Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wake up and smell the coffee

Wake up and smell the coffee

Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:17 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wake up and smell the coffee

Costco's House brand "Kirkland" ground coffee is my favorite. It's 100% Arabica, comes in a giant three pound can for about 7 dollars, has an extremely fine grind and tastes much better than Starbucks, IMO.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:23 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I like Eight O Clock coffee, hazlenut flavour.
Illy is good, too
I also look in TK Maxx as they sell coffee sometimes. At the moment the are selling Godiva coffee and it's very nice.

Mostly though I like my cup of Earl Grey.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:23 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

You get used to it, its an acquired taste I think. I hardly ever drank coffee in the UK, I preferred tea. The Mrs (born in the US) makes coffee so strong your spoon stands up in it. I am a hopeless coffee addict now. I have 4 mugs every morning, two at home and 2 in my to-go cup. Our coffee machine is set to make a pot before we awake. Our coffee machine died a few months ago and had to be sent back under warranty to be repaired - shaken by the experience of not waking to coffee I bought a back-up machine - I think I need checking in for detox.

If I don't have a coffee then I get a terrible headache. I am more than sure it is unhealthy, but I am a caffeine junky

I used to buy speciality coffee, but I like it so strong now that it seems pointless spending good money on it - once you hit saturation level they tend to taste the same. I just buy folgers medium dark or dark. I do enjoy a Starbucks triple shot latte, but thats just all that milk they make it with.

Originally Posted by g1ant
In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than a nice cup of that Kenco stuff from the red can.

But since we moved here, Mrs g1ant insists that we have one of those coffee things that makes a whole pot at a time. So, we gave it a try. I have to admit that I'm getting used to it.

Mrs G puts it on when she leaves for work at 6:40 and by the time I drag myself out of the pit at around 8-ish, it's still nice and warm.

The down side? Well the stuff tastes like sh*t. The tap water is horrible so we use bottled water to make the coffe but it still tastes foul.

I worked out the problem. The stuff she is buying (Maxwell House I think) is just crap coffee.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:31 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
**** all that just use Kenco Colombian instant or Cafe Noir instant....all that pissing around with a percolator for one or two cups is just pretentious rubbish.
have to admit- even though I'm a heathen I hate the taste of most coffee here. I know it's gourmet or whatever but it all tastes burnt to me. I miss the mild taste of instant coffee from back home. The only thing I've found coffee wise that I like here is the international coffees in instant form- french vanilla mocha I think it is.
Add milk and bob's your uncle.

That being said- although I don't like coffee, I drink it all the time at work because-
a. who can be arsed to make tea for just themselves (and where would I get the hot water from anyway?)
b. Peer pressure
c. They want their pound of flesh and I need a kick up the jacksie to get me going at 6am.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

I use one of these:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

have done since they came out and will buy one Stateside when we get there. Fresh coffee every time.

C
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:08 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i have always loved kona coffee however it has to be 100% kona.... we went to the kona plantation in hawaii this year and the smell in there was wonderful

the warming plates are not a good idea unless just freshly brewed....nice idea by your wife but you'll have to get up earlier to drink it
me too...we went to Maui in the summer and bought bags of the Kona...great stuff.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yosser
me too...we went to Maui in the summer and bought bags of the Kona...great stuff.

so did we
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
a. who can be arsed to make tea for just themselves (and where would I get the hot water from anyway?)
b. Peer pressure
c. They want their pound of flesh and I need a kick up the jacksie to get me going at 6am.
I'm so lucky....they installed a hot water dispenser when we moved into this new office when they got the cold water dispenser and nice coffee machine

seem to have converted a few to drinking tea, and they also get PG tips for me, bless
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
the proper expensive stuff or the dodgy mixed stuff? the dodgy fake stuff they sell in Sams' club and BJ's ain't that shite for the money...
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I tried all the brand until Joycee found my favourite
would you believe Publix own brand special roast ...
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:36 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I tried all the brand until Joycee found my favourite
would you believe Publix own brand special roast ...
i like that too. and it's a bit cheaper.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 5:32 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

The wife always drank the Folgers classic roast ... it took my instant saturated taste buds awhile but I love the stuff now ...
Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I make a "special" coffee on Sunday, like Starbucks, Seattle's Best, Christopher Bean or Kroger's Private Stock line etc, all bought whenever on sale. We just bought a pound of Jamaican Blue Mountain while in Ocho Rios on our cruise and I'm looking forward to that. I've never had coffee that knocked my socks off when in the UK, mainly it was instant and it tasted like instant. IMHO not the best way.

Water does make a difference-I grew up on spring water and that's what I like best.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:32 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm so lucky....they installed a hot water dispenser when we moved into this new office when they got the cold water dispenser and nice coffee machine

seem to have converted a few to drinking tea, and they also get PG tips for me, bless

Wow Bob, you must be special!! That's nice they do that for you. My dad's mother (from Mass), was American born and bred, but she only ever drank tea. However, since both her parents came over from the UK that's what she grew up with.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 11:25 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than a nice cup of that Kenco stuff from the red can.

But since we moved here, Mrs g1ant insists that we have one of those coffee things that makes a whole pot at a time. So, we gave it a try. I have to admit that I'm getting used to it.

Mrs G puts it on when she leaves for work at 6:40 and by the time I drag myself out of the pit at around 8-ish, it's still nice and warm.

The down side? Well the stuff tastes like sh*t. The tap water is horrible so we use bottled water to make the coffe but it still tastes foul.

I worked out the problem. The stuff she is buying (Maxwell House I think) is just crap coffee.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.
I cannot remember the last time I drank instant. It's one of the things I dislike about going back across the pond. All my friends still use it.

Your first mistake is not making a fresh pot. If it has been sitting on the warming plate for over 20 or 30 minutes it is done for.

I like stong flavoured, dark, robust coffees. The ones I am getting right now are "Don Francisco" and "Yuban" - both Colombian.

If you want a mild, generic, American coffee pop into a Dunkin' Donuts and try theirs. They sell the Ground Coffee as well as the drink.

p.s. when I worked in the Engine Room on QE2 we used to make our coffee with Evian water. Much better than the stuff we made ourselves even though we could get that straight from the Fresh Water Generator without the chlorine added.

Last edited by TRPardoe; Dec 24th 2006 at 11:27 am. Reason: p.s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.