Visiting the UK with Non-EU Wife/Border Patrol Protocol

Visiting the UK with Non-EU Wife/Border Patrol Protocol

Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:42 am
Just Joined

earthworm_gym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting the UK with Non-EU Wife/Border Patrol Protocol

Hey,

Not sure where to post this question, so figured this might work:

Wife (US) and I (British) are visiting the UK for Christmas this year. When we arrive at the UK Border Patrol, do we travel together in the UK/EU citizenship line, or do we separate- with me going through the UK/EU line and she going through Visitor's line?

Thanks in advance!

-J-
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:55 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the UK with Non-EU Wife/Border Patrol Protocol

You should go through separate lines. I've always taken my US kids through the citizens line with me, but I'm not sure they'd let you get away with it for a fully functioning, autonomous adult

If you're a dual citizen you could both go through the non-EU line, of course.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Interesting! I've heard on the contrary today, in that family "goes through as one." You know who I can call to get official answer?
Old Dec 19th 2016, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earthworm_gym
Interesting! I've heard on the contrary today, in that family "goes through as one." You know who I can call to get official answer?
Calling for an answer seems a bit OTT. Just ask one of the employees hovering over the lines.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Just want to be prepared, that's all.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 2:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Prepare for going through separate lines, then be pleasantly surprised if you get to go through together.

Rene
Old Dec 19th 2016, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to be prepared, that's all.
I don't get the need to prepare for this. There are a few lines to choose from and employees directing traffic.

I can only think of three outcomes from you and wife going in UK/EU citizen line:

- all OK
- disgruntled look from the border person
- non citizen asked to join other line
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

At Heathrow, even when we were just dating, I went through the non-eu line with my now wife, as felt bad leaving her in the queue alone, and once it was our turn the officer said to me that I could have taken her through the EU line with me! I think since married you'll definitely be fine taking her with you through that line. They are all setup to handle all nationalities, they just separate it to make it quicker for EU passengers as it takes less time to process them.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:26 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I don't get the need to prepare for this.
Right?

The protocol is that you go through the line which is clearly labelled according to your own citizenship.

Assuming that neither of you needs assistance with a disability, it's not too much of a hardship. You can always wave at each other.

It's actually never occurred to me to ask if my husband and I can go through together - to be honest, after 11hrs in a pressurised tin can with him snoring next to me, it's somewhat of a relief to stand in a separate line for a few minutes
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Not sure where to post this question, so figured this might work:

Wife (US) and I (British) are visiting the UK for Christmas this year. When we arrive at the UK Border Patrol, do we travel together in the UK/EU citizenship line, or do we separate- with me going through the UK/EU line and she going through Visitor's line?

Thanks in advance!

-J-
I (U.K. Citizen) went through the non EU line with my US citizen wife the last few times, it was shorter and the immigration officers didn't care.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:30 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

At Heathrow my wife and I go through the British/EU line together. She's a U.S. citizen. That way, the officer can see the whole situation, he can ask us our relationship and holiday plans or whatever. Easier for us and for the officials. The EU/British line is usually very short since most are going through the automated system.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to go through whichever line is shorter. At Manchester airport the non-EU line is nonexistent
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
At Heathrow my wife and I go through the British/EU line together. She's a U.S. citizen. That way, the officer can see the whole situation, he can ask us our relationship and holiday plans or whatever. Easier for us and for the officials. The EU/British line is usually very short since most are going through the automated system.
We're flying into Heathrow also. Do we need anything to prove our marriage? haha!
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
I don't get the need to prepare for this. There are a few lines to choose from and employees directing traffic.

I can only think of three outcomes from you and wife going in UK/EU citizen line:

- all OK
- disgruntled look from the border person
- non citizen asked to join other line
One time we were asked to rejoin a different massive line because the employee put us in the wrong place!
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We're flying into Heathrow also. Do we need anything to prove our marriage? haha!
?????? Why would you have to prove your marriage to enter the UK? Your spouse and children have passports don't they? You are all traveling together, right? You all have the same surname? If not, even that doesn't matter. They enter the UK based on their US Citizenship and desire to visit not on their relationship to a UK Citizen.

I know you are worried about joining a line as a family group, but have you never flown together to the UK before now? Seems like a little thing to be obsessed about. As pointed out they appear to allow families to remain together when entering and you will encounter this when you return to the US after your holiday.

Merry Christmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.