Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Walking phobic America

Walking phobic America

Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:32 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice
Default Walking phobic America

Hi,

I am new to this site I have been extremely homesick lately and just wanted somewhere to rant.

My biggest peeve about America so far has been the fact that you can't walk anywhere! They don't even put any pavements down to give you the option! Its absolutely ridiculous, if you ATTEMPT to walk along the road you get people shouting things at you out of their car windows and beeping their horns.

I never learned to drive when I was back home because I just never needed to, I could get around perfectly well just by walking or using public transport, as I was at university then anyway. I will NEVER complain about the british public transport system ever again.
And we wonder why America is the Fat Nation?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walking phobic America

Drive to the gym, walk on the walker, drive home. Everybody's happy!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:40 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Drive to the gym, walk on the walker, drive home. Everybody's happy!

I know, I find that absolutely hysterical. Even funnier is when people go to walmart and get their shopping and then decide they want to go to bed bath and beyond next door, instead of taking the thirty second walk to the shop, they will get back in their cars and DRIVE to it!

Lazy gits!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:43 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia

I know, I find that absolutely hysterical. Even funnier is when people go to walmart and get their shopping and then decide they want to go to bed bath and beyond next door, instead of taking the thirty second walk to the shop, they will get back in their cars and DRIVE to it!

Lazy gits!
Oh don't even go down that road (so to speak), a pet peev with my wife that one and she'll drive round a parking lot for 5 minutes to get a spot within 20 feet of the door
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Oh don't even go down that road (so to speak), a pet peev with my wife that one and she'll drive round a parking lot for 5 minutes to get a spot within 20 feet of the door
mine too.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to learn to drive, but it's easy enough as a complete melon could pass a test....but I know what you mean...they only finally put some pavement down in parts of town around here, centre of town was sorted...but anyway, yeah, public transport is a bit of a mess.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
mine too.
my missus doesn't have a drivers license, so I park where I want...and walk if I want to
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that!!!

I've seen people wait 30 minutes for a parking space close to the door when they could have walked from a parking space in less than a few minutes.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I've started doing that, but here in AZ you do it to find shade. Plus you cannot park anywhere near the bloody doors due to the 20 handicap spaces they mark off.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am new to this site I have been extremely homesick lately and just wanted somewhere to rant.

My biggest peeve about America so far has been the fact that you can't walk anywhere! They don't even put any pavements down to give you the option! Its absolutely ridiculous, if you ATTEMPT to walk along the road you get people shouting things at you out of their car windows and beeping their horns.

I never learned to drive when I was back home because I just never needed to, I could get around perfectly well just by walking or using public transport, as I was at university then anyway. I will NEVER complain about the british public transport system ever again.
And we wonder why America is the Fat Nation?
How are you dressed when you go walking? Mini skirt (regardless of gender)? Bare midriff?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:51 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I've started doing that, but here in AZ you do it to find shade. Plus you cannot park anywhere near the bloody doors due to the 20 handicap spaces they mark off.
I just tell the missus to stick her gut out, that way she looks pregnant then we park in the "new and expectant mums" car space outside the mall.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
mine too.
You're probably not helping her carry her shopping so that's why she wants to park closer...
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Celsius
How are you dressed when you go walking? Mini skirt (regardless of gender)? Bare midriff?

Alas no, but I never actually catch what they're saying so maybe its not as derrogatory as I thought...

I'd like to think so anyway..

Seriously though what it is with Americans and walking? Its not exactly difficult or a torturous pastime is it?
My old life living five minutes away from Snowdonia national park obviously spoiled me!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alas no, but I never actually catch what they're saying so maybe its not as derrogatory as I thought...

I'd like to think so anyway..

Seriously though what it is with Americans and walking? Its not exactly difficult or a torturous pastime is it?
My old life living five minutes away from Snowdonia national park obviously spoiled me!
Have you been trying to walk down the Strip in Pittsburgh?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Celsius
Have you been trying to walk down the Strip in Pittsburgh?
No I haven't! We're not actually in Pittsburgh itself, we are in Moon Township in the burbs...

Oh I long for the days when Snowdon was my view out of the window. Now I have to make do with Taco Bell, lucky lucky me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.