Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting the UK - tax free shopping?

Visiting the UK - tax free shopping?

Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the UK - tax free shopping?

Originally Posted by dazy
Interesting, I had very different experience with tax refunds very recently! I was never bothered to go through all this, until my friend encouraged me when we went to London couple of months back last. I do not only shop in Solan Square), but I was surprised how much I could get on tax free shopping, http://www.global-blue.com/en/london/tax-free-shopping. You are right, a lot of it is upmarket, but I was surprised to find out how many places support tax refund. And...do not freak out when you see the queue to stamp your receipts in Heathrow - it looks longer then it actually takes)
I've never heard of Global Blue before. It looks like a 3rd party company. AFAIK the forms I've had from the likes of M&S etc are HM Customs and Excise forums and they are given in to the Customs and Excise office at the airport.

The reason it's usually only the large stores that participate in the scheme is because the store pay the VAT.

I never have to wait in a queue either...as I said I fly early morning from Manchester and the VAT office is closed so I leave the paperwork in the drop box.

Edit: I see they rebranded their name a few months ago...still no idea if it's the same as I've used before.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 29th 2010 at 1:24 am.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

dazy is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right, as far as I know they were called Global Refund before and they are massive. I didn't have any problems, everything was very straightforward, quick and easy...
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazy
You are right, as far as I know they were called Global Refund before and they are massive. I didn't have any problems, everything was very straightforward, quick and easy...
They just take a huge chunk of the refund.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
They just take a huge chunk of the refund.

Reg. Frank R.
Hello.

That's what I was thinking.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello.

That's what I was thinking.
Hi Jersey, I have been doing the tax/Vat refund for years, the fees were small, now become a rip off.
Bit like the parking in Hotels "We don't control the prices, we don't run our own parking anymore. The parking has been handed over to a parking company"

Reg. Frank R.

Hows the summer heat up in NJ?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Jersey, I have been doing the tax/Vat refund for years, the fees were small, now become a rip off.
Bit like the parking in Hotels "We don't control the prices, we don't run our own parking anymore. The parking has been handed over to a parking company"

Reg. Frank R.

Hows the summer heat up in NJ?
I haven't claimed VAT for a few years. Can't be bothered with all the hassle to be honest...it's not worth it anymore. When I used to go to the UK every now and then I would bring a ton of stuff back with me and claim. Now I go over several times a year, so I'm not bringing as much back each time...I also leave things in the UK so I can't claim for those.

Very hot and humid...90/100F. Off to the Great White North tomorrow. I asked my daughter if it was hot there...she said yes about 20C. I'll pack my UGGS.

I'm sure I've no need to ask about the Sunshine State. How's you...is boy wonder living back home now?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I haven't claimed VAT for a few years. Can't be bothered with all the hassle to be honest...it's not worth it anymore. When I used to go to the UK every now and then I would bring a ton of stuff back with me and claim. Now I go over several times a year, so I'm not bringing as much back each time...I also leave things in the UK so I can't claim for those.

Very hot and humid...90/100F. Off to the Great White North tomorrow. I asked my daughter if it was hot there...she said yes about 20C. I'll pack my UGGS.

I'm sure I've no need to ask about the Sunshine State. How's you...is boy wonder living back home now?
Boy wonder alias mister big, alias, what happened to that smart nice boy? living in Atlanta, even though has rent paid until end July, Athens. Annoying the hell out of us, he turned down international company in Connecticut. Stupid in love boy/man/fool.

Enjoy the north, too cold for me. Scorcher here. Beach manana mid 90's feel like 105/110, high humidity. Have another Pina Colada.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Boy wonder alias mister big, alias, what happened to that smart nice boy? living in Atlanta, even though has rent paid until end July, Athens. Annoying the hell out of us, he turned down international company in Connecticut. Stupid in love boy/man/fool.

Enjoy the north, too cold for me. Scorcher here. Beach manana mid 90's feel like 105/110, high humidity. Have another Pina Colada.
Love can do that to you.

Have one for me...cheers.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Love can do that to you.

Have one for me...cheers.
I like the cheers icon, good one.

Enjoy Canada