Reload this Page >

Waited for nothing?

Waited for nothing?

Old Apr 4th 2003, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

VinnyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waited for nothing?

Hello All

I'm looking for some help, and my apologies if this was repeated elsewhere in the forum.

My fiance and I have recently received our second NOA (yes, an approval!). The next step is to await for docs to arrive at the US Consulate and then begin the health exam, criminal background check, etc.

Since applying for the visa (about 6 months ago), our employment situation has changed. We are now looking at working in Canada versus in the United States. "IF" that is the case, do we still use the K1 visa? In other words, rather then the Canadian going to the US, the American will now be coming to Canada.

Thanks.

Vinny-C
Old Apr 5th 2003, 2:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waited for nothing?

At least one of us has completely missed the point here.

You can be absolutely certain that a US K1 fiancé visa is of no use to you, or your fiancé, in Canada.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

VinnyC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input Pulaski

I should have qualified my question better. What are the implications/logistics of using a K1 visa so that we can get married in the US and have the option to work in the US at a later date without having to go through this whole application process again.

I am sure there is another visa other then a K1 for US Citizens marrying outside of US and then applying for US residency for their spouse. I was hoping that I might be able to use the K1 visa for this purpose, but my sense tells me otherwise.

Comments welcomed.

Regards,

Vinny-C
Old Apr 5th 2003, 11:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by VinnyC
Thanks for the input Pulaski

I should have qualified my question better. What are the implications/logistics of using a K1 visa so that we can get married in the US and have the option to work in the US at a later date without having to go through this whole application process again.

I am sure there is another visa other then a K1 for US Citizens marrying outside of US and then applying for US residency for their spouse. I was hoping that I might be able to use the K1 visa for this purpose, but my sense tells me otherwise.

Comments welcomed.

Regards,

Vinny-C
Once you're married a fiancé visa is no longer applicable. You'll need a spouses visa, and if you haven't "used" the fiancé visa then I think that you may have to start over. If you are certain of what you want to do, I'd cut the process short now and save any fees that you haven't yet paid.

However I would say that to travel to the US, marry a US citizen, and leave again, you don't need any sort of visa - in fact there is no visa for this situation. ... I know, it is exactly what I did, and it was a year later that I did apply for a spouse's visa to live and work in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2003 at 11:55 pm.