Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wage deductions and driving in USA - new Visa

Wage deductions and driving in USA - new Visa

Old Jan 7th 2016, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Alexdm50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wage deductions and driving in USA - new Visa

Also RPJS thanks for the hugely detailed messages I've only just seen them appears we sent the messages at the same time which caused me to miss them!

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexdm50
I meant automatic not manual sorry.

I can either take a number of lessons here in the U.K. - then arrive get my licence and book my test or just start learning in the hamptons I figure with about 20 lessons I can pass in the USA. My concern is is it really beneficial to take a crash course in lessons here in London when road rules are completely different! Thankyou all.
If I were you I would start learning in the UK - in general the standard of tuition is VASTLY superior to the instructors over here. I speak from my own and my wife's personal experience. The rules aren't all that different and you can look them up online beforehand. They can turn right on red (after coming to a complete stop) here but that is about the only major difference other than there are STOP signs and you need to come to a complete stop at those. There are Yield signs but those are fewer.

Hoffage
Old Jan 7th 2016, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I can either take a number of lessons here in the U.K. - then arrive get my licence and book my test or just start learning in the hamptons I figure with about 20 lessons I can pass in the USA. My concern is is it really beneficial to take a crash course in lessons here in London when road rules are completely different! Thankyou all.
Yes because in the UK, you'll learn how to drive. In the US, you'll be taught how to pass the test and you'll have to figure out how to drive after you get your license.

Well all the safe bits and how not to crash.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 3:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
If I were you I would start learning in the UK - in general the standard of tuition is VASTLY superior to the instructors over here. I speak from my own and my wife's personal experience. The rules aren't all that different and you can look them up online beforehand. They can turn right on red (after coming to a complete stop) here but that is about the only major difference other than there are STOP signs and you need to come to a complete stop at those. There are Yield signs but those are fewer.

Hoffage
The other big difference is, you can only park in the flow of traffic over here, you can't park on the other side of the road facing traffic.

It's something like a ticket for parking 16"+ inches from the curb or whatever the exact distance is.

Probably can't drive on the interstate in NY on a learners permit, but you can in MA.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 3:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I will be moving to New York in the next 3 months - hamptons to be exact and here in the UK I'm use to the typical wage deductions so national insurance, tax etc. What can I expect in New York?

Finally I've never learned to drive as I'm based in London it was not necessary and now do not have enough time to pass my driving test. On a work visa can I take my test in the USA - I will be on a 3 year work visa. I intend to first take my theory and motorbike test when I arrive and once I have this licence commence on a driving licence. I'm concerned I will arrive and will not be allowed to take any tests or lessons due to not being a US national!

Thanks!
Did you perhaps mean a US Citizen? Here is who is a US National: "U.S. national" refers to individuals who were born in American Samoa or were born in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands who have made the election to be treated as U.S. nationals and not as U.S. citizens."

Once you have your work visa and your social security card you can start the procedure to get your driver's license. You can find the particulars under New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.

You sit the written test first and if you pass, then you can schedule the actual driving test when you are ready/competent behind the wheel of a car. You also need to take the five hour class which can be done at the driving school you are using. Why would you want to have a driver's license first which only allows you to operate a motorcycle? IMHO it is preferable to go for first class driver's license first and then take the test for the motorcycle category.

Your NYS Driver's License will be valid for the length of time of your visa and can be renewed if your visa is renewed and you have proof of the renewal.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 7th 2016 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hoffage
This varies in the lower NYS area. In the Bronx and Manhattan, there is NO turning on red allowed. In other areas, Hamptons included it is only where there is no sign that prohibits you from doing so.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:25 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Also as very little happens in East Hampton, the police cars have nothing better to do then find a spot to sit and wait for people speeding, see one at least once every day, you will learn the spots soon enough.

Also I would really just get everything sorted licence wise in the UK, 3 months is more than enough time, even if you are not a especially fast learner.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I would start learning in the UK - in general the standard of tuition is VASTLY superior to the instructors over here. I speak from my own and my wife's personal experience. The rules aren't all that different and you can look them up online beforehand. They can turn right on red (after coming to a complete stop) here but that is about the only major difference other than there are STOP signs and you need to come to a complete stop at those. There are Yield signs but those are fewer. Hoffage
COMPLETE stop?? What's that? Never seen one of those around here!
I agree. I would take lessons in the UK just to learn the basics of car control etc.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Jan 7th 2016 at 4:40 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

I meant automatic not manual sorry.

I would not bother to take lessons until you arrive in the US. Yhey do drive on the opposite side you know. It will be easier to learn in the US. You will be more comfortable in not having to re-think what you have to do in a situation.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruceba
I would not bother to take lessons until you arrive in the US. Yhey do drive on the opposite side you know. It will be easier to learn in the US. You will be more comfortable in not having to re-think what you have to do in a situation.
I don't agree. Learn car control on roads you are familiar with, then learn the road rules when you are somewhat familiar with driving a car.

Originally Posted by Rete
This varies in the lower NYS area. In the Bronx and Manhattan, there is NO turning on red allowed......
It's NYC, not just the Bronx and Manhattan.

"Left on red" from a one-way street onto a one-way street is also illegal in NYC but is legal in the rest of New York and most other states. Exceptions are: South Dakota, Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, and the District of Columbia.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 7th 2016 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
COMPLETE stop?? What's that? Never seen one of those around here!
I agree. I would take lessons in the UK just to learn the basics of car control etc.
Yes, I know most people still do 'roll' the stop sign ... but legally speaking they 'should' stop. In the UK you are allowed to perform a gliding/rolling first at most road junctions, they don't have as many stop signs over there ....

Hoffage
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know most people still do 'roll' the stop sign ... but legally speaking they 'should' stop. In the UK you are allowed to perform a gliding/rolling first at most road junctions, they don't have as many stop signs over there ....

Hoffage
Ah the Californian roll lol
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:00 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't agree. Learn car control on roads you are familiar with, then learn the road rules when you are somewhat familiar with driving a car.

It's NYC, not just the Bronx and Manhattan.

"Left on red" from a one-way street onto a one-way street is also illegal in NYC but is legal in the rest of New York and most other states. Exceptions are: South Dakota, Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, and the District of Columbia.
Manhattan is New York City. I never heard about the left on red on a one way street before being legal anywhere in NYS. Thanks for that info.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:04 pm
Concierge

For those of us who live just 24 miles from Times Square and have worked in Manhattan/NYC for 40 odd years, Manhattan is New York City. Manhattan is a borough as is Queens, Bronx, etc. Then there are counties of New York City, i.e. Kings County (Brooklyn), Queens County (Queens), Richmond County (Staten Island), etc. If you are sending mail to the Bronx, the address is Bronx, New York. If you addressed the envelope to 123 235th Street, New York City, New York without the appropriate zip code, it would not be delivered. It would have to be addressed to the Bronx, New York.

If someone from the boroughs or the suburbs say they are going into the City, they are talking about New York City which is the Island of Manhattan. If you are going to the Bronx, you would not say you are going to the City or to New York City.

New Yorkers do not think of New York City as including all of the boroughs. It is just the Island of Manhattan. It is a stand alone city with its own zip code, telephone exchange, etc. Are we strange? Yup, we New Yorkers are. Just as the definition of what constitutes New York City is strange to some.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
For those of us who live just 24 miles from Times Square and have worked in Manhattan/NYC for 40 odd years, Manhattan is New York City. Manhattan is a borough as is Queens, Bronx, etc. Then there are counties of New York City, i.e. Kings County (Brooklyn), Queens County (Queens), Richmond County (Staten Island), etc. If you are sending mail to the Bronx, the address is Bronx, New York. If you addressed the envelope to 123 235th Street, New York City, New York without the appropriate zip code, it would not be delivered. It would have to be addressed to the Bronx, New York.

If someone from the boroughs or the suburbs say they are going into the City, they are talking about New York City which is the Island of Manhattan. If you are going to the Bronx, you would not say you are going to the City or to New York City.

New Yorkers do not think of New York City as including all of the boroughs. It is just the Island of Manhattan. It is a stand alone city with its own zip code, telephone exchange, etc. Are we strange? Yup, we New Yorkers are. Just as the definition of what constitutes New York City is strange to some.
London is arguably similar, with the City of London being only one square mile and most of "London" actually being the City of Westminster, but in all the years I lived in London, I never heard ANYONE say they were "going to Westminster". .... But I digress. The traffic law pertaining to "no left on red" is specific, so far as I can tell, to "the five boroughs of New York City". How Noo Yawkers want to describe that is entirely up to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.