Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Redundancy - should I take it ???

View Poll Results: Voluntary Redundancy - should I take it ??
Yes
68.42%
No
31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Voluntary Redundancy - should I take it ???

Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:00 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary Redundancy - should I take it ???

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
No, it sucks ass - why do you think i'm on here so much.
Well, actually it could be worse but it is extremely boring. Some of my colleagues are a good laugh though.
That would be my main thought when trying to decide whether to stay or not. When it comes to work, my happiness is what's most important above salary/benefits etc etc. I will not work somewhere if I'm not happy, life's too short!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
That would be my main thought when trying to decide whether to stay or not. When it comes to work, my happiness is what's most important above salary/benefits etc etc. I will not work somewhere if I'm not happy, life's too short!
Do you work now?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:16 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Do you work now?
Yes, I have 2 jobs.

Full time wife & the mother of a 19 month old boy.
Part time dental office administrator working from home.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:16 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to say take the money and run, but I know good paying IT jobs over here seem hard to come by at the moment. I'd find another job first, one of the guys that use to work here went to work for one of the big IT companies though a contracting firm and they basically started reducing the rates and a number of people were also laid off. Remember its also any benefits not just the money you need to consider ie medical insurance if you get it, I assume you wouldn't be covered for the four months?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
I assume you wouldn't be covered for the four months?

Good point.... check on your availability to COBRA your policy and how much it will cost, if the company isn't paying for this. If they ARE paying for the four months, check to see anyway because you may need to COBRA past the four months.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Dusted off the cv and updated it there - now to get it out there, though i notice that lots of companies make you fill out an online application form which is a bit of a pain in the ass.
Now, get yourself a domain name and webspace at http://www.onthespothosting.net/ ($4.95 per month for 1Gig and a free domain name) and build an online CV. Then, when the online form asks for "more information" you can put your URL in there. Actually, if you're interested, let me "refer" you 'cos I think I might get a bung from them

PM me and I'll send you my URL for an example.

I have had nothing but great feedback from employers about having my CV online like this.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

No offence meant, but why is it every Irish person I've met over here has got a green card through the lottery? I thought it was supposed to be a lottery, not a guarantee?

And good luck with the job hunt. I wouldn't bail before I had another position lined up. But with a company thats asking for voluntary redundancies, it doesn't bode well for the future in my opinion.

Yep - i got a green card through the lottery
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:21 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
No offence meant, but why is it every Irish person I've met over here has got a green card through the lottery? I thought it was supposed to be a lottery, not a guarantee?

And good luck with the job hunt. I wouldn't bail before I had another position lined up. But with a company thats asking for voluntary redundancies, it doesn't bode well for the future in my opinion.
Haven't you ever heard of the luck of the irish ??
Check out the stats for the 2006 programme - more fijians got GC through the lottery than irish - north and south.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1317.html
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't you ever heard of the luck of the irish ??
Check out the stats for the 2006 programme - more fijians got GC through the lottery than irish - north and south.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1317.html
But my people of Togo beat them with a great 2138....
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:21 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But my people of Togo beat them with a great 2138....
Did you actually check out the link for that.
I have a sneaking feeling that you prob knew those numbers off the top of your head.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I had to sign one of those affadavit of support thingies before I came here, so no - i am not eligible for unemployment, plus if i take voluntary i shouldn't think that i'd be eligible for food stamps anyway.
Dusted off the cv and updated it there - now to get it out there, though i notice that lots of companies make you fill out an online application form which is a bit of a pain in the ass.
Unemployment is different, it comes from what you've paid in while being employed, though usually have to have contributed at a place for six months before you can claim it back....things like food stamps, you wouldn't be able to claim, but a USC missus would
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:01 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=BigDavyG]I had to sign one of those affadavit of support thingies before I came here, so no - i am not eligible for unemployment, QUOTE]

You should still be eligable for unemployment I think, I know I am but I came on K1 and am now a 10yr GC holder.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Did you actually check out the link for that.
I have a sneaking feeling that you prob knew those numbers off the top of your head.
You could well be right ...
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

I'm from Northern Ireland and as that's God's own country we are allowed to enter the lottery
In a nutshell they are making redundancies as part of a restructuring to gain favour with institutional investors and financial analysts.
Given that my team is the only one in an IT department of about 3,000 people allowed to hire new staff this year I reckon that my job is safe if I don't take the offer, but 4 months after having only been here since september is pretty tempting.

BDG.........sent you a pm............Garth