Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voting back in blighty

Voting back in blighty

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:51 pm
Franklin

Question Dual US/UK nationality and voting rights

Anyone registered to vote back in blighty? How is this done? Can a dual USA/UK citizen vote “safely� in national British elections? Anyone done this? Are there pitfalls for dual citizens?

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Aug 23rd 2004 at 7:45 pm.

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting back in blighty

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Anyone registered to vote back in blighty? How is this done? Can a dual USA/UK citizen vote “safely� in national British elections? Anyone done this? Are there pitfalls for dual citizens?
yes you're fine.

The hardest thing to do is to find another British National to witness your vote by post/proxy form.

Seen as you work in the same town as the embassy then this shouldn't be too much bother for you.

You'll need a form from the council in which you last resided in Britain.

also if you've lived abroad for 15 and not voted then you are now illeligible to vote until you reside back in the UK.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:14 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Manc
yes you're fine.

The hardest thing to do is to find another British National to witness your vote by post/proxy form.

Seen as you work in the same town as the embassy then this shouldn't be too much bother for you.

also if you've lived abroad for 15 and not voted then you are now illeligible to vote until you reside back in the UK.
*nods* What about rejoining the Labor Party? I let my membership lapse by not paying dues out of fear of doing something incompatible with my new US citizenship. I kept meaning to contact the US State Department to check up on this issue, I would like to attend Labor party meetings in the DC metro area, I did this when I lived in Chicago but stopped once I had US citizenship, again out of fear of doing something that might be incompatible with my new citizenship even though I remain and want to remain a UK/EU citizen.

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
*nods* What about rejoining the Labor Party? I let my membership lapse by not paying dues out of fear of doing something incompatible with my new US citizenship. I kept meaning to contact the US State Department to check up on this issue, I would like to attend Labor party meetings in the DC metro area, I did this when I lived in Chicago but stopped once I had US citizenship, again out of fear of doing something that might be incompatible with my new citizenship even though I remain and want to remain a UK/EU citizen.
Can't see why it would affect anything.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:19 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
yes you're fine.

He's right, I worked for the electoral service department before I came here, you can only vote in Parliamenary and European elections, you can't vote after living outside for fourteen years and whatever you do, vote by proxy not by post, otherwise your vote will be turning up several weeks after the result and will be filed in the bin. If you don't know the number for your council, email [email protected]
tell them where you used to live and they'll tell you who to contact, unless of course you already know who to contact.