Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart for British Fare?

Wal-Mart for British Fare?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wal-Mart for British Fare?

Originally Posted by frrussre
Ft Lauderdale- Miami, not seen Brit food section in our local Walmarts. Several Publix super markets do have small Brit Food section, sauce, digestives, biscuits, tea, custard, salad cream etc.

We have to British stores, within 2 miles of our home, almost never go to either, how sad is that. Guess been here too long.
Reg. Frank R.

Hi Frank. We find the same...have a store nearby that sells loads of British goodies. If you want something he hasn't got he'll do his best to get it for you. He also stocks seasonal stuff and Christmas and Easter. When we first found it we used to shop there every week...now it's every few months.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
They're not British but I love Publix fried chicken and key lime pie!
Together???
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

The Kroger in Farragut, west Knoxville has a pretty good international aisle including a British section. Most of the usual suspects are available and they also have British bacon and sausage too. (What puzzled me was that Vimto was in with the Mediterranean foods. Am I missing something or do they think that something ending in 'o' must be Italian or Spanish?)
A quick search tells me there are at least 20 Krogers in the Memphis area so at least one must have the availabilty of the one in K'ville. Or is the East just that much more sophisticated than the West?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

They're not British but I love Publix fried chicken and key lime pie!
Hi Penguinbar,

" Fried Chicken in a Key lime pie, must be interesting flavor.

Do they use white or dark meat?

Reg Frank R.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
The Kroger in Farragut, west Knoxville has a pretty good international aisle including a British section. Most of the usual suspects are available and they also have British bacon and sausage too. (What puzzled me was that Vimto was in with the Mediterranean foods. Am I missing something or do they think that something ending in 'o' must be Italian or Spanish?)
A quick search tells me there are at least 20 Krogers in the Memphis area so at least one must have the availabilty of the one in K'ville. Or is the East just that much more sophisticated than the West?
Seems so!

We tried the Kroger in Farragut - they had nothing and even the people behind the counters didn't know what we were talking about! We had made the trip for nothing - well not nothing, as we witnessed my middle daughter's marriage to her BIL while we were there! Anyway, the British food foray was fruitless! Maybe we just went to the wrong one? We got our information from the Kroger website.

Have you actually purchased the bacon and sausages there? Are they American made?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:57 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why would you travel all the way to Orlando...why not buy the stuff on-line there seem to be many sites selling Brit goodies? I'm lucky...I can buy most of the stuff you mentioned and more locally.
How is Wegmans?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

P.S. If you've actually purchase such at Kroger in Farragut, can you give us the address? Please?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
How is Wegmans?
Not been there for donkey's ages Gruffy.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank. We find the same...have a store nearby that sells loads of British goodies. If you want something he hasn't got he'll do his best to get it for you. He also stocks seasonal stuff and Christmas and Easter. When we first found it we used to shop there every week...now it's every few months.
Hi Jersey, last time I went to Brit store, was for Mint Sauce (Not jelly, ugh jelly), think had to be 6 months ago. Not one of their big customers.

We bought HP sauce, Heinz Jam pudding, custard & (For USC wife) Bourbons, in local Publix. Even that is once in a blue moon.

Guess I have generally got use to American food, even though I do miss British food, occasionally.

Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Wish I could buy Cross & Blackwell baked beans. Really don't like Heinz (British), too much sauce not enough beans. Heinz USA vegetarian are not bad.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Jersey, last time I went to Brit store, was for Mint Sauce (Not jelly, ugh jelly), think had to be 6 months ago. Not one of their big customers.

We bought HP sauce, Heinz Jam pudding, custard & (For USC wife) Bourbons, in local Publix. Even that is once in a blue moon.

Guess I have generally got use to American food, even though I do miss British food, occasionally.

Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Wish I could buy Cross & Blackwell baked beans. Really don't like Heinz (British), too much sauce not enough beans. Heinz USA vegetarian are not bad.

Managed to pry yourself off the beach then?

Frank how could you...take that back. Heinz beans are the food of the gods.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Seems so!

We tried the Kroger in Farragut - they had nothing and even the people behind the counters didn't know what we were talking about! We had made the trip for nothing - well not nothing, as we witnessed my middle daughter's marriage to her BIL while we were there! Anyway, the British food foray was fruitless! Maybe we just went to the wrong one? We got our information from the Kroger website.

Have you actually purchased the bacon and sausages there? Are they American made?
How long since you went there? I was last there about 2 months ago and, as I say, there was a complete aisle of international stuff. British/Irish, German, Mediterranean, Asian and the Indian stuff with the curry sauces, chutneys, pickles, popadoms etc. Went there looking for the bacon and sausage after a recommendation from someone on this forum. (Can't remember who.)

This is the company who supply Kroger and I believe they are based out of Atlanta. We got the bacon and sausage and both were pretty good.

http://www.balsonbutchers.com/

They (Kroger, Farragut not Balson) also have a superb cheese counter with a number of English and European varieties, although these tend to be quite expensive.

Footnote: I have just been informed by my wife that this is a 'Kroger Marketplace' and according to this link, is the only one in TN.

http://www.kroger.com/mykroger/011/P...rketplace.aspx

Might be worth you making another cross state trip and spending some vacation time in the mountains instead of Florida.

Matt.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

How long since you went there? I was last there about 2 months ago and, as I say, there was a complete aisle of international stuff. British/Irish, German, Mediterranean, Asian and the Indian stuff with the curry sauces, chutneys, pickles, popadoms etc. Went there looking for the bacon and sausage after a recommendation from someone on this forum. (Can't remember who.)

This is the company who supply Kroger and I believe they are based out of Atlanta. We got the bacon and sausage and both were pretty good.

http://www.balsonbutchers.com/

They (Kroger, Farragut not Balson) also have a superb cheese counter with a number of English and European varieties, although these tend to be quite expensive.

Footnote: I have just been informed by my wife that this is a 'Kroger Marketplace' and according to this link, is the only one in TN.

http://www.kroger.com/mykroger/011/P...rketplace.aspx

Might be worth you making another cross state trip and spending some vacation time in the mountains instead of Florida.

Matt.
We were there about 2 years ago(?) but I begin to strongly suspect we went to the wrong Kroger, particularly since you say it's a "Marketplace" store, rather than a regular one. The one we tried was a very regular store, which may explain why no one there had any idea what we were talking about.

As for making a cross-state trip, you're very right - it's an easy trip for a 4 day week-end and the scenery is pretty. We haven't tried Balson's sausages or bacon as we haven't wanted to order as much as we'd have to until we knew whether it was to our taste or not.

Thanks so much for your information - we'll give that place a try!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Managed to pry yourself off the beach then?

Frank how could you...take that back. Heinz beans are the food of the gods.
Hi Jersey,
Beach, yes down to 2 times per week. SWMBO, took 5 day week position (Lot of tension around here), ruining our beach time. Had to cut from 4 days to 2, life really is not fair.

I started eating Cross & Blackwell baked beans, around 25 years ago, when Heinz started filling the cans with sauce instead of beans. Once you go C&B, you will never go back. Give them a try.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:13 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Penguinbar,

" Fried Chicken in a Key lime pie, must be interesting flavor.

Do they use white or dark meat?

Reg Frank R.
I never said in a key lime pie! I said fried chicken and key lime pie! Chicken first and then the yummy pie! Publix has much better prices for British Foods than Morton Williams here in NYC. I wish NYC had a Publix!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I never said in a key lime pie! I said fried chicken and key lime pie! Chicken first and then the yummy pie! Publix has much better prices for British Foods than Morton Williams here in NYC. I wish NYC had a Publix!
I was just kidding, I knew what you meant.

Publix, better then Winn Dixie, but can be little pricey.

Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.