British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Voluntary Redundancy - should I take it ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/voluntary-redundancy-should-i-take-350540/)

BigDavyG Jan 24th 2006 8:25 pm

Voluntary Redundancy - should I take it ???

I've only been in my job for 5 months but they are now offering voluntary redundancies which would be worth 4 months salary to me.
I work in IT/insurance, have only been in the US for 6 months and had this job lined up before I came out - my question is if I take the money and run will I struggle to get work elsewhere based on my limited time in the US - I've heard of other posters' job hunting hassles and it puts me off a bit.

Anyway, opinions welcome :)

cutina Jan 24th 2006 8:27 pm

Re: Voluntary Redundancy - should I take it ???

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I've only been in my job for 5 months but they are now offering voluntary redundancies which would be worth 4 months salary to me.
I work in IT/insurance, have only been in the US for 6 months and had this job lined up before I came out - my question is if I take the money and run will I struggle to get work elsewhere based on my limited time in the US - I've heard of other posters' job hunting hassles and it puts me off a bit.

does your visa allow you to change jobs? i think mine is only for the job i came here for but i'm really ignorant about this stuff

:rolleyes: big help i am!

BigDavyG Jan 24th 2006 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
does your visa allow you to change jobs? i think mine is only for the job i came here for but i'm really ignorant about this stuff

:rolleyes: big help i am!

Yep - i got a green card through the lottery :)

cutina Jan 24th 2006 8:31 pm

~

ok... now it makes sense... i didn't realise UK citizens were eligible for that?
4 months pay isn't bad...
why are they making redundancies? would it be dodgy for you to stay around?

User Name Jan 24th 2006 8:33 pm

Absolutely old boy! They might hire you back too! Use some of the money to set up a consultancy service, and hire yourself out to them at five times the rate they were paying you!

Not legal advice, just discussion and joking around.

TruBrit Jan 24th 2006 8:39 pm

hiya how long have you got before you have to make your decision...maybe time to take a look at the job situation???
good luck

BigDavyG Jan 24th 2006 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
~

ok... now it makes sense... i didn't realise UK citizens were eligible for that?
4 months pay isn't bad...
why are they making redundancies? would it be dodgy for you to stay around?

I'm from Northern Ireland and as that's God's own country we are allowed to enter the lottery :)
In a nutshell they are making redundancies as part of a restructuring to gain favour with institutional investors and financial analysts.
Given that my team is the only one in an IT department of about 3,000 people allowed to hire new staff this year I reckon that my job is safe if I don't take the offer, but 4 months after having only been here since september is pretty tempting.

BigDavyG Jan 24th 2006 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya how long have you got before you have to make your decision...maybe time to take a look at the job situation???
good luck

Til the end of feb to make my mind up - obviously if i could have something else lined up by then i would be....dada da da da, lovin' it.

TruBrit Jan 24th 2006 8:42 pm

Til the end of feb to make my mind up - obviously if i could have something else lined up by then i would be....dada da da da, lovin' it.

well get off this website and get lookin' :D

TruBrit Jan 24th 2006 8:44 pm

I'm from Northern Ireland and as that's God's own country we are allowed to enter the lottery :)

lol sorry don't agree...i've been brain washed into thinking i'm in god's own country :D

BigDavyG Jan 24th 2006 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
well get off this website and get lookin' :D

I never look at job websites at work - i might get sacked :rolleyes:
So i'm off home in 10 minutes to have a butchers

TruBrit Jan 24th 2006 8:50 pm

I never look at job websites at work - i might get sacked :rolleyes:
So i'm off home in 10 minutes to have a butchers

smart guy lol thought you were at home now...ok get lookin' and good luck...keep us posted...cheers

Lord Lionheart Jan 24th 2006 8:55 pm

4 months pay seems like a lot but you will soon use that up while you are off, you tend to spend more just sitting around than when you are at work. Are you eligible for unemployment? I thought I would get another job easily given my experience, but it took me 7 months! I don't know what the opportunities are like in your field and your part of the country? Could be a good opportunity to take 4 months pay and see some of the US, all depends how you are fixed, your debt, expenses. So many variables, only you know your own situation best.

User Name Jan 24th 2006 9:01 pm

You lucky so and so ... well, Alaska is "calling you too too too you you you". Apparently, jobs are opening up as the suicide rate climbs ... ;)

Cruise ships seem to be a growing industry - they have computer rooms for passengers to use, and maybe they need new employees to look after them. Oh, live on the rolling waves ... ay aye ... up she rises ... who knows, you could meet a widowed rich American and Bob (not our Bob)'s your uncle.

Think big, think wide, and go for it! You only live once!

Lord Lionheart Jan 24th 2006 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by User Name
You lucky so and so ... well, Alaska is "calling you too too too you you you". Apparently, jobs are opening up as the suicide rate climbs ... ;)

Cruise ships seem to be a growing industry - they have computer rooms for passengers to use, and maybe they need new employees to look after them. Oh, live on the rolling waves ... ay aye ... up she rises ... who knows, you could meet a widowed rich American and Bob (not our Bob)'s your uncle.

Think big, think wide, and go for it! You only live once!

Christmas is over, time to take down the jingle bells :confused:
Brilliant idea of the Alaskan cruise ship, you might meet James Robertson Justice or Dirk Bogarde :rolleyes: :D