VoIP

Old May 29th 2004, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road
Default VoIP

Is anyone else here using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)?
The neat thing about this technology is that you can take your U.S. phone number and service to any place in the world. Just plug the router (about the size of a large paperback book) into the broadband connector, plug a U.S. phone into the router and you'll have your U.S. phone service while abroad. Oh, you'll also need a power converter for the router if you travel to a place that doesn't have 100V, 60Hz service.
Old May 29th 2004, 8:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VoIP

Originally posted by edwords
Is anyone else here using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)?
The neat thing about this technology is that you can take your U.S. phone number and service to any place in the world. Just plug the router (about the size of a large paperback book) into the broadband connector, plug a U.S. phone into the router and you'll have your U.S. phone service while abroad. Oh, you'll also need a power converter for the router if you travel to a place that doesn't have 100V, 60Hz service.
Have you ever done this, or are you going on hearsay? Not doubting you, it just sounds amazing. I'm thinking of switching to Vonage, just $15 a month. I have basic, basic phone service with Sprint currently (not even a long-distance provider) and it's $30 a month. Only prob with Vonage is that they don't have the local area code, so I'd have to have a Raleigh number - and I think that means anyone calling me from here in town would pay for a long-distance call.
Old May 29th 2004, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dunroving
Have you ever done this, or are you going on hearsay? Not doubting you, it just sounds amazing. I'm thinking of switching to Vonage, just $15 a month. I have basic, basic phone service with Sprint currently (not even a long-distance provider) and it's $30 a month. Only prob with Vonage is that they don't have the local area code, so I'd have to have a Raleigh number - and I think that means anyone calling me from here in town would pay for a long-distance call.
Yes, it will work, but Vonage won't support its service outside of US/Canada due to regulatory issues.
I understand your area code concern. Area codes should become more or less meaningless over the next few years due to both VoIP and number portability. I live in Arizona in the 408 area code. I have two VoIP lines, both with 415 (San Francisco) area codes.
I know what I've writing about because I edit both a VoIP newsletter and cover the industry for a very well known business services firm. I like the people in this forum (well, most of them anyway) and just wanted to alert them to this important technology.
Old May 29th 2004, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear easier to just buy a tri band cell phone.
Old May 30th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

jg1012002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the VoIP and its just like a regular phone except you can take it with you and get your voicemails via email -- plus a few other options that make it cool. I had to have a New York number, although I live in NC.
Old May 30th 2004, 5:54 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the 2nd week of vonage's 14 day trial and I'm giving it 2.5 out of 5 currently. I'm using the 500 anywhere minutes at $15/month ($16 including tax). They aren't able to identify incoming cell phone numbers right now, they give you a device that has a 30 day warranty and costs $100 to replace if you break it. They charge to the nearest minute. Their customer services gave me 2 wrong pieces of info, possibly 3 as I'm working one more issue.

Having said that I do like the idea - you really need to use a wireless phone in the house with a number of handsets, rather than expect to continue plugging your separate phones into the walls.

I'll let you know if I decide to go with them or not.

One other thing - you can buy the service from BestBuy - you get the device there instead of vonage mailing it out to you. Doing it this way, you get a 60 or 90 day warranty with the same device.

I may end up cancelling the current service and buy a BestBuy device if they don't sort out my last problem with them....

Sam.
Old May 30th 2004, 11:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ukemigrant
I'm in the 2nd week of vonage's 14 day trial and I'm giving it 2.5 out of 5 currently. I'm using the 500 anywhere minutes at $15/month ($16 including tax). They aren't able to identify incoming cell phone numbers right now, they give you a device that has a 30 day warranty and costs $100 to replace if you break it. They charge to the nearest minute. Their customer services gave me 2 wrong pieces of info, possibly 3 as I'm working one more issue.

Having said that I do like the idea - you really need to use a wireless phone in the house with a number of handsets, rather than expect to continue plugging your separate phones into the walls.

I'll let you know if I decide to go with them or not.

One other thing - you can buy the service from BestBuy - you get the device there instead of vonage mailing it out to you. Doing it this way, you get a 60 or 90 day warranty with the same device.

I may end up cancelling the current service and buy a BestBuy device if they don't sort out my last problem with them....

Sam.
Please keep us up with how it goes! Thanks for the info so far!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 4:00 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep us up with how it goes! Thanks for the info so far!
Well I cancelled the vonage setup for the moment. The reasons were (quoting from my email to them):

>>
* I ended up with two phone numbers due to the inexperience of one of your customer service reps - I fear this might lead to complications later down the line if I had to cancel my account, despite assurances from your customer service reps.
* The warranty on the device is only 30 days, and it costs $100 to replace, so I am told by one of your customer service reps. 30 days warranty is not enough for a device that costs that much to replace.
* The service does not provide caller id for cell phones (or at least my T-Mobile one).
<<

They responded by having me call them as accounts must be cancelled verbally - obviously to give them a chance to keep you on - no mention of this on the website which says to email or call. At this point I was told that the $100 replacement charge will be refunded if you return the faulty device within 30 days - no mention of that anywhere.

Right now, having just received the authorization # to send the equipment back I have also at the same time received another email saying they have not received the equipment in time and will not be refunding me the disconnection fee of $40.

Obviously (always obviously!) that was a mistake and my swift response will no doubt elicit an equally swift response telling me to ignore that email....

Still some things to be ironed out with their billing system....

Having said all that, I will wait a week and buy the device from BestBuy and make sure the next account setup goes better....longer device warranty and all that

Sam.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

I've successfully used Skype recently to speak to a colleague who was at a conference in China. You have to have a microphone of some sort on your PC, or use a headset, and it seems to work pretty well.

Of course, the really good thing is, it's free. I guess they'll try and make money from value-added services (fwding calls to real numbers, voicemail etc).

Cheers,

Pat
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:23 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

this is a new service which has just launched...

www.lingo.com

it seems to be like vonage, plug an adaptor in etc and use broadband

however, for $20 a month you get unlimited USA, canada and western europe calls - seems like a good offering

just a general comment about your experience with vonage - the reasons for cancelling are pretty lame - no caller ID from cellphones? big deal, 2 phone numbers - get then to cancel one of them..... warranty too short?! 30 days is fine - if it works for a week it will probably work for 5 years. if you sit on it etc then i'm not sure a warranty would cover you anyway

i would have thought that the main matters to consider would be

1. reliability of phone connections
2. sound quality
3. ease of set-up and use

just my $0.02
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:23 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

Originally posted by BritGuyTN

www.lingo.com

however, for $20 a month you get unlimited USA, canada and western europe calls - seems like a good offering

just a general comment about your experience with vonage - the reasons for cancelling are pretty lame - no caller ID from cellphones? big deal, 2 phone numbers - get then to cancel one of them..... warranty too short?! 30 days is fine - if it works for a week it will probably work for 5 years. if you sit on it etc then i'm not sure a warranty would cover you anyway

2. sound quality

just my $0.02
Thanks for your contribution to the conversation. They "couldn't" cancel either of the numbers - go figure. 30 days is not fine if you're used to 1 year, which most of us from the UK are used to. I like caller id from a cell phone...it identifies landlines, why not cell phones?

Anyhoo
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

mrloofer is an unknown quantity at this point

I went with VoicePulse. Quality is great so is customer service. They have a special right now for $24.99 a month. Calls to UK cost me like 5c a minute. Been running it over a month now without any problems.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I used Skype when I lived in the UK to talk to friends in the US. Very clear, very convenient, your PC even rings like a phone when a call is coming through.

The downside is that you're published on Skype's phone directory, a bit like the MSN Messenger setup. Before I knew it I started to have dodgy phone calls from strangers!! Not exactly heavy breathing but :

Caller (Heavy Comedy Mexican Accent): Joe, is that you....
Me: Er..yes, who's this??
Caller: Ees Miguel
Me: Er...I don't know anyone called Miguel
Caller: Ees mee...Miguel!
Me(Indignant Brit): And I'm telling you I don't know anyone called Miguel...
Caller: Ees mee...Miguel!
Me: Oh look, just **** off....

and this happened a few times with a number of weird people, so I stopped using it....you can block names, but it was just too much like hard work!! I wouldn't have minded if it was just your common or garden pervert, it might have been good for a laugh....

Good sound though, I would have been able to hear the heavy breathing loud and clear....
Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritGuyTN

www.lingo.com

2. sound quality

just my $0.02

I have just signed up for lingo and it is great! Only bad thing, the call centres are in india, the phillipines and some russian republic. No one speaks good english and they are too helpful because of it. Maybe i should learn hindi or togalog?

But lingo itself...110% recommend it, Now i can speak to my mum for as long as i want and not worry about a bill! Also, i DID get a local number with lingo...
Old Jun 26th 2004, 2:11 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! fulls marks for taking the plunge and being an early adopter....

i would have signed up for it but i use my main line for business and can't take the risk it will mess up somehow - I would want to transfer my existing number and apparently it takes a few weeks....

right now i have a package with bellsouth where i get unlimited calls to the uk for $30 a month (add-on option) compared to traditional plans this is great, but obviously nowhere near as good as the lingo costing...

good luck and please report back in a few weeks with your experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.