British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Vonage for $9.99 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/vonage-%249-99-a-633552/)

franc111s Oct 1st 2009 5:39 pm

Vonage for $9.99

OK, I am not a lover of Vonage and didn't really need a home phone any more (use AT&T and Verizon cell phones which are 7c to UK) so decided to cancel. 3 months ago, they said, look have 3 months free and please stay, so we did. We have a calling card that's 2c a minute if we really want a VOIP connection.

Then, time was up yesterday so my wife called again to cancel. First they said we could have it for $17.99, then finally when my wife insisted we cancel they come up with a $9.99 plan for 1000 minutes (we don't use hardly any as we use cell phones 99% of the time now).

For $9.99 we get to keep an incoming line (mostly now faxes). I was even debating keeping it but 1000 minutes a month, month by month contract (i.e. no contract). Job done.

fatbrit Oct 1st 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Vonage for $9.99

Nice one!

Juswus Oct 1st 2009 5:56 pm

:thumbup:

Bluegrass Lass Oct 1st 2009 7:30 pm

We were thinking about signing up. They've been advertising free calls 'worldwide' for $29.99/mo. From reading the fine print, it appears there are restrictions on types of calls made (i.e. not to cell phones), which is fine for us. It costs us about 2c to call UK and about 30c to call South Africa on our current calling card, so we are really interested for the SA call savings alone. Does this sound like a good deal to y'all? I have no experience with VOIP, so I don't know how good the calls are. How good is the service? How clear are the phone calls?

neil Oct 1st 2009 7:31 pm

My wife's been trying to cancel Directv but they won't do it, they've now given us $350 credit to try and keep us. I just want the damn thing canceled. Bastards. My wife's given up trying to cancel and at some point I'm going to have to call myself.

Englishtart Oct 1st 2009 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7981621)
We were thinking about signing up. They've been advertising free calls 'worldwide' for $29.99/mo. From reading the fine print, it appears there are restrictions on types of calls made (i.e. not to cell phones), which is fine for us. It costs us about 2c to call UK and about 30c to call South Africa on our current calling card, so we are really interested for the SA call savings alone. Does this sound like a good deal to y'all? I have no experience with VOIP, so I don't know how good the calls are. How good is the service? How clear are the phone calls?

I have had vonage for over 5 years, I love it, we pay $19.99 a month for unlimited 24/7 calls anywhere in the US, UK and some other international countries, only problem I ever have is losing the line when the storms cut off the internet, but I always have my cell phone :thumbup:

Phone line is just like any other, clear and no interferance, customer service has always been helpful and polite, I got my bill reduced by 10 a month, because I called and asked them too ;)

neil Oct 1st 2009 7:41 pm

We cancelled Lingo recently too, they also did not want to cancel so we now pay nothing and if we make any outgoing calls it is something like 3.5 cents a minute. Apparently they told us that's what they do with long time customers (we've been customers for about 5 years). We never use it for outgoing, most communication with the UK is through Skype computer to computer and for other things I use Google Voice.

Sharron_ Oct 1st 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 7981626)
My wife's been trying to cancel Directv but they won't do it, they've now given us $350 credit to try and keep us. I just want the damn thing canceled. Bastards. My wife's given up trying to cancel and at some point I'm going to have to call myself.

My husband always uses this line when he really wants to cancel something.

"I've just lost my job, so I need to cancel as I have no money coming in"

They usually cancel it without any problems.

franc111s Oct 1st 2009 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 7981961)

thats exactly what my wife told Vonage and why she got $9.99 a month :eek: They are desperate to not lose an account... to the point of scary!

neil Oct 1st 2009 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 7981961)

Tried that one, but it didn't work.

Sharron_ Oct 1st 2009 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 7981975)
Tried that one, but it didn't work.

You can't be very convincing then!!.

Tell them you have a wife and six kids too!!.

franc111s Oct 1st 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 7982006)

We told them I was out of work, being repossessed, getting divorced and going into bankruptcy. Since the call center operator was probably in a worse position then we pretended to be, she offered us $9.99 a month - LOL

Sharron_ Oct 1st 2009 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by franc111s (Post 7982012)
We told them I was out of work, being repossessed, getting divorced and going into bankruptcy. Since the call center operator was probably in a worse position then we pretended to be, she offered us $9.99 a month - LOL

That's so funny!!.

Is that a world wide plan....could I call and get free calls to the UK for that amount.

We have vonage, but I think we pay $19.99.

Bob Oct 2nd 2009 12:36 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7981621)
How good is the service? How clear are the phone calls?

Depends on how good your internet is, if you do a lot of d/loading it can choke the internet a little and make the calls a bit flaky, but decent router should sort out load balancing on its own these days.

neil Oct 2nd 2009 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 7982006)

It seems they want to keep us as customers until our situation improves and we can pay again. They've basically given us 6 months for free and I'm guessing they're hoping we'll have money again and start paying for service.