W2 question

Old Jan 20th 2019, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

dee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default W2 question

Hi,

I have a work related immigration question that hopefully a seasoned member on here can clear up for me, (if Noorah or Rete could reply that would be appreciated)

My first job in the US was as a recruiter for a staffing company (company A).
​​​​​​
When I joined I was in the temp/probationary period phase and was paid hourly, company A had an internal payroll team that paid it's employees on assignment to our clients. When you became a salaried employee your checks and payroll went through a PEO company who processed Company A's corporate employees. The check had company A's name and the payroll company name on it

Now we are in tax season I received two w2's one from when I was hourly and the other for when I was salaried for the same job due to changing payroll midway through the tax year.

When I had my aos interview I was asked what I did/worked for etc and if I had any other jobs to which I answered recruiter for "Company A" and no other jobs as the recruiter position was the only job I had at the time. I never mentioned anything about the payroll company processing our checks as I did not think of anything about it at the time.

I know I answered correctly and have not been required to enter my US employment information on any US immigration forms thus far, though receiving two W2s for the one job is ok? As one has the payroll PEO company name who does Company A's payroll for salaried employees and the other has Company A on it for hourly.

The Mrs said all is fine and I know I am probably over thinking this and all is fine, I just get worried as I don't want it to effect roc or citizenship.

Last edited by dee98; Jan 20th 2019 at 5:39 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: W2 question

Sounds ok. No issues as long as you file both in your taxes

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax...care-you-3714/.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 6:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're fine. Your initial employment with Company "A" was on a probationary basis hence the hourly wage and once you passed the probationary period you were hired as a full time employee with a set annual salary thus the different W-2. Your answer was correct at the time of the interview. For tax purposes, you use both W-2s, giving the total as your annual salary for 2018.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

dee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your responses and reassurance I will file both with my taxes to reflect my full amount I earned whilst at company A in 2018.

Last edited by dee98; Jan 20th 2019 at 7:21 pm.