Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VOIP - again, free landline calls

VOIP - again, free landline calls

Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default VOIP - again, free landline calls

OK so been using VOIP and loving it but little find for all you skype users

voipstunt.com - you can make free landline calls, after about 2 hours you have to put a 10euro deposit down but can still make free landline calls in loads of countries - notably US and UK - yes mobiles still charge!!

This is same company as VOIPcheap who did free calls and now charge a couple of euro cents a minute - so this is probably a limited offer but for the last 2 weeks i have been calling the UK freemans!!! Works just like Skype and peer to peer is free!!

Thought this might be of interest

Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: VOIP - again, free landline calls

Originally Posted by Big D

voipstunt.com - you can make free landline calls, after about 2 hours you have to put a 10euro deposit down but can still make free landline calls in loads of countries - notably US and UK - yes mobiles still charge!!

This is same company as VOIPcheap who did free calls and now charge a couple of euro cents a minute - so this is probably a limited offer but for the last 2 weeks i have been calling the UK freemans!!! Works just like Skype and peer to peer is free!!

Hmmm I'll take a ganders.

EDIT: Looks like a direct ripoff of Skype 1...even down to the icons. Well i'll not complain if its free and doesnt screw with my system.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Feb 4th 2006 at 11:57 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Hmmm I'll take a ganders.

EDIT: Looks like a direct ripoff of Skype 1...even down to the icons. Well i'll not complain if its free and doesnt screw with my system.

There are several of these out there - my computer savvy relatives in the UK have been using it for a while and neither them nor i have had any issues! enjoy!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: VOIP - again, free landline calls

Interesting.....but do you get loads of adverts all the time or can you stop them all with pop-up blockers?

Also please clarify: you are currently able to call the UK from the US free of charge?

I've just left my Aussie mate's house and this evening my husband signed her up to Skype. We were all talking online via her laptop to a family gathering in Swansea, New South Wales.....spoke for 33 minutes and the call cost only (US) 70 cents! The sound quality was amazing, even though at the Oz end they were using a speakerphone on their landline - it's a weekend home and they don't have a computer there.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Interesting.....but do you get loads of adverts all the time or can you stop them all with pop-up blockers?

Also please clarify: you are currently able to call the UK from the US free of charge?

I've just left my Aussie mate's house and this evening my husband signed her up to Skype. We were all talking online via her laptop to a family gathering in Swansea, New South Wales.....spoke for 33 minutes and the call cost only (US) 70 cents! The sound quality was amazing, even though at the Oz end they were using a speakerphone on their landline - it's a weekend home and they don't have a computer there.

Nope - not had any adverts - you get a window just like Skype - and yes UK landline calls are free of charge (at the moment) after a few hours of calls it requires a 10 euro deposit but landline calls are still free - and computer to computer are free too. Plus you can use alongside Skype! To be fair its the same quality as Skype but calls are free to attract users - Skype did this too when they first set up!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: VOIP - again, free landline calls

Thanks for the heads-up.

Another question: can you use webcams in exactly the same way as Skype? The sound and picture quality with Skype is incredible and I wonder if this is replicated with this new service you are advocating?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the heads-up.

Another question: can you use webcams in exactly the same way as Skype? The sound and picture quality with Skype is incredible and I wonder if this is replicated with this new service you are advocating?
I didnt see any Video functionality on it.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: VOIP - again, free landline calls

Skype is amazing! I have saved so much money using it. I call home (the UK) at least twice a week.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the heads-up.

dont think so - but keep using skype too and just use this for the free calls
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

I have been useing SkyPe for over 15 months now and love it. Now it has the webcam facility its even better.
I am going to look at voipstunt as well, and maybe get the best of both worlds.I have tried yahoo voice,but that is only computer to computer, and I find the sound is not so good.
If you have MSN or Yahoo messenger then you can call on voipstunt and do the webcam on msn and yahoo.
Redlobster
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Barry Mung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by redlobster
I have been useing SkyPe for over 15 months now and love it. Now it has the webcam facility its even better.
I am going to look at voipstunt as well, and maybe get the best of both worlds.I have tried yahoo voice,but that is only computer to computer, and I find the sound is not so good.
If you have MSN or Yahoo messenger then you can call on voipstunt and do the webcam on msn and yahoo.
Redlobster
Skype seems to be bundles with virtually everything in the uk to do with voip at present.The voipcheap network seems to work to uk,usa landlines,AND usa MOBILES for free.
Problem is,its server has been down for a couple of days.......
Anyone else had this problem? I only subscribed last sat! (3 days ago!)
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:15 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm...just downloading it. Will let you know how it works out. How much is 10 euro in dollars?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:33 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, is it normal that it's still registering 10 minutes later?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Barry Mung
Skype seems to be bundles with virtually everything in the uk to do with voip at present.The voipcheap network seems to work to uk,usa landlines,AND usa MOBILES for free.
Problem is,its server has been down for a couple of days.......
Anyone else had this problem? I only subscribed last sat! (3 days ago!)

Mine has been working fine and not had any downtime.

USA mobiles are the same rate as USA landlines from any source (i.e. free with VOIPSTUNT) as you pay for incoming calls - this is the difference in the way calls are charged in UK - hence why you still pay for calls to UK mobiles

10 Euros is about 12/13 bux - it will ask you for this as a deposit after several hours of calls but the landline calls are still free
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Mine has been working fine and not had any downtime.

USA mobiles are the same rate as USA landlines from any source (i.e. free with VOIPSTUNT) as you pay for incoming calls - this is the difference in the way calls are charged in UK - hence why you still pay for calls to UK mobiles

10 Euros is about 12/13 bux - it will ask you for this as a deposit after several hours of calls but the landline calls are still free
Skype is brilliant and I use it for all my calls home (UK) now. I have not noticed any problems with Skype recently. It always works fine. I am also going to check out Vonage. You can get a UK phone number and your family just call that number and your phone rings in the US! It's a local call for them (Skype has the same service). Let me know if any of you have done that. How does it work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.