Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

visitor health insurance

visitor health insurance

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:23 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Davetheraver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visitor health insurance

My wife and I are going to Denver for 6months from the UK in October. She is 72 and has to have a monthly Avastin eye injection for Macular Degeneration.Her UK specialist has arranged for her to have the same treatment in the USA.which is good.

But because she will be having medical treatment outside the UK,No UK Travel Insurance company will insure her.So I will have to find Medical Insurance in the USA.
My initial enquiries so far have not been successful.Most Insurers will only cover her for any new medical issues but will not cover existing conditions.

So I am hoping that someone reading this post might have some knowledge or advice they could help me with?
Davetheraver is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:34 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,782
Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor health insurance

I very much doubt you'll have ANY luck finding coverage. After all, the costs are known, so to get coverage for something that is known in advance is counter-intuitive for an insurance company. Think about it. Would you take a $100 premium for something you know is going to cost you $500?

You'd have difficulty finding reasonably priced insurance for a healthy 72-year-old!

Do you have your visas sorted out? If not, how are you planning on staying in Denver for six months?
Guindalf is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:41 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Davetheraver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visitor health insurance

We have just got our B2 Visa and were trying to arrange our Travel Insurance. When this problem occurred.Thanks for your advice.I thought it would be difficult.
Davetheraver is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:01 am
  #4  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 9,833
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor health insurance

Originally Posted by Davetheraver View Post
We have just got our B2 Visa and were trying to arrange our Travel Insurance. When this problem occurred.Thanks for your advice.I thought it would be difficult.
Is it not possible to pay for this treatment, and get an insurance policy that specifically excludes the eye treatment and associated condition?

No idea what the treatment would cost. Is it just a simple outpatient procedure? Maybe $1,000 per visit?

Edit to add; $50? Sounds cheap... http://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseas...tis-difference

Last edited by robin1234; Aug 4th 2016 at 7:04 am. Reason: Found a link...
robin1234 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:58 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30,568
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor health insurance

What you seem to want, an Insurer to cover a known event, is not logical.

I am slightly intrigued as to who will cover OAP's in the US for such long periods under regular travel Insurance.

There are things like Patriot America etc, a cut down version of US health insurance.
Boiler is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:37 pm
  #6  
Chocoholic !
 
ChocolateBabz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX - Officially Not Shit since 2009
Posts: 2,315
ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor health insurance

Originally Posted by Davetheraver View Post
My wife and I are going to Denver for 6months from the UK in October. She is 72 and has to have a monthly Avastin eye injection for Macular Degeneration.Her UK specialist has arranged for her to have the same treatment in the USA.which is good.

But because she will be having medical treatment outside the UK,No UK Travel Insurance company will insure her.So I will have to find Medical Insurance in the USA.
My initial enquiries so far have not been successful.Most Insurers will only cover her for any new medical issues but will not cover existing conditions.

So I am hoping that someone reading this post might have some knowledge or advice they could help me with?
When you say her UK specialist has arranged for her to have the same treatment do you mean he has organized it with a specialist where you will be staying in Denver. If that is the case I would phone them up and ask what the treatments will cost you as a cash payer with no insurance. Then I would look for travel insurance which is almost certainly going to exclude pre-existing conditions and won't be cheap for a trip of that duration, but you really must have - a trip or fall with a broken bone could cost you thousands. It's awful that you get to the point in your life where you can finally take long trips and enjoy the world and then insurance stops you, my in-laws will probably never visit us again because of several medical issues.
ChocolateBabz is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:46 pm
  #7  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 45,975
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor health insurance

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
When you say her UK specialist has arranged for her to have the same treatment do you mean he has organized it with a specialist where you will be staying in Denver. If that is the case I would phone them up and ask what the treatments will cost you as a cash payer with no insurance. Then I would look for travel insurance which is almost certainly going to exclude pre-existing conditions and won't be cheap for a trip of that duration, .....
This, but I wonder if potential insurers would worry about potential complications linked to the non-covered procedures while she is in the US? What if she has a reaction to the injection, an infection at the injection site, or a heart attack brought in by stress while in the clinic?
Pulaski is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:55 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 6,501
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor health insurance

As someone else has said, have you found out how much these injections, being carried out in Denver, will cost you?

Even if you could get insurance in the US, which you can't, they would not cover the injections.
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:04 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 1,770
MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor health insurance

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
This, but I wonder if potential insurers would worry about potential complications linked to the non-covered procedures while she is in the US? What if she has a reaction to the injection, an infection at the injection site, or a heart attack brought in by stress while in the clinic?
Really important points to consider. I suspect that they would treat it all as related to the pre-existing condition and refuse payment.

I wish the OP well but I think that getting cover for this extended period at this age, even without the pre-existing condition, would be a challenge.
MidAtlantic is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.