Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voter Registration day

Voter Registration day

Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:50 pm
  #1  
Bob
BE Site Lead
Thread Starter
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,723
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Voter Registration day

http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/vote

Last day for voter registration in a lot of States in the US today!

Got till the 17th for MA though
Bob is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:09 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Nottingham UK
Posts: 148
holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice
Default Re: Voter Registration day

Thanks for this Just reminded my husband to register.
holly2234 is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:10 pm
  #3  
Under blue skies
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,620
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

According to this website on voter registration info by state:
http://votesmart.org/elections/voter...n#.UHVkQq6B1uk

CT's deadline is pretty late. You can register 2 weeks before a federal election by mail, or only 1 week beforehand if you go in person to the Registrar of Voters at your local town hall. Who knew?

We've already registered, though.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2012, 8:40 pm
  #4  
Bob
BE Site Lead
Thread Starter
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,723
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

Originally Posted by WEBlue View Post
We've already registered, though.
The missus had to re-register because when we moved last year, we didn't register and missed the letter saying that everyone needed to re-register if they hadn't voted in x years in the area as the registration was getting binned as a state paper saving thing. We found that out when the missus went to vote last year and wasn't allowed to
Bob is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:37 am
  #5  
Under blue skies
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,620
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The missus had to re-register because when we moved last year, we didn't register and missed the letter saying that everyone needed to re-register if they hadn't voted in x years in the area as the registration was getting binned as a state paper saving thing. We found that out when the missus went to vote last year and wasn't allowed to
Yes, I've heard from neighbours that it's good to double-check. We moved to this town & registered not too long ago, but I rang up the Voter Registrar at the town hall last week just to make sure the husband & I were on the voter roll. Plus I wanted to know where we're supposed to vote. They were happy to answer my questions, which was nice.

Yesterday the husband applied for his absentee ballot because he'll be out of town on voting day.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:16 pm
  #6  
Bob
BE Site Lead
Thread Starter
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,723
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

So the missus registered to vote....she wasn't asked for ID or proof of residence in the town.

She just had to give her name, date of birth and last four numbers of her SSN and address, as this was also a change of address, she had to give the last address too.

Don't know if that's worrying or a good thing, being so easy to register
Bob is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:18 pm
  #7  
Under blue skies
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,620
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
So the missus registered to vote....she wasn't asked for ID or proof of residence in the town.

She just had to give her name, date of birth and last four numbers of her SSN and address, as this was also a change of address, she had to give the last address too.

Don't know if that's worrying or a good thing, being so easy to register
Yes, it's curious she wasn't asked to prove either the old or the new address, such as with a drivers licence (which would have one or the other on it).

When I plugged your state into the votesmart.org link I posted previously, it seems to indicate that you must "verify" your address to prove residency in the state.

I wonder if she might be asked to show her DL when she goes to the polling place? I worked at the polls last year & there were some people who had to do that. Some didn't have their DLs & had to go home for them. The explanation was that proper ID must be shown at some point, either at registration or at the polls on voting day.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:40 pm
  #8  
Bob
BE Site Lead
Thread Starter
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,723
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

Originally Posted by WEBlue View Post
Yes, it's curious she wasn't asked to prove either the old or the new address, such as with a drivers licence (which would have one or the other on it).

When I plugged your state into the votesmart.org link I posted previously, it seems to indicate that you must "verify" your address to prove residency in the state.

I wonder if she might be asked to show her DL when she goes to the polling place? I worked at the polls last year & there were some people who had to do that. Some didn't have their DLs & had to go home for them. The explanation was that proper ID must be shown at some point, either at registration or at the polls on voting day.
Aye, we're supposed to verify we're residents of the state, so a library card would do and of the district, so a utility bill, for instance.

Passport or drivers license would be easiest.

When at the polls, they don't ask to see any ID or to verify anything. You go to the table on the way in and give your name and street name and that's that, you then go vote.
Bob is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:58 am
  #9  
Under blue skies
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,620
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Aye, we're supposed to verify we're residents of the state, so a library card would do and of the district, so a utility bill, for instance.

Passport or drivers license would be easiest.

When at the polls, they don't ask to see any ID or to verify anything. You go to the table on the way in and give your name and street name and that's that, you then go vote.
Ah, so she's voted already. I'm surprised. With all the hoopla about voter "fraud" that's part of this election cycle, I'd think MA would do slightly more of a check on someone who's moved.

At the election I worked the polls for, there was a little mark against some names on the list, and those people had to show proof before they could collect their ballot & go into the booth.

One very posh gent made a noisy fuss. He'd never had a DL & didn't know where to find his other ID at home. He said the poll workers who insisted on ID were depriving him of his "lawful" vote & he was going to contact his congressman.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:27 pm
  #10  
Bob
BE Site Lead
Thread Starter
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,723
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Registration day

Originally Posted by WEBlue View Post
Ah, so she's voted already. I'm surprised. With all the hoopla about voter "fraud" that's part of this election cycle, I'd think MA would do slightly more of a check on someone who's moved.
Aye, but not last year because she never got the letter about having to register again after they scrubbed registration info in the area.
Bob is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.