Reload this Page >

Visiting the UK with Non-EU Wife/Border Patrol Protocol

Visiting the UK with Non-EU Wife/Border Patrol Protocol

Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

earthworm_gym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visiting the UK with Non-EU Wife/Border Patrol Protocol

Originally Posted by Rete
?????? Why would you have to prove your marriage to enter the UK? Your spouse and children have passports don't they? You are all traveling together, right? You all have the same surname? If not, even that doesn't matter. They enter the UK based on their US Citizenship and desire to visit not on their relationship to a UK Citizen.

I know you are worried about joining a line as a family group, but have you never flown together to the UK before now? Seems like a little thing to be obsessed about. As pointed out they appear to allow families to remain together when entering and you will encounter this when you return to the US after your holiday.

Merry Christmas.
Yeah you're right. Just wanna make sure we through with no issues. Thanks for advice.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earthworm_gym
We're flying into Heathrow also. Do we need anything to prove our marriage? haha!
Just interrupt each other a couple of times, maybe one of you look totally disgusted with the other.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There were times when I worked in the immigration halls at Heathrow that I used to wonder how people had managed to get that far.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
There were times when I worked in the immigration halls at Heathrow that I used to wonder how people had managed to get that far.
I've traveled with business colleagues quite a few times and I just stand with them in the non-EU line and show my British passport. Once when traveling with my boss and we were in Frankfurt airport the border control official gave my boss a hard time. (We had flown from Amsterdam and were changing planes for Basel). I then walked up and presented my UK passport and when the officer looked at me I simply said "I'm with my boss" before he could ask me why I was in the wrong line. He simply said "I feel sorry for you" and waved me through.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year me (Dual), my USC wife and kid were in the non-EU line, the immigration guy moved us to the front of EU line. So I'm not sure it matters too much. We didn't have to prove we were married. We do all have the same last name.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 10:41 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugilation
We tend to go through whichever line is shorter.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!!

Just do this. No need to talk to any traffic-herders either - they have little authority anyway.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm dual, wife is US only. We always go through which ever line is shortest, never an issue.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

I've been through UK airports on several occasions with my US citizen wife and each time received a different response.

On our first trip to the UK through Heathrow terminal 3, we assumed we need to line up separately and started to voluntarily separate when a U.K. Border rep saw this, told us groups travel together and directed us to the EU line where we were processed without issue.

The second time was through Stansted, shortly thereafter, returning from a short trip to the continent. We lined up in the EU line only to be told to get into the other line.

The third time was through Heathrow, again we just got into the EU line because it was shorter. The officer at the counter told us that she'd process us but that we had to be married to go through together (we weren't married at the time).

The bottom line is that there is no bottom line. I've heard that policies can change from day to day and even vary from terminal to terminal. When in doubt ask or just join the shorter line. The worst they can do is send you to the other line.

Also would like to add that your US citizen wife should always be prepared to show proof of onward travel/ return ticket to the US. It is unlikely that they will ask see it but if they do and you don't have it, they could give you a really hard time. It happened to us once and put a bit of a damper on an otherwise fantastic trip.

Last edited by deng890; Dec 26th 2016 at 10:04 am.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 11:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deng890
I've been through UK airports on several occasions with my US citizen wife and each time received a different response.

On our first trip to the UK through Heathrow terminal 3, we assumed we need to line up separately and started to voluntarily separate when a U.K. Border rep saw this, told us groups travel together and directed us to the EU line where we were processed without issue.

The second time was through Stansted, shortly thereafter, returning from a short trip to the continent. We lined up in the EU line only to be told to get into the other line.

The third time was through Heathrow, again we just got into the EU line because it was shorter. The officer at the counter told us that she'd process us but that we had to be married to go through together (we weren't married at the time).

The bottom line is that there is no bottom line. I've heard that policies can change from day to day and even vary from terminal to terminal. When in doubt ask or just join the shorter line. The worst they can do is send you to the other line.

Also would like to add that your US citizen wife should always be prepared to show proof of onward travel/ return ticket to the US. It is unlikely that they will ask see it but if they do and you don't have it, they could give you a really hard time. It happened to us once and put a bit of a damper on an otherwise fantastic trip.
I've read the married thing before too, and just re-read it on another site after searching following your response.

So, the summary of everything I've read so far (here and elsewhere) is:

1) If married then allowed to use EU queue together (but non-EU can be used if shorter as this sometimes is the case).
2) If not married then use separate queues, but can attempt to use shortest queue together and may be ok. Worst case scenario one is sent back into 'correct' queue.

This makes sense and seems logical to me.