Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wake up and smell the coffee

Wake up and smell the coffee

Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:21 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wake up and smell the coffee

In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than a nice cup of that Kenco stuff from the red can.

But since we moved here, Mrs g1ant insists that we have one of those coffee things that makes a whole pot at a time. So, we gave it a try. I have to admit that I'm getting used to it.

Mrs G puts it on when she leaves for work at 6:40 and by the time I drag myself out of the pit at around 8-ish, it's still nice and warm.

The down side? Well the stuff tastes like sh*t. The tap water is horrible so we use bottled water to make the coffe but it still tastes foul.

I worked out the problem. The stuff she is buying (Maxwell House I think) is just crap coffee.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:35 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wake up and smell the coffee

Originally Posted by g1ant
In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than a nice cup of that Kenco stuff from the red can.

But since we moved here, Mrs g1ant insists that we have one of those coffee things that makes a whole pot at a time. So, we gave it a try. I have to admit that I'm getting used to it.

Mrs G puts it on when she leaves for work at 6:40 and by the time I drag myself out of the pit at around 8-ish, it's still nice and warm.

The down side? Well the stuff tastes like sh*t. The tap water is horrible so we use bottled water to make the coffe but it still tastes foul.

I worked out the problem. The stuff she is buying (Maxwell House I think) is just crap coffee.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.
She needs to step it up a notch and buy better coffee, i.e. Millstone. Cost about $8 a pound. Buy in supermarket.

A light coffee would be breakfast blend, a little more flavour would be Columbia medium roast. You can get a light roast, medium roast, or a foglifter, stronger roast.

One of your problems is letting it sit for about an hour. Fresh coffee is much better. She could make herself some, and then refill the pot with coffee, so that you could switch it on. Or you could buy one of those newer pots that are all the rage, whereby it makes 1 cup at a time. Stale coffee is not good.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing beats Seattle's Best Coffee IMO! It is available at most grocery stores.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my first suggestion would be to make a fresh pot. An hour and a half on a warming plate will make the best coffee in the world taste like crap.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:43 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed..

And instant coffee here is shite.. but there is a great choice of coffee beans you'll have to try several and decide which one you like most..
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Well, my first suggestion would be to make a fresh pot. An hour and a half on a warming plate will make the best coffee in the world taste like crap.
I got up especailly early this morning, and it was less than 15 minutes old. Still tasted like crap.

If I was going to brew fresh, then a tub of Kenco instant will be coming back from the UK with me next week.
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Kenco and Maxwell House were the same, as both are made by Kraft. I noticed a difference in taste here going from v hard water to soft water (I'm used to it now I guess).

We buy Millstone, and drink it straight away. Seattle's Best is very good as are some of the Starbucks variants--we tend to get gift boxes of those at Christmas. See if you can find one of those gift sampler things in your supermarket-an easy way to try a few different types.
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i have always loved kona coffee however it has to be 100% kona.... we went to the kona plantation in hawaii this year and the smell in there was wonderful

the warming plates are not a good idea unless just freshly brewed....nice idea by your wife but you'll have to get up earlier to drink it
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than .......................e have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.

Tried using a percolator? It tastes better.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:58 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you are but if you can get Cravens coffee it's delicious!! I've only seen it on the West coast in stores but they now do online orders.
The company was started by and English guy, Simon Craven.
The trick, IMHO is to grind the beans yourself and store them in the freezer, perfect cup every time
http://www.cravenscoffee.com/
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Try buying your coffee from an independent store, and look out for Fare Trade coffee (where more $$$ goes to the poor guys actually producing the coffee).

I usually buy Sumatra from our local Coop - lovely. They have about 30 different varieties, so one is spoilt for choice.

Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:10 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered some blackcurrant tea online from the English Tea Store. I put in one packet of Equal and a slice of lemon. OMG, it's so good.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mallory
I ordered some blackcurrant tea online from the English Tea Store. I put in one packet of Equal and a slice of lemon. OMG, it's so good.

errr this is about coffee
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a big coffee drinker myself...always drink tea when I'm at home. I put a Britax water filter on my tap years ago...from Costco. It's excellent and takes away that horrid chorinated taste...it tastes just like bottled water. In fact a while ago I read that filtered tap water had far less bacteria in it than bottled water.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not a big coffee drinker myself...always drink tea when I'm at home. I put a Britax water filter on my tap years ago...from Costco. It's excellent and takes away that horrid chorinated taste...it tastes just like bottled water. In facr a while ago I did read that tap filtered water had far less bacteria in it than bottled water.
the only time we use tap water is to clean our teeth...i even filter the pussies water

i love my morning cuppa but then i love the smell of coffee percolating in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.