Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting US while visa pending

Visiting US while visa pending

Old Jan 1st 2002, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Waiting is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard mixed reports about visiting my US finacee while our visa is being processed. Some say you can enter as normal on a visa waiver, others say you can be turned around and denied entry, or worse banned from returning for 5 years?!

Does anyone have any advice on this situation. I'd dearly love to visit soon, but am scared of what might happen at immigration.

Some people say that you should bring copies of your lease a letter from your employer and other ties to home country when going through US immigration. Is this enough? What about going one step further..?

What if I wrote a formal statement, and had it witnessed and signed/notarized, the statement saying that I am entering the US to visit only for a period of three weeks, and have no intention of overstaying the three weeks my return airline ticket shows. And that if I should overstay then I voluntarily relinquish all rights to adjust my status to a permanent resident. Would something like this help?

Old Jan 2nd 2002, 2:27 am
Nukespec

while your visa is pending they look down on the idea of you traveling to the US. my
wife was turn back for a visa in her own country now she has to go to thialand
.cambodia is sending her to her interview in a country she can't speak there language

Old Jan 2nd 2002, 3:27 am
Rob

I will file for AOS based on marriage. According to my information I have to send in
the forms I-485, G-325A, I-130, I-864, I-693, I-765, I-131. Now for I-693 I need
medical clearance for several diseases. Estimated times for clearance are upto 300
days (Tuberculin). Does that mean I have to wait upto 300 days before I can file for
AOS? If not what exactly do I need for I-693?

Thanks,

Rob

Old Jan 2nd 2002, 9:56 am
Jim Stumbo

I think rob wanted this as a new question.

>
to
    >
for
    >
    >
upto
    >
I-693?
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 6th 2002, 10:52 pm
Judith Johnson

I have entered the US while our visa request was pending, they didn't make a problem
at all about it, as long as you don't try to hide anything and answer thruthfully
when they ask you why you're here. I told them I was visiting my fiancee and the guy
just asked me if I knew the right procedure to immigrate, and i told him we were on
it and I was allowed to enter. I think if you are just open and honest about why
you're there and maybe even bring some proof (copies?) of your pending visa
application you won't have a problem.

Judith

in article [email protected], Waiting at [email protected] wrote on
1/1/02 6:01 PM:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >