Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voting in the UK General Election from Overseas

Wikiposts

Voting in the UK General Election from Overseas

Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:16 am
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of
Default Re: Voting in the UK General Election from Overseas

But what is your point? Do you have one? You are arguing against democracy!

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That's got to be one of the weakest attempts at putting up a straw man that I've seen on here.

NB: I'm not laughing with you.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:24 am
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

If you honestly think that you have come up with a system that is better than freedom and democratic human rights then please enlighten us!

That's got to be one of the weakest attempts at putting up a straw man that I've seen on here.

NB: I'm not laughing with you.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:21 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by megalaser
But what is your point? Do you have one? You are arguing against democracy!
Originally Posted by Swisstony
Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
This is a very good example of the importance of meta context. The two posters above would appear to derive theirs from the output of the vested interests who stand to benefit from the charade that we call an election.

In this meta context, any criticism of the charade or the actors is an attack on democracy itself, because both are its embodiment. It's an old trick, but a clever one. Control the argument by controlling the meanings of the words.

Of course it fails if one's critical thinking skills are even somewhat developed, which is probably why the schools have been run into the ground...
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:54 am
James Chesterton

You so clever.

This is a very good example of the importance of meta context. The two posters above would appear to derive theirs from the output of the vested interests who stand to benefit from the charade that we call an election.

In this meta context, any criticism of the charade or the actors is an attack on democracy itself, because both are its embodiment. It's an old trick, but a clever one. Control the argument by controlling the meanings of the words.

Of course it fails if one's critical thinking skills are even somewhat developed, which is probably why the schools have been run into the ground...
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:02 pm

You so clever.
It's kind of you to say so but, given recent research on metacognitive awareness, I think I'd better get a second opinion before patting myself on the back.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:25 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

You are arguing against democracy!
This is a very black and white issue for you: Anyone who chooses not to vote is a "retard", stupid, backwards and an idiot. Democracy is choosing between two evils to govern over your daily life and an election every 4/5 years is the scope for participation. Criticism (or even critique) of the current system is arguing against democracy and human rights, advocating a dictatorship, and should move to Iran or Venezuela.

It's just such a shame you're 60 years too late to be a McCarthyite.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:37 pm
James Chesterton

Thanks for your opinion, it's interesting that you are using rhetoric to avoid the issue, you think analyzing me is more important than the issue, thank you for the compliment but your alternative to the democratic process is to not vote and thus have no say in who runs your government. You are arguing against free choice and for less rights.

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
This is a very black and white issue for you: Anyone who chooses not to vote is a "retard", stupid, backwards and an idiot. Democracy is choosing between two evils to govern over your daily life and an election every 4/5 years is the scope for participation. Criticism (or even critique) of the current system is arguing against democracy and human rights, advocating a dictatorship, and should move to Iran or Venezuela.

It's just such a shame you're 60 years too late to be a McCarthyite.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:23 pm

Thanks for your opinion, it's interesting that you are using rhetoric to avoid the issue, you think analyzing me is more important than the issue, thank you for the compliment but your alternative to the democratic process is to not vote and thus have no say in who runs your government. You are arguing against free choice and for less rights.
And you're off your Lithium again, it would appear.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:33 pm
James Chesterton

Actually maybe my blunt comments earlier were a little insensitive to some, I understand there is a known medical condition that makes it difficult for the brain to make choices, I apologize for speaking so frankly to anyone who is suffering from this condition and becomes easily confused and thus finds it difficult to choose between various parties and candidates when it comes to voting. If anyone on this forum faces this challenge then of course it would explain the obvious irrationality of arguing against the right to vote.

And you're off your Lithium again, it would appear.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:56 pm

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

the obvious irrationality of arguing against the right to vote.
You've obviously wound yourself up about this. Who are these people who are arguing against the right to vote, and where do they do that?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

....actually, my post derives from Winston Churchill.....who, I suppose was an 'output of the vested interests in...' er whatever you said

I think he was right though.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:13 pm

I think he's probably not far off the mark either, much as it makes my skin crawl to agree with him (Churchill, not you, Swisstony).
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:32 pm

Yeah, I'm familiar with the line and it was certainly true, at the time he said it. Whether he'd recognise the farce that we have today as democracy is another matter, of course.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Don't vote - it only encourages them.

Seriously - does anyone still trust any politician?

They are all a bunch of lying bastards who don't give a toss about anyone apart from themselves. Tow the Houses Of Parliament along The Thames and out to sea - then sink it.
I have to say, for the first time since I was legally able to vote, that I actually haven't got a clue who to vote for.................I like the sinking the Houses of Parliament idea better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.