Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK this summer, NHS ?

Visiting UK this summer, NHS ?

Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:16 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK this summer, NHS ?

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
As i say, i've more than paid my fair share towards the NHS when I lived in the UK.
How would you define your "fair share"?
  • More than I have paid?
  • More than the average person has paid?
  • More than you have used the service?
  • $10?

I can't think of an answer that reflects well on the statement.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Speedwell
OK, so correct me if I have made a bad assumption. But you are mostly talking as if the taxes you pay to the UK are held on account for services due specifically to you, the taxpayer. I was under the impression that you pay taxes to the system for the public good, not for your private benefit. Which is it, folks?
Neither.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My point is, the UK needs to stop the widescale abuse of the NHS from non British Citizens who haven't paid a dime into the system before I - who have contributed all my adult life as a higher rate tax payer - feel that I am not due free medical treatment on the NHS.
Can't argue that the system needs fixing, I just don't see that joining the abusers will solve anything.

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time for the folk that adopt the "I'm entitled and bollox to reality" attitude - it causes problems all over the place, not just with the NHS.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Why do you keep mentioning, specifically, that you're a higher-rate taxpayer? What's so special about paying higher-rate tax as opposed to basic-rate tax?

The impression you're giving everyone is that paying more tax makes you feel more entitled. That's unfortunate if it is indeed the case.
That's absolutely the case as far as i'm concerned. I pay more in, so I should get more out. Not that it works remotely like that, unfortunately.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Can't argue that the system needs fixing, I just don't see that joining the abusers will solve anything.

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time for the folk that adopt the "I'm entitled and bollox to reality" attitude - it causes problems all over the place, not just with the NHS.
See my previous post. I have full US medical insurance, which would cover me if I returned on holiday to the UK and required non-emergency treatment / repatriation to the US etc (I would stay in the UK though, as my family are all there).
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Speedwell
OK, so correct me if I have made a bad assumption. But you are mostly talking as if the taxes you pay to the UK are held on account for services due specifically to you, the taxpayer. I was under the impression that you pay taxes to the system for the public good, not for your private benefit. Which is it, folks?
It should be both, most of the time it works out to be neither however.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

I guess when you have a marginal tax rate of ~66% (as I did in the UK), you do start to feel a greater sense of entitlement than those whose marginal rate isn't as great, or don't pay the same amount into the system.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:47 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

See my previous post. I have full US medical insurance, which would cover me if I returned on holiday to the UK and required non-emergency treatment / repatriation to the US etc (I would stay in the UK though, as my family are all there).
Oh, sorry, my mistake...I obviously misinterpreted the "wow I would never do that" bit - I should clearly have read it as "yes, that's what I would do then claim it back from my US insurance". My bad
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:51 pm

I guess when you have a marginal tax rate of ~66% (as I did in the UK), you do start to feel a greater sense of entitlement than those whose marginal rate isn't as great, or don't pay the same amount into the system.
As someone asked earlier, why do you keep banging on about that? I'm sure there are a lot of people on here in that position, but whether you like it or not, it doesn't change your entitlement. But as you've already stated, your view now is that you would obviously pay then claim back, so we're all good.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please! Do you think you are the only expat to have paid high taxes in the UK? I for one am not impressed with your boasting and even less impressed with your morals.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has also been a higher rate taxpayer for 20+ years but wouldn't have dreamed of trying to use the NHS for free when we were living abroad. He has no sense of 'entitlement' whatsoever.

I've had several years of paying no tax when I've been at home raising small children, so presumably by your logic I shouldn't have been covered by the NHS during that time, despite actually living in the UK unlike you?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh please! Do you think you are the only expat to have paid high taxes in the UK?
Of course not. Do I believe i'm in the majority of people who would expect to be treated for free by the NHS in the country of my birth? I believe I am.

Anyway, this thread has run its course I suspect...
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Scotland earlier this year, my 11 year old son was seen in A&E by a consultant and admitted overnight for observation.

While none of the medical staff asked questions about residency, the admission forms do ask those questions so we completed them with my parents address in Scotland and our home address here in the US as requested.

A lady from the finance office called my husband while we were there and we were then billed via mail when we returned home, it was GBP1004 for the full stay. I paid the bill in full and our insurers reimbursed approximately half, I have claimed the rest from the travel insurance policy we had.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We were in Scotland earlier this year, my 11 year old son was seen in A&E by a consultant and admitted overnight for observation.

While none of the medical staff asked questions about residency, the admission forms do ask those questions so we completed them with my parents address in Scotland and our home address here in the US as requested.

A lady from the finance office called my husband while we were there and we were then billed via mail when we returned home, it was GBP1004 for the full stay. I paid the bill in full and our insurers reimbursed approximately half, I have claimed the rest from the travel insurance policy we had.
Very good factual post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.