Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

w9 tax question

w9 tax question

Old May 30th 2013, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: w9 tax question

Originally Posted by medabots
this company wouldn't be the ones to forward it to the irs, right? it'd be my responsibility when tax season comes around next april? as long as i'm paying my taxes, that's all they care about, isn't it?
If you make over $600, the company is supposed to report that amount to the IRS and send you a 1099-MISC at the end of the year.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1099-MIS...aneous-Income-
Old May 30th 2013, 5:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medabots
and i could then show that 1099 when i do my tax return next april? but are the irs notified before it's tax season next year?
Your issue is not with IRS. IRS wants you to report all your earnings, even if they are unauthorized or illegal earnings.

Your issue is with USCIS / DHS and not having permission from THEM to earn anything just yet.

Rene
Old May 30th 2013, 6:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the money earned being taxable, I disagree that the activity is employment as defined by the INA.

In any case, unauthorized "work" is generally overlooked when the spouse of a US citizen is adjusting status.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by kimilseung
I think this activity would be considered work and liable to tax.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; May 30th 2013 at 6:11 pm.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Will they?
Originally Posted by Noorah101
They will be claiming they hired an individual (sole proprietor) to do some work.
I do expect they will be issuing a 1099, my guess is a 1099-MISC with the payments shown under item 7.
At the end of the year, you will receive a 1099 statement from this company, showing how much you earned from them, and you will use the 1099 to report these earnings on your tax return.
Regards, JEff
Old May 30th 2013, 6:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Resident for tax purposes, the form is W-9. Whether he's got his EAD or not I have to say sounds academic, why break two laws when you can only break one?
Old May 30th 2013, 6:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Will they?
Well, the *should*

Rene
Old May 30th 2013, 7:09 pm

Should they? Why?

Regards, JEff
Well, the *should*

Rene
Old May 30th 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Should they? Why?

Regards, JEff
Why don't you just tell me where I'm misunderstanding something. I thought employers had to report this kind of thing, but I guess you're saying they don't.

Rene
Old May 30th 2013, 8:34 pm

Why do you consider that people who get payments for filling out surveys are employees, or contractors?

I don't disagree that the payments have to be reported, but see post #19 again.

Regards, JEff

Why don't you just tell me where I'm misunderstanding something. I thought employers had to report this kind of thing, but I guess you're saying they don't.

Rene
Old May 30th 2013, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

medabots is an unknown quantity at this point

well i've been doing studies with them since february, and with this next $50 that i'm trying to get, will total it $200 earnt. in no way would i ever consider this employment- it's just a bit of money to be able to take my wife and mil out for a meal on occasion

not sure what to do here..what would i put on the w9 if i was a pr or citizen and was unemployed?
Old May 30th 2013, 9:47 pm

I'm going to bow out of this thread because I don't fully understand everything, so better not to comment.

From my own experience, my immigrant husband is self employed. He wanted his brother (who is not a PR or a citizen but is legally here in the USA and has an EAD) to do some work for him as a subcontractor. His brother had to complete a W-9 which we gave to our CPA. At the end of the year, my husband claimed the money he paid his brother as a business deduction on his tax return. His brother received a 1099 and claimed the income on his own tax return. Therefore, I assumed someone who earns income and receives a 1099 had to complete a W-9, and that the person asking for the W-9 (the person issuing the payment) would report that expense on their tax return as a business deduction, like we did....but I guess that is not always the case.

Rene
Old May 30th 2013, 10:26 pm

I don't think your experience, Sadegh's use of his brother as a subcontractor, is comparable to what medabots is describing. But, like you, I also don't fully understand everything here and so will also bow out with the suggestion that medabots discuss the activity he is engaged in with a tax adviser to see if a W-9 is appropriate.

I also sense that medabots may be conflating being a resident alien, as IRS defines it for tax purposes, with having Permanent Resident immigration status. They are not the same thing.

Regards, JEff

I'm going to bow out of this thread because I don't fully understand everything, so better not to comment.

From my own experience, ....

Rene

Last edited by jeffreyhy; May 30th 2013 at 10:29 pm.