Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voltage converter

Voltage converter

Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:01 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Voltage converter

Did anyone bring power tools over from the UK? I have a Bosch 550W 220v power drill that I brought with me, and I want to get some use out of it finally. Can anyone recommend a product or a company?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:08 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voltage converter

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Did anyone bring power tools over from the UK? I have a Bosch 550W 220v power drill that I brought with me, and I want to get some use out of it finally. Can anyone recommend a product or a company?
I got one from here but it doesn't quite give out 240V. I just wanted a cheap one for my stereo. I think it cost about $35 or something.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I can recommend a Bosch power drill for about 50 bucks from Lowes instead.

Otherwise you'll need something like this:

http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...-2.html#vt1000

$62.99 plus T+S

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Dec 16th 2005 at 6:13 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I can recommend a Bosch power drill for about 50 bucks from Lowes instead.

Otherwise you'll need something like this:

http://www.110220volts.com/Sub1/Step...ansformer.html

AH f*** , are they that cheap now?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

AH f*** , are they that cheap now?
the big buggers are about 150 but the home ones for putting up shelves are.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:15 pm

the big buggers are about 150 but the home ones are.

I just had a look but the one i've got is more like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0-353-1199VSRK

I thought I might be able to get a converter for about $50...
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

In that case...

1000w step up/down transformer
$62.99 plus T+S
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:31 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus. What are you doing, drilling through three feet of solid steel?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:33 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
LOL - thats what I thought when I saw the photo!

I have an 18v Bosch drill - i thinks its ace. I bought it in a bundle with all other gizmos
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Its a hammer drill - for brick and concrete. On top of that I don't like the cordless stuff. A drill for all seasons.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
LOL - thats what I thought when I saw the photo!

I have an 18v Bosch drill - i thinks its ace. I bought it in a bundle with all other gizmos
reall, how interesting
Old Dec 16th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

In that case...

1000w step up/down transformer
$62.99 plus T+S
That's the kind you need (worth it if you have more than one 240v powertool of course)

You can probably get it a bit cheaper on Ebay - something like this
Old Dec 16th 2005, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Philgr
That's the kind you need (worth it if you have more than one 240v powertool of course)

You can probably get it a bit cheaper on Ebay - something like this

Thanks - looks like thats the one
Old Dec 16th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks - looks like thats the one
Hey Chorlton...you're in Texas so look up to see if you have a Fry's Electronics near you. There's one in Irving and they carry quite a range of converters.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

i used www.voltageconverters.com

step up and down so can be used at home if you go back - quite reasonable and work well!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.