Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wal Mart goes Upscale

Wikiposts

Wal Mart goes Upscale

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:17 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wal Mart goes Upscale

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Nothing wrong in using coupons... I use them and usually when the item is on sale too.

Ash
Yup, if you can save a some money, why not? Better in your pocket than theirs!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:31 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like walmart too, but there is no real competition where I live, unless you want to drive an hour to do your shopping, but only tend to buy groceries there, as their non food items do appear to be shabbily made and cheap and nasty. My wife and MIL both work for the walmart group (at Sam's club, the cash and carry arm of the group) and they have just screwed them both (and the rest of the employees) over their bonus check. They get this every year, value dependant on their stores turnover. In the past they have been given a separate check and paid taxes with their tax returns, but this year they included the bonus with their normal pay check, and thus have screwed them with taxes (out of a $800 bonus, my MIL only received $200 after taxes had been taken away), so much for looking after your employees, we are lucky in the regard that we were not desperate for this money, but I know people who are and i think this just shows how much they care about their work force and their individual needs. Bastards!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
I don't like walmart too, but there is no real competition where I live, unless you want to drive an hour to do your shopping, but only tend to buy groceries there, as their non food items do appear to be shabbily made and cheap and nasty. My wife and MIL both work for the walmart group (at Sam's club, the cash and carry arm of the group) and they have just screwed them both (and the rest of the employees) over their bonus check. They get this every year, value dependant on their stores turnover. In the past they have been given a separate check and paid taxes with their tax returns, but this year they included the bonus with their normal pay check, and thus have screwed them with taxes (out of a $800 bonus, my MIL only received $200 after taxes had been taken away), so much for looking after your employees, we are lucky in the regard that we were not desperate for this money, but I know people who are and i think this just shows how much they care about their work force and their individual needs. Bastards!

Wow - your MIL is on a 75% tax rate?? Presumably it will sort itself out at tax-time?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:20 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Wow - your MIL is on a 75% tax rate?? Presumably it will sort itself out at tax-time?
I think it is more because it was lumped in with her wages, rather than a seperate check, and I am presuming it will be sorted when she files next year!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
My wife and MIL both work for the walmart group (at Sam's club, the cash and carry arm of the group) and they have just screwed them both (and the rest of the employees) over their bonus check.
Some people, I've heard, have been known to submit a new W4 just before their bonus payment claiming 9 dependants in order to sidestep this problem, then resubmitting it back to its previous value for the next pay period. Of course, I wouldn't encourage this willfull misrepresentation to Uncle Sam!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:36 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I was told that bonus payments are subject to a 25% flat tax fate for Federal withholding as per IRS regulations. That was certainly the case with my bonus!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:41 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Cutting coupons is fine -- but it can be time consuming to cut them, save them, retrieve them, use them. When I was a college student I certainly did it.

Toon -- there are people (mostly women) in the US who compete over walking out of a supermarket with a trolley full of food and either a $0.00 bill or the supermarket owing THEM money. Please feel free to compete.

As to Wal-Mart -- I want them upsh*tcreek.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Cutting coupons is fine -- but it can be time consuming to cut them, save them, retrieve them, use them. When I was a college student I certainly did it.

Toon -- there are people (mostly women) in the US who compete over walking out of a supermarket with a trolley full of food and either a $0.00 bill or the supermarket owing THEM money. Please feel free to compete.

As to Wal-Mart -- I want them upsh*tcreek.
Someone told me there is an Ikea being built in Austin - is that right ??
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:21 am
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
Someone told me there is an Ikea being built in Austin - is that right ??
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/conws/3743246.html
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks