Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voluntary work

Voluntary work

Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Voluntary work

My mum has volunteered in a couple of different charity shops. All the sales assistants are volunteers (or doing community service) except the manager. The manager is the only one who is paid.

Of course I don't think they have charity shops in the US in the way we do.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
My mum has volunteered in a couple of different charity shops. All the sales assistants are volunteers (or doing community service) except the manager. The manager is the only one who is paid.

Of course I don't think they have charity shops in the US in the way we do.
And?

That doesn't mean that all those folks in all the charity shops in the UK are voluntary and it isn't in the US either.

It'll be one of those grey areas, where if one had plans of staying in the US, might like to avoid the ambiguity. Especially when there are plenty of other opportunities that are real voluntary work that wouldn't be considered "work".
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Well I'd be very surprised if anyone can find a paid job as a sales assistant in a charity shop, because they don't have any shortage of volunteers and they simply do not have paid work, my mum would have liked to get a paid job if she could, even for a few hours, but there was none going because those positions aren't paid.

Obviously though you know better.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'd be very surprised if anyone can find a paid job as a sales assistant in a charity shop, because they don't have any shortage of volunteers and they simply do not have paid work, my mum would have liked to get a paid job if she could, even for a few hours, but there was none going because those positions aren't paid.

Obviously though you know better.
A lot have a massive shortage of volunteers, or don't want to rely on volunteers that may not be reliable - my mother-in-law works in a charity shop in Berkshire, and is paid. She has worked in 3 charity shops over the past 12 years, and all have been paid positions.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A lot have a massive shortage of volunteers, or don't want to rely on volunteers that may not be reliable - my mother-in-law works in a charity shop in Berkshire, and is paid. She has worked in 3 charity shops over the past 12 years, and all have been paid positions.
This.

A lot of the larger charities, that are open regular business hours and especially weekends, do have paid positions, especially for money and credit card handling.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:34 am
Tattooed housewife

MummyKitty is an unknown quantity at this point

I really like the idea of the child advocacy role, and also th animal shelter idea. Assuming I can do these fairly local to home, do you forsee any issues with these roles, or are they both ambiguous, as above?!

I really enjoy counselling work, I'd love to be able to find a voluntary role where I get to talk with people who are having a tough time, particularly as it may help me with a job when I'm in a position to be able to apply for paid work.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by MummyKitty
I really like the idea of the child advocacy role, and also th animal shelter idea. Assuming I can do these fairly local to home, do you forsee any issues with these roles, or are they both ambiguous, as above?!
Those would be more safer as voluntary work, as to how local to home, would depend on the city.

Other things that are good would be meals on wheels type of deal, especially for the elderly, soup kitchens and that kind of stuff
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

My mum will be very annoyed to know that these big charities do pay people in some towns but not hers. She volunteers for Cancer Research UK and in the past has done so for The British Heart Foundation, pretty big charities. Both jobs involved her taking card payments and cashing up.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

My mum will be very annoyed to know that these big charities do pay people in some towns but not hers. She volunteers for Cancer Research UK and in the past has done so for The British Heart Foundation, pretty big charities. Both jobs involved her taking card payments and cashing up.
My local Cancer Research and British Heart shops are also staffed entirely by volunteers, I believe. But Oxfam staff are definitely on the payroll. Some others seem to have a mix of paid and unpaid staff.

Can you tell I know my way around the charity shops...
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not about if some folks volunteer for free or not. If the charity do have paid staff doing that work alongside volunteers, you can't do it as you aren't work authorised.
Originally Posted by Bob
And?

That doesn't mean that all those folks in all the charity shops in the UK are voluntary and it isn't in the US either.

It'll be one of those grey areas, where if one had plans of staying in the US, might like to avoid the ambiguity.
Originally Posted by MummyKitty
I really enjoy counselling work, I'd love to be able to find a voluntary role where I get to talk with people who are having a tough time, particularly as it may help me with a job when I'm in a position to be able to apply for paid work.
The first quotation above from Bob suggests that the important thing is whether the organisation you volunteer for also employs people doing the same job. The second quotation was written in response to Squirrel saying that her mum has worked in charity shops where all the assistants were volunteers and implies that what actually matters is whether anyone, anywhere is paid to do the kind of work you volunteer for.

If the latter is true, I am curious as to why it would be any different with counselling, given that lots of people get paid to be counsellors.