Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wage war on petrol?

Wage war on petrol?

Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wage war on petrol?

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Some Americans have joined an e-mail war on Big Oil to protest record high gasoline prices, calling for a long-term boycott of the nation's leading fuel retailer Exxon Mobil.

The move is a variation of Web-based protests against painful pump prices last year that asked motorists to avoid buying fuel on a certain day, and analysts said this one could have a similar effect at the pumps: unnoticeable. ..."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...rc=rss/topNews

So would any of you bother with it? Think it's a waste of time? What would be to much to pay for petrol for you guys?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wage war on petrol?

Originally Posted by Bob
"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Some Americans have joined an e-mail war on Big Oil to protest record high gasoline prices, calling for a long-term boycott of the nation's leading fuel retailer Exxon Mobil.

The move is a variation of Web-based protests against painful pump prices last year that asked motorists to avoid buying fuel on a certain day, and analysts said this one could have a similar effect at the pumps: unnoticeable. ..."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...rc=rss/topNews

So would any of you bother with it? Think it's a waste of time? What would be to much to pay for petrol for you guys?
Wouldn't it be funny if Americans changed their choice of motor vehicle to something more fuel efficient?

NC Penguin
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Wouldn't it be funny if Americans changed their choice of motor vehicle to something more fuel efficient?

Those Prius hybrids are pretty good, and can't be doing to badly, theres' a bit of a waiting list to get one...but don't see them main stream, bit of a limp hippy image isn't it....something they need to sort out...
Does make you laugh when you do see these news stories, everyone that complains do seem to be driving huge suv's..
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:11 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Those Prius hybrids are pretty good, and can't be doing to badly, theres' a bit of a waiting list to get one...but don't see them main stream, bit of a limp hippy image isn't it....something they need to sort out...
Does make you laugh when you do see these news stories, everyone that complains do seem to be driving huge suv's..
Well those SUV's are going to disapear...in fact most of the U.S.A. economy is going to take a dive acording to this guy. Fascinating reading.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...region=single1
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:14 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
I had mine in the shop over the weekend to fix the computer. They gave me a shiny new Corolla as a rental. I couldn't believe how much of a gas hog is was compared(and Corollas are pretty good with gas). When you drive a Prius and fill up once a month, you can't see what all the fuss is about gas prices, but now I can see why people are complaining. Couldn't imagine how much it costs to run an SUV.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by adeshell
I had mine in the shop over the weekend to fix the computer. They gave me a shiny new Corolla as a rental. I couldn't believe how much of a gas hog is was compared(and Corollas are pretty good with gas). When you drive a Prius and fill up once a month, you can't see what all the fuss is about gas prices, but now I can see why people are complaining. Couldn't imagine how much it costs to run an SUV.
so you've got a prius then? What are they really like to drive anyway?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd start to get annoyed if it was fluctuating between $4-5 a gallon. I looked at MPG of every car I drove and in the end I decided to go a little lower on the mileage and higher on the performance. I still get decent amount of miles from a tank, but I know I could be getting more. You have to ask yourself, do you really need a 360hp car or will 160 do you just fine?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying to fight the big oil companies is a waste of time IMO. Hybrids are just a technology that will probably go away soon as they were developed to bridge the gap between oil (gas/diesel) powered vehicles and hydrogen powered fuel cells which are coming (all manufacturers have invested in fuel cell technology) only the japs have really done a great deal with hybrids and the germans have called them a waste of time as you can get better fuel economy from developing diesel. I work for a company that designs/ manufactures alternative fuel systems. I think the big oil companies are going to roll out hydrogen refuelling around 2008 once they figure out how to own most of the water industry and form a price gouging monopoly on it all. America is addicted to oil like heroin.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Got this e-mail this morning........

BUY YOUR GAS, - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

READ ON-Why didn't George W. think of this?

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought iS to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil :

Shell........................205,742,000 Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Citgo.......................0 barrels
Sunoco...................0 barrels
Conoco...................0 barrels Sinclair....................0 barrels
BP/Phillips..............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARC0.....................0 barrels
All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers........

Their words not mine.

I usually buy gas from BP because it's cheaper and nearer than other gas stations, and because I thought BP stood for British Petroleum but apparently not any more.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:21 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
so you've got a prius then? What are they really like to drive anyway?
Pretty good. The pickup obviously isn't as good as a regular car, but its not bad. Otherwise, it pretty much drives like anything else. The eerie thing is how quiet it is, it seems like its stalled when you stop until you get used to it.

I have a 2003 and the pickup on the new models is a lot better.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If I could afford a diesel, I would have got one. The new ones are way ahead of the petrol versions in my opinion. Probably would even go the whole hog and get a bio-diesel conversion, only fill up once a year or so. The rest of the time, chip fat from Burger King!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:33 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

In Texas, I think its the chevy truck making plant has to shut down for 2 weeks, as bugger all people are buying trucks

You can get $10,000 knocked off the sticker price, but need to re-mortgage the house just to fill her up!

Its only a matter of time, before Ford, Chevy and Dodge start laying people off and the goverment will drop gas prices again so we can all run out and buy a "Hemi".

Swings and bloody roundabouts!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by adeshell
Pretty good. The pickup obviously isn't as good as a regular car, but its not bad. Otherwise, it pretty much drives like anything else. The eerie thing is how quiet it is, it seems like its stalled when you stop until you get used to it.
Does the engine only stop when you come to a halt, or can you drive around on electric only, if you have sufficient charge? I have a Honda Civic hybrid now, after my Insight was wrecked, and the engine turning off when stopping is still freaky. I just wondered how the Toyota tech differed, as the Prius gets much higher city mpg and has a huuuge waiting list compared to the Civic!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

Just for kicks, I just checked. Average price in UK right now is 85.3 p a litre, which translates to just over six bucks a gallon.

Course, you tell Americans that and it just further fuels that whole WE'RE NUMBER ONE thing.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Brit
Just for kicks, I just checked. Average price in UK right now is 85.3 p a litre, which translates to just over six bucks a gallon.

Course, you tell Americans that and it just further fuels that whole WE'RE NUMBER ONE thing.
yeah but you need to drive 4 times as far to get anywhere over here.
it's all relative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.