Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voting in two countries

Wikiposts

Voting in two countries

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:42 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting in two countries

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I always understood that if you are a citizen of the US you cannot vote in any other country, it doesn't matter that you are still a citizen of that country. For one thing you renounce allegiance to that country when you become a US citizen. If you are a natural born citizen I believe the same applies. I can remember being told that when I got my GC and was given info about becoming a citizen. Maybe things have changed?
The US may or may not like it. But do you think they can really enforce it, even if it a law (which I can't be bothered to check)?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The US may or may not like it. But do you think they can really enforce it, even if it a law (which I can't be bothered to check)?
Who knows what they can check up on nowadays! They did say to me that I could be stripped of citizenship if caught voting elsewhere. Scare tactics maybe.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows what they can check up on nowadays! They did say to me that I could be stripped of citizenship if caught voting elsewhere. Scare tactics maybe.
Probably time for you to read www.richw.org/dualcit.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Probably time for you to read www.richw.org/dualcit.
Just read it and it used to be you couldn't vote elsewhere and as I have been here since 1969 that probably explains why I was told what I was. As I said in my previous post, maybe things have changed and they obviously have (repealed in 1978).
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just read it and it used to be you couldn't vote elsewhere and as I have been here since 1969 that probably explains why I was told what I was. As I said in my previous post, maybe things have changed and they obviously have (repealed in 1978).
Yep -- I thought it might help you!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:59 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MHolkham
I have dual citizenship. Am I allowed to vote in both the USA elections & the UK elections? I have looked for this answer but can't find it online
In many jurisdictions, it is customary for the "registered voter" to vote several times; even if deceased.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:02 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

See post #11 above. The Supreme Court ruled in 1967 that voting in a foreign election was not an expatriating act. As you note, the statutory provision was repealed -- this was as part of a "housecleaning" amendment.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:07 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
In many jurisdictions, it is customary for the "registered voter" to vote several times; even if deceased.
The headline and the article do not really match. As a general rule, dead people do not vote -- even if they remain on the voter registration polls. That said, I can see a potential for abuse of the absentee system -- but that would require a forged signature.

I would be concerned more about university students having two active registrations -- at home and at school.

Also, remember the old adage -- vote early and often.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Worth reminding people that voting in US elections when you are just a PR can get you into serious trouble.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Worth reminding people that voting in US elections when you are just a PR can get you into serious trouble.
though some states do allow PR's to vote in certain elections, won't be anything major though, town mayor, school board, that kind of stuff.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:24 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I only just came over so it's going to be a while before I can vote in anything significant over here, but I intend to keep voting in UK elections as long as I can (15 years I believe, assuming I don't move back).

I do think it is a complex ethical issue, and if I had to ties to the UK I certainly wouldn't vote. However, my number one reservation about emigrating was that my parents are now 64 and 63, and my Dad in particular isn't the healthiest person in the world. It is very important to me that things like the winter fuel allowance and free bus pass etc. are protected (possibly unlikely in the current climate) because they significantly impact my parents' life.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:32 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
I only just came over so it's going to be a while before I can vote in anything significant over here, but I intend to keep voting in UK elections as long as I can (15 years I believe, assuming I don't move back).

I do think it is a complex ethical issue, and if I had to ties to the UK I certainly wouldn't vote. However, my number one reservation about emigrating was that my parents are now 64 and 63, and my Dad in particular isn't the healthiest person in the world. It is very important to me that things like the winter fuel allowance and free bus pass etc. are protected (possibly unlikely in the current climate) because they significantly impact my parents' life.
So you'll give Labour a complete pass on their bankrupting the country?
Okay.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:44 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Too many points to make

1. I don't believe for a minute that the UK's finances are as bad as the current government are making out, and even if they are there are plenty of ways to save money that address the real issues rather than screwing the poor.

2. Big assumption that I'm giving Labour a pass. I voted Labour for the first time in the last general election. I turned 18 after Blair's landslide and have never been able to stand the guy or what he stands for. I did think Gordon Brown was a step in the right direction (but still not good), certainly a lot better than what is going on right now. From what I've seen so far Ed Miliband looks promising, the fact the media are already throwing ludicrous allegations around is a good sign in my book.

3. A number of my friends are really involved in the Labour party and even they are not giving the parliamentary party a free pass on the last 10 years.

4. Regardless of what happened under Labour, the current government are showing just as little, and probably less, economic sense. They're driving up unemployment and removing services that people rely on whilst giving the people at the heart of the issues a total free pass in your words. Cameron's economic policy seems to be a particularly infantile pursuit of a Reagonite "trickle down" approach, which we've seen time and time again really doesn't work for anyone outside the top few percent of the wealth bracket.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- I thought it might help you!