Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voter Faud Where I live

Voter Faud Where I live

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Voter Faud Where I live

Someone has been caught at the elections office tampering with the ballots.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-2...ed_ballot.html
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voter Faud Where I live

cracking county name that
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That's actually rather surprising that a person would have the audacity to do that. But I guess that shows how naive I am about how low some people will stoop.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My father-in-law received two ballots. The mother-in-law implied it was Obama's fault.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

My colleague says when he first went to vote in this area, it turns out the dead old lady who lived in the house before him had already voted. Unsurprisingly, he is now all for photo ID....

I don't understand why a system such as in the UK couldn't work - ie a voting register based on your residence, and a polling card arriving about 3 weeks before the election that you take with you.

Also, a question out of ignorance - can you trace votes over here? by that I mean, when you get issued your voting slip in the UK, they make a note of it's ID number against your name. In that case it is technically possible, if a pain in the arse, to find that slip afterwards and discount it in the event that fraud is proved. Note, I have no idea whether this is allowable or what, I'm just speculating.

Of course, I also forget that voting over here is not necessarily a matter of a simple piece of paper and a pen....
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
My colleague says when he first went to vote in this area, it turns out the dead old lady who lived in the house before him had already voted. Unsurprisingly, he is now all for photo ID....

I don't understand why a system such as in the UK couldn't work - ie a voting register based on your residence, and a polling card arriving about 3 weeks before the election that you take with you.

Also, a question out of ignorance - can you trace votes over here? by that I mean, when you get issued your voting slip in the UK, they make a note of it's ID number against your name. In that case it is technically possible, if a pain in the arse, to find that slip afterwards and discount it in the event that fraud is proved. Note, I have no idea whether this is allowable or what, I'm just speculating.

Of course, I also forget that voting over here is not necessarily a matter of a simple piece of paper and a pen....

AZ sends you a voter registration card with your name address where you vote etc on it. The poll workers love it when you actually bring it with to vote but it isn't necessary. They have a big book where they'll find your name check your card matches get you to sign and I want to say they wrote the ballot number in but I can't remember, I've only voted once before.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
cracking county name that
Clackamas aka Clackistan
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

To the best of my memory, you did not need the polling card in the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
To the best of my memory, you did not need the polling card in the UK.
That's my recollection too - although I'm not entirely sure what happens if you don't take it. I've never had to show any other ID, but I don't know if there is discretion for the people in the polling stations to ask for it if they aren't happy.

Still, it would be relatively easy to tweak the regulations to satisfy those worried about voter fraud, to say either bring the card or other id (driving license, passport, utility bill in your name and at that address dated in the last 3 months?).

Considerably easier to meet those kind of ID requirements than in some of the states here - I'm thinking of the stories about elderly poor people who don't drive, don't have a birth certificate, and where there is no official record of their birth.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

That's my recollection too - although I'm not entirely sure what happens if you don't take it. I've never had to show any other ID, but I don't know if there is discretion for the people in the polling stations to ask for it if they aren't happy.
I think in the UK, you just needed to give a name and an address.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I think in the UK, you just needed to give a name and an address.
Do you know what would happen if someone else had turned up earlier and already used your name and address?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Someone has been caught at the elections office tampering with the ballots.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-2...ed_ballot.html
Actually that sounds more like "election fraud" than "voter fraud" which (in the US at least) seems to mean someone who is not entitled to vote showing up at the polling place and voting ...

... and, of course, all of the voter registration and voter id laws don't help in the least when it is an "inside job" like this ...
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:41 pm

Do you know what would happen if someone else had turned up earlier and already used your name and address?
If there is any doubt about the authenticity of the voter, they are given a different ballot form. When the boxes are opened those forms are put to one side, and are only counted in the case of a very close count if the candidates agree to include them.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
If there is any doubt about the authenticity of the voter, they are given a different ballot form. When the boxes are opened those forms are put to one side, and are only counted in the case of a very close count if the candidates agree to include them.
Interesting! Thanks, didn't know that.