Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wage deductions and driving in USA - new Visa

Wage deductions and driving in USA - new Visa

Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wage deductions and driving in USA - new Visa

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How Noo Yawkers want to describe that is entirely up to them.
Soon I won't be a New Yorker but a not-to-eager resident of the deep south and back of the beyond State of Mississippi. There will be no more going to the City for me
Old Jan 8th 2016, 11:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Soon I won't be a New Yorker but a not-to-eager resident of the deep south and back of the beyond State of Mississippi. There will be no more going to the City for me. ....
I went from not-quite-Manhattan (commuting into Manhattan from Valhalla), to the not-so-deep South. Wild horses couldn't drag me back!
Old Jan 9th 2016, 4:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I went from not-quite-Manhattan (commuting into Manhattan from Valhalla), to the not-so-deep South. Wild horses couldn't drag me back!
Jim is that you????????????????????????
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Well we're approaching five years in the Tarrytowns and still love living there!
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Jim is that you????????????????????????
Sorry, "Jim" is not my name.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Alexdm50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thanks for all the advice.

So I'm thinking of doing around 20 hours automatic lessons here in the UK then moving across doing about 10 hours and taking the driving test.

Realistically is this enough lessons for the US test do we think? How long do you think is a realistic timeframe from landing to getting my licence. It's a bit of a nightmare but until I get my licence I will be getting taxis to work on a daily basis!

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Alexdm50
.... Realistically is this enough lessons for the US test do we think? .....
Maybe, the time to learn to drive is unique to each individual. Personally I think it is plenty, but others struggle to learn to drive safely - and some never manage to learn to drive safely despite getting a license!
How long do you think is a realistic timeframe from landing to getting my licence. .....
That depends on the waiting time for doing the road test. You can't register for the road test until you have done the mandatory classroom training. In my experience, which is 14 years out of date, the wait time can vary from three months (local to where I was living in Westchester County, immediately north of NYC) to the following week (half way to the back of beyond in Herkimer, upstate NY, where I ended up taking my road test.) Each county further north from Westchester, had a slightly shorter waiting time, but I wanted to get my test out of the way.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Alexdm50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Additionally I'm noticing on the DMV it says 50 hours supervised. I'm 29 years old so will 50 hours driving supervised be relevant to myself?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexdm50
Additionally I'm noticing on the DMV it says 50 hours supervised. I'm 29 years old so will 50 hours driving supervised be relevant to myself?

Thanks!
The supervised hours is for under-21 (or 18) learners, not adults. I booked my road test in Westchester about a month in advance. I'd suspect eastern Suffolk county won't have too long a waiting list but you could call round the nearer DMV offices to ask.