British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   W**ky ER (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/w%2A%2Aky-er-342125/)

dbj1000 Dec 10th 2005 3:33 pm

W**ky ER

So what's with the ER script writers and wanking? And do they read BE?

Last week the first line of the show was "That's the wankiest idea ever!" from Neela.

Someone here pointed out that what it was missing was the required hand movement...

...so this week, in the first 2 minutes of the show, Neela turns to a group of her male colleagues and calls them a "bunch of wankers"... and 2 seconds later they're all doing the hand movement... which it turns out is actually the start of a game of paper-scissors-stone!

gruffbrown Dec 10th 2005 3:38 pm

Re: W**ky ER

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Last week the first line of the show was "That's the wankiest idea ever!" from Neela.

Someone here pointed out that what it was missing was the required hand movement...

...so this week, in the first 2 minutes of the show, Neela turns to a group of her male colleagues and calls them a "bunch of wankers"... and 2 seconds later they're all doing the hand movement... which it turns out is actually the start of a game of paper-scissors-stone!

Heard it on 'Family Guy' the other day as well, it's spreading :)

elfman Dec 10th 2005 3:41 pm

I'm sure I remember a couple of seasons ago Abby used the word "wanker" when referring to the bloke Dr Corday was seeing at the time.

HunterGreen Dec 10th 2005 8:23 pm

Peggy Bundy is from Wanker County, Wisconsin and her maiden name is Wanker. :)

And she's old. :)

NC Penguin Dec 10th 2005 9:26 pm

Maybe the writers are trying to attract more British viewership by slipping in Brit lingo.

Sadly, it ain't working for me. I haven't watched any of this series of ER...

NC Penguin

Rushman Dec 10th 2005 9:37 pm

Geoffrey, the black English Butler in "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" called Will and Charlton a "pair of Wankers" a few weeks back.

Funny, I thought the show was supposed to be a fictional sit com, not a true life documentary.

Rete Dec 10th 2005 9:54 pm

I thought she was raised in the UK before migrating with her family to the US. That would explain the use of the term.

Most probably a few UK writers have hit the Hollywood scene.

Gill and Rob Dec 11th 2005 8:43 am

Sorry for butting in {I'm in NZ}, I was at a conference in OZ a few weeks ago and one of the speakers used the term "wankfest", when talking about teenage boys. I blushed :blush:

Gill

Partystar Dec 14th 2005 7:23 pm

I'm pretty sure they do it to bypass the censoring.

BritGuyTN Dec 14th 2005 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
I'm pretty sure they do it to bypass the censoring.

CENSORING - I thought this was the land of free speech

CarlM Dec 14th 2005 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
Geoffrey, the black English Butler in "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" called Will and Charlton a "pair of Wankers" a few weeks back.

Funny, I thought the show was supposed to be a fictional sit com, not a true life documentary.

Id love to add my thoughts, but i am off for a wa.. err.. cuppa.

snowbunny Dec 14th 2005 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
CENSORING - I thought this was the land of free speech

The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Patrick Dec 14th 2005 11:42 pm

On Family Guy the other night Stewie went to the BBC to find a tv show, the woman kicked him out and called him a "grotty little wanker"

syllk Dec 15th 2005 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Patrick
On Family Guy the other night Stewie went to the BBC to find a tv show, the woman kicked him out and called him a "grotty little wanker"

God I loved that episode..."Want to take a dump in Mother Maggie's shoes? C'mon then, let's take a dump in Mother Maggie's shoes." :D

Englishmum Dec 15th 2005 1:01 pm

Damn you!

I have no idea why, but as I was reading through this thread a song which I vaguely remember from my teenage years (mid-late 70s). I can't remember who sang it and the record was banned from Radio 1 because of the lyrics...and all I can remember is someone singing this song in the style of George Formby and his banjo;

In my head I can keep hearing:

"I'm a wanker
I'm a wanker
And it does me good, like it bloody well should
I'm a wanker
I'm a wanker......." etc.

Might have been Judge Dredd? Quite a few of his songs were banned on Radio 1.

I'm now trying to think of other banned records - the obvious one is 'Relax' by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, as DJ Mike Read thought the lyrics were disgusting.....of course it went straight to no.1.

I think Je'Taime was also banned (some French bloke and I think Jane Birkin apparently having sex whilst singing.... :D )

"Love to Love You Baby" by Donna Summer wasn't banned though and that is pretty obvious that she's supposed to be having sex and having an orgasm - must have been a quickie though as the record is only about 3 minutes long LOL! :D