.epassportphoto.com You plug in the country and they make them the right size and you print them off, they came out really well.

That's what I used, but I printed them out at Target was it's what, 20c a print? Worked a treat too....I don't look like a terrorist/convict for the first time in a piece of ID :D

msellers Dec 6th 2010 4:49 pm

If there is a Costco in the island you live in ( I know there is one in Maui and Kona), then you can get your photograph taken there. They have automated settings in the camera that they use for the different countries. It auto sets the photo distance and size to 45mm X 35mm which is what is required for UK passports.

Jscl Dec 7th 2010 6:04 am

The first (UK) passport photos I did at a Walgreens, using their UK template were too small, according to the official dimensions, the second lot were too big. I gave up and used the too big ones, and they were accepted by the DC renewal place. I think they give you a bit of leeway at DC because they realise it's difficult - not sure how it would be if you send your visa application somewhere else though.

Bob Dec 8th 2010 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Jscl (Post 9025707)
The first (UK) passport photos I did at a Walgreens, using their UK template were too small, according to the official dimensions, the second lot were too big. I gave up and used the too big ones, and they were accepted by the DC renewal place. I think they give you a bit of leeway at DC because they realise it's difficult - not sure how it would be if you send your visa application somewhere else though.

If you're getting a passport in the US, you're meant to just use US sizes and they'll trim them down for you anyway...saves a lot of hassle :D

I went with a UK print only because I got mine renewed in the UK, my mother did it for me, much cheaper.