Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visitors from UK, what do you do with transport?

Visitors from UK, what do you do with transport?

Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough
Default Visitors from UK, what do you do with transport?

We have got some family coming over soon and they are not keen on driving and our car will not fit everyone so was wondering is the best thing just to hire a car for their stay? It obviously won't be cheap as they are here for two weeks!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors from UK, what do you do with transport?

Rent a minivan maybe?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Make 'em walk.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:24 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsY
We have got some family coming over soon and they are not keen on driving and our car will not fit everyone so was wondering is the best thing just to hire a car for their stay? It obviously won't be cheap as they are here for two weeks!
I always get them to rent a car. Prices round here vary wildly, so a bit of legwork on t'interweb can usually save $$$$. Some UK sites have quoted me packages in pounds that include insurance and that have been lower than just booking over here without insurance. I think Travelocity.co.uk was good for this at the time I last used it (2 years ago).
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:25 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Make 'em walk.
Pushbike?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Try hotwire - they have some really cheap deals. And since you are presumably picking them up from the airport you can get the rental at the same time, rental cars always seem to be cheaper at the airport. Also check the big name car rental firm's own websites for deals, you might have to dig around a bit, but they usually have a page listing them all.

You could also try calling around some local dealerships if you are looking for a bigger car to rent that fits everyone. They are desperate for any kind of business right now.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

my rellies usually drive ours or if they don't want to I just send them a list of local rental agencies and let them get on with it!!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:17 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Lend them your spare truck?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Why are they not keen on driving? Do they drive in the UK?
Surely they need to get behind the wheel if they're going to fully enjoy the being in america experience?
And with a GPS there's no worries on the getting lost side of things.
Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:16 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I would tell them the situation and that they need to rent a minivan. You are giving them a place to stay and I assume preparing their meals which I am sure that they completely appreciate. But I think it is a bit much of them to expect you to rent the minivan.

We've not had to worry about transport yet. When 20-something stepsons come over they do NOT get the keys to our vehicles. I have a sports car and DH has an oversized truck. (Our US kids have never had the keys either.) We cart them around or my kids take them around.

As for the older crowd...we have some coming over in Sept/Oct and they will freak if they have to drive (3 of DH's sisters). He will be taking off work and carting them around also.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:18 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Your options also depend on what part of the country you live and if you live in the city or burbs or farther out.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough

They just aren't keen on driving, other side of the road etc! Also we only have one car so and due to lack of hols hubby won't be taking all two weeks off anyway. We've only been here since Oct so haven't got the big 7 seater car yet!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:11 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

They just aren't keen on driving, other side of the road etc! Also we only have one car so and due to lack of hols hubby won't be taking all two weeks off anyway. We've only been here since Oct so haven't got the big 7 seater car yet!
We had close friends visit last year, there were 4 of them and 3 of us I explained we could not transport 7 people unless we always drove 2 cars, they hired a 7 seater and my DH drove it, we contributed to gas, worked out pretty well.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:41 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
We had close friends visit last year, there were 4 of them and 3 of us I explained we could not transport 7 people unless we always drove 2 cars, they hired a 7 seater and my DH drove it, we contributed to gas, worked out pretty well.
Sounds like the best idea. Better yet, if you have full coverage ins. on your own car then you could rent it in your name as ins. transfers to rental and let them reimburse you. That way they will not have to purchase the mandatoryl ins. for nonresidents.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:18 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I know this isn't the solution to the OP's situation but still: When we lived in London one of the times my inlaws came over to visit we planned to do a big tour round the Lake District and Scotland. We only had a small hatchback (Citroen ZX) at the time and since my wife's sister was also coming along there was no way we could just use that. I looked into renting a minivan or similar but then I noticed someone a couple of streets away selling an old Volvo 240 DL Estate. It was an F reg and had 125,000 on the clock but on impulse I bought it for £900, with the intention of punting it on after the big trip. However - we fell in love with it, kept it, sold the hatchback (which I'd never really liked and had a few issues) and drove it around absolutely trouble-free for another year until I sold it for £600 prior to moving here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.