Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voting Today

Voting Today

Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting Today

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
I can't vote, but would be voting Democrat if I could. I am hoping the Dems take over both Both Houses. Our Governor here in Florida is due to retire this time, he can't run again, but I expect the Republicans will hold onto the Governorship, unless a miracle happens.

I woudn't know Jim Davis if you showed me a picture of him...
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why say you are voting Republican or Democrat? You should be saying instead that you are voting for the person who you feel better suits your objections.

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
I can't vote, but would be voting Democrat if I could. I am hoping the Dems take over both Both Houses. Our Governor here in Florida is due to retire this time, he can't run again, but I expect the Republicans will hold onto the Governorship, unless a miracle happens.

Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
IThe purpose of joining a party is only so that you can vote in the primary. You do not have to join a partyline in order to be eligible to vote.

I think this is something that new voters should be made aware of when they register to vote.

In AZ, you may vote the primary ballot of your choice if you declared your preference as independent (or even if you left the party preference field blank).

Just back from voting. We have the "optical scanner" machines. Just as stoopid as the touchscreens. IMO, there's only one way to vote properly -- on a piece of paper using an X, then having them hand counted.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Well, I voted...no receipt from our voting machines (which are optical scans, so at least there is a paper trail). And I didn't get a sticker - guess I'm judged not to be Blue Peter badge material
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:51 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Please god let me never see another Mike McGavick campaigning ad! Loathsome twat!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:16 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Well, I voted...no receipt from our voting machines (which are optical scans, so at least there is a paper trail). And I didn't get a sticker - guess I'm judged not to be Blue Peter badge material
i got a sticker!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Why say you are voting Republican or Democrat? You should be saying instead that you are voting for the person who you feel better suits your objections.
That is your opinion and your philosophy.

I believe in voting the straight party line because unless your party holds some power in the House and Senate - it doesn't matter if one or two of your "favorites" get voted in.

If you really despise both parties then sure just vote willy-nilly - you won't have a voice but you then again by the nature of the thing - you never did.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Also seems to be the Repug talking point of the day!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Also seems to be the Repug talking point of the day!
S'ok I learned several things in Poli-Sci 101 ....

1 - You help the opposing party when you do not vote a straight party line.

2 - Don't take voting tips off an internet forum.

Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Even though I can't vote in the US, I've been campaigning for Ben Cardin in Maryland for the past few weeks. It's going to be a very, very tight race, and we might not find out the results very soon, as there were over 100,000 absentee ballots cast.

I have to say that people have been somewhat puzzled to see someone with a British accent at their door asking them to vote Democratic. There was one elderly gentlemen who bellowed "You have a British accent! You back Blair and Brown!" to me, but aside from that everyone's been surprisingly receptive
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:39 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by GaryK
Even though I can't vote in the US, I've been campaigning for Ben Cardin in Maryland for the past few weeks. It's going to be a very, very tight race, and we might not find out the results very soon, as there were over 100,000 absentee ballots cast.

I have to say that people have been somewhat puzzled to see someone with a British accent at their door asking them to vote Democratic. There was one elderly gentlemen who bellowed "You have a British accent! You back Blair and Brown!" to me, but aside from that everyone's been surprisingly receptive
Nice job - campaigning that is. I can't wait until 2008.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

When we get a decent Comunist party here, then I shall vote.

I'm serious.

No, really.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 5:48 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I woudn't know Jim Davis if you showed me a picture of him...
And how could you? He's just a misguided liberal wrong do-er, who never shows up for work...apparently.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66

I believe in voting the straight party line because unless your party holds some power in the House and Senate - it doesn't matter if one or two of your "favorites" get voted in.

If you really despise both parties then sure just vote willy-nilly - you won't have a voice but you then again by the nature of the thing - you never did.

Once upon a time that might have been true and in some very rare cases it might still hold true today. However, there is no such thing as party loyalty in government today and hasn't been since the days of Johnson. There are no strange bedfellows in politics any longer. They are all street corner prostitutes who will sell themselves to whomever has the bigger coin.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:23 pm
Septicity

Once upon a time that might have been true and in some very rare cases it might still hold true today. However, there is no such thing as party loyalty in government today and hasn't been since the days of Johnson. There are no strange bedfellows in politics any longer. They are all street corner prostitutes who will sell themselves to whomever has the bigger coin.

Also straight from today's Repug talking point. As this is the most corrupt Repug government ever, try to tar them all and hope it'll lessen the impact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.