Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voltage convertors 240v>110v

Voltage convertors 240v>110v

Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voltage convertors 240v>110v

Originally Posted by Pony
In the UK I had a 'fast boil' model which was 3000 watts. 3kw kettles are common in the UK, I have not seen anything similar here though...
That may well be, but some people are under the impression that a 220v has more heat than a 110v when it's the watts that count not the volts.

US dryers and ovens have 220 volts at least mine do.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:37 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

As previously stated a 1750 watt kettle will boil water equally fast, regardless of the voltage.
I think the whole problem is your not going to get a kettle any more powerful than that.

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts.

So a 3000w kettle on a 110v supply will draw a little over 27 amps! Your breaker would be tripping liking a hippy at Woodstock.
Their is a very valid reason they run 220v to power heavy duty electrical items like dryers, AC units etc.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
As previously stated a 1750 watt kettle will boil water equally fast, regardless of the voltage.
I think the whole problem is your not going to get a kettle any more powerful than that.

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts.

So a 3000w kettle on a 110v supply will draw a little over 27 amps! Your breaker would be tripping liking a hippy at Woodstock.
Their is a very valid reason they run 220v to power heavy duty electrical items like dryers, AC units etc.
Plus I'm sure the water in the UK heats up quicker than here.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:57 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Terminal
For example US friends or ours want an electric kettle from the UK. Is it possible to get it to boil as quickly in the US on a lower voltage?

TIA
Wicked! Someone found the Breville <-- this was the model we were going to buy for them!

I'm saving all those links! Thanks all
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Wicked! Someone found the Breville <-- this was the model we were going to buy for them!

I'm saving all those links! Thanks all
Easy to spend a small fortune in that store. And Linens & Things. And Target. And Dillards

(guess what I was doing yesterday!)
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

11 yrs ago it was very difficult to buy an electric kettle in NJ...now it is much easier. Try the large department stores but they only seem to carry one or two models.

As for convertors...try the search option at the top there's been several threads on this subject. Converters tend to be large, heavy and get very hot. We brought a UK TV and video recorder with us because my MIL sends Corrie tapes. We never leave the convertor plugged in when we are not using the TV.

US kettles do not boil as quickly as UK ones...also they switch off straight away. The kettles in the UK tend to boil for a minute or so.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 25th 2007 at 1:12 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can honestly say our GE kettle from Walmart is not slow in boiling at all. No complaints this end.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

We're not bringing most of our electrical items, but for the few that we are, what kind of converters are available and can they make electricals that require 240v to work properly, work on 110v?

For example US friends or ours want an electric kettle from the UK. Is it possible to get it to boil as quickly in the US on a lower voltage?

TIA
Heavy current things like kettles, irons etc are not worth worrying about. Leave them in the UK and buy them here. Sears started selling electric kettles about 5 years ago. Most PC's can operate on 110 or 240V, there will be a swtich on the back. My advice would be to leave all but the most essential electrical items and buy them here. I did bring a pretty expensive set of stereo equipment with me from the UK, and run that off of a dedicated 220V feed from the distribution board. You might also find a 220V feed in the launcry room and kitchen, but wiring it up so you don't fry yourself is another thing altogether.
Do a search, I recall some very entertaining discussions on this topic a couple of years ago.

- Tim
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Heavy current things like kettles, irons etc are not worth worrying about. Leave them in the UK and buy them here. Sears started selling electric kettles about 5 years ago. Most PC's can operate on 110 or 240V, there will be a swtich on the back. My advice would be to leave all but the most essential electrical items and buy them here. I did bring a pretty expensive set of stereo equipment with me from the UK, and run that off of a dedicated 220V feed from the distribution board. You might also find a 220V feed in the launcry room and kitchen, but wiring it up so you don't fry yourself is another thing altogether.
Do a search, I recall some very entertaining discussions on this topic a couple of years ago.

- Tim
I don't think you can modify electrical wiring unless you are a qualified electrician...you certainly can't in NJ. If you took a chance and had a fire the insurance company will not pay out.

To the OP some people on here have said they've had and electrician to do this very thing so they can use their UK items. Bear in mind if you probably won't be able to get electrical items repaired if they are from the UK.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:14 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Bear in mind if you probably won't be able to get electrical items repaired if they are from the UK.
Do people still have kitchen appliances repaired?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Do people still have kitchen appliances repaired?
I don't think so...I was thinking of more expensive items.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:25 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I see, sorry!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Oh, I see, sorry!
My fault...I didn't make it very clear.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think you can modify electrical wiring unless you are a qualified electrician...you certainly can't in NJ. If you took a chance and had a fire the insurance company will not pay out.

Correct, I never said or implied I did it myself.... Cost was about $150.

- Tim