British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wales in Washington DC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wales-washington-dc-593790/)

Dewey Feb 24th 2009 8:48 pm

Wales in Washington DC

Wales will be this year's featured country at the 2009 Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the National Mall. More info at the Smithsonian and Welsh Assembly websites. Things kick off in March with the Washington Meets Wales literary events, including a poetry evening on Monday March 23 at Busboys and Poets, 14th and V St.

Voltore Feb 24th 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Wales in Washington DC

Now if a barrel of Brains Dark were to be available, then I'm in :) I need reminding of my 5 years in Cardiff in a happy way:thumbsup:

Manc Feb 25th 2009 6:05 am

Wales isn't a country.

dunroving Feb 25th 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7320544)
Wales isn't a country.

So are you going to tell us what it is, then?

Voltore Feb 25th 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7321633)
So are you going to tell us what it is, then?

It's a Principality.

ironporer Feb 25th 2009 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7320544)
Wales isn't a country.

According to Wiki it is:

Wales /ˈweɪlz/ (help·info) (Welsh: Cymru;[2] pronounced [ˈkəmrɨ] (help·info)) is a country that is part of the United Kingdom,[3] bordered by England to its east, and the Atlantic Ocean[4] and Irish Sea to its west. It is also an elective region of the European Union. Wales has a population estimated at three million and is bilingual, with both Welsh and English having equal status....

Dewey Feb 25th 2009 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Voltore (Post 7319436)
Now if a barrel of Brains Dark were to be available, then I'm in :) I need reminding of my 5 years in Cardiff in a happy way:thumbsup:

You may get your wish. According to the curator of the Welsh program, they will try their best to get some Welsh beer. From DCist.com "There is no Welsh restaurant or caterer in the DC area so we will probably be working with someone non-Welsh but in close contact with a Welsh food consultant. And, since the sub-theme of the Welsh program is sustainability, we will also be working on sustainable containers, food sourced locally (except for some Welsh food products available in the US that we would like people to know about), and that sort of thing. So, I hope you skeptics will take all this in mind and give us the benefit of the doubt."

I looked at the Brickskeller beer list and they claim to have Felinfoel Thames Welsh ESB in 16oz bottles. Someone on beeradvocate.com in December 08 said Thames Welsh ESB was stocked in the Market Street Wine Shop in Charlottesville.

tonrob Feb 25th 2009 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 7319355)
Wales will be this year's featured country at the 2009 Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the National Mall. More info at the Smithsonian and Welsh Assembly websites. Things kick off in March with the Washington Meets Wales literary events, including a poetry evening on Monday March 23 at Busboys and Poets, 14th and V St.

There's tidy then. :)

Manc Feb 25th 2009 5:08 pm

yakky dar

welshgirl1 Feb 26th 2009 3:16 pm

YEAY!!!!!!!! I am so in!

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2009 3:24 pm

Well I'll go to our house...I always thought it was a principality.

http://www.walesworldnation.com/serv...8#principality

another bloody yank Feb 26th 2009 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by welshgirl1 (Post 7325557)
YEAY!!!!!!!! I am so in!

You're going to leave Wales to come to DC to attend a Welsh folklife festival?

Optimus Prime Feb 26th 2009 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7325591)
You're going to leave Wales to come to DC to attend a Welsh folklife festival?

The clue is..she's Welsh.

They don't get out much mate. ;)

welshgirl1 Feb 26th 2009 3:38 pm

It's all in the name...

Taffyles Feb 26th 2009 4:33 pm

I'll have to mail them some Welsh cakes and corned beef pies if they're short of food:D
I'll attend if you get OMA to sing.