Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The waiting....

The waiting....

Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:30 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Question The waiting....

What are some of your initial thoughts when you stop for a moment and think about the waiting times you have or will incur during your process?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The waiting....

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
What are some of your initial thoughts when you stop for a moment and think about the waiting times you have or will incur during your process?
What process?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:44 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What process?

The process of getting someone into the US, or you, yourself, going to America... I am under the impression that's what most of the people here on these forums are here for, yeah?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

The process of getting someone into the US, or you, yourself, going to America... I am under the impression that's what most of the people here on these forums are here for, yeah?
Most of us are here already, mate. What are you waiting for?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:52 pm
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Most of us are here already, mate. What are you waiting for?

My unborn childs father to get here

ps there are other processes to go through right? like the work permit, residency, interviews, and such all related to being in America.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

ps there are other processes to go through right? like the work permit, residency, interviews, and such all related to being in America.
It took my fiance 14 months to get his K-1 visa to come to the USA to marry me. My first thought was that it wouldn't take that long, I was thinking 4 to 6 months, tops. Once I realized how long it would take, my next thought was....ok....just pretend it's life as usual, do all the paperwork on time, be prepared for the next steps, and just sit back and live my normal life until the visa is issued. That's about all you can do, really.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It totally depends what visa is being applied for, how many steps are involved.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:59 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

hey, it passes the time.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through the process twice, once as a fiancee and once as a wife.

First time I was overwhelmed and confused by the paperwork involved, and assumed it would all take years. When it only took a few months I was quite taken aback.

When I got here I had to go through adjustment of status (from K1 to green card holder) and that was even worse.

Second time round I had much more idea what to do and how long it was likely to take, but still worried about the lack of control over it all and the chance that it could all take years rather than months, and the fact that I could do very little about it all.

My husband went to the US before us, leaving me in the UK with three small children, a house to sell, car to sell, many belongings to get rid of, and the rest to ship. It was very hard not knowing when we would be able to join him.

Worst was for the children - I wanted them to have a date for when they would be with him again. In the end we only spent 2 months apart, and I got my green card shortly after he left, so we had a 'countdown to seeing daddy again' calendar and crossed off days every evening before bed.

So really the whole thing was a bit of an uncontrollable nightmare, very difficult for a Type A personality like me. Luckily for me it all went well.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

bubbleberry has a spectacular aura aboutbubbleberry has a spectacular aura aboutbubbleberry has a spectacular aura about

The K1 visa seems like a huge pain in the ass.

I came in on a tourist visa, and then got married.

I paid fees of around $1500, and waited about two months for a work permit, but it really seems like the easiest way, especially if you do not want to be separated from the one you love.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbleberry
The K1 visa seems like a huge pain in the ass.
PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST - what you are recommending represents immigration FRAUD!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In the Immigration Forums yes...but in this forum most are already living in the US. They could be in the process of buying a house, car, going back to the UK etc etc etc.

BTW welcome to BE.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:40 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother it's awful here. Crime, excessive heat, diabolical television shows, poor people, etc etc.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

bubbleberry has a spectacular aura aboutbubbleberry has a spectacular aura aboutbubbleberry has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Elvira
PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST - what you are recommending represents immigration FRAUD!
Sorry Elvira, but I have no intention of deleting my post.

To clarify the matter, if you enter the us on a tourist visa, with the intention of being a tourist, but then decide you cannot leave your loved one, and get married, you simply have to adjust your status, and explain the situation,.

If however you enter with a tourist visa, with the intent of getting married, then you are obviously going to face some issues.

Since I met my wife we have not spent a single day apart, no government is going to change that!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:49 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbleberry
Sorry Elvira, but I have no intention of deleting my post.

To clarify the matter, if you enter the us on a tourist visa, with the intention of being a tourist, but then decide you cannot leave your loved one, and get married, you simply have to adjust your status, and explain the situation,.

If however you enter with a tourist visa, with the intent of getting married, then you are obviously going to face some issues.

Since I met my wife we have not spent a single day apart, no government is going to change that!
I came as a tourist with the intention of getting married and ended up doing so because it was less bother to circumvent the law than to abide by it. I don't feel bad because this country belonged to the native Americans anyway and I am not going to abide by rules put in place by the rabble offspring of scoundrels, vagabonds and thieves that were shipped here by us 400 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.