Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK with non-EU spouse

Visiting UK with non-EU spouse

Old May 4th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all
Default Visiting UK with non-EU spouse

I am going to be visiting the UK for a few days with my wife, who is from a non-EU country (she is not a US citizen either). She has a visitors visa for the UK. We live permanently in the US. I have a couple of questions, and would be particularly grateful for any experiences from those in similar circumstances.

1. Can she join me in the shorter EU passport line as we go through immigration ? or should I line up with her in the non-EU line ?

2. has anyone experienced additional questioning and suchlike from UK immigration, on the basis that they believe the couple intend to stay permanently in the UK ?
Old May 4th 2010, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK with non-EU spouse

Originally Posted by newXgate
1. Can she join me in the shorter EU passport line as we go through immigration ? or should I line up with her in the non-EU line ?
It would depend on what sort of flight you're on. If it is a flight totally full of jolly British chaps join her in the non EU line it will possibly be quicker.

If on the other hand the plane is full of dirty foreigners go in the EU line which will be quicker and you can then wait for her on the other side pulling funny faces at her.
Old May 5th 2010, 12:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It would depend on what sort of flight you're on. If it is a flight totally full of jolly British chaps join her in the non EU line it will possibly be quicker.

If on the other hand the plane is full of dirty foreigners go in the EU line which will be quicker and you can then wait for her on the other side pulling funny faces at her.
The latter is much more fun.
Old May 5th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I arrived in the UK with my non EU wife ( from Chile), I took her with me thru the Uk citizens line and politely asked the immigration official if it was OK for her to go thru that line with me, and he said there was no problem, and off we went. Maybe it just depends on getting a decent bloke at the counter
Old May 5th 2010, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
...Maybe it just depends on getting a decent bloke at the counter
That and how busy they are.
Old May 6th 2010, 3:00 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

If I recall correctly, the two of you can go through the EU line together.
Old May 6th 2010, 5:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
If I recall correctly, the two of you can go through the EU line together.
Yeah, I got scolded for going through the UKC liine with my UK spouse.
Old May 6th 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Gruffalogill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newXgate

2. has anyone experienced additional questioning and suchlike from UK immigration, on the basis that they believe the couple intend to stay permanently in the UK ?
If she's non-EU then the Immigration Officer has to ask her the basic questions - how long are you staying/what are you doing? As mentioned above it really depends how busy they are and if the IO is an officious jobsworth or not. As far as I know (and it's been a while since I was a port IO) there is no right for her to accompany you.

As far as point 2 goes, just make sure you have her proof of US residency handy.

Just be as polite as humanly possible
Old May 6th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Both in Heathrow and in Aberdeen, I was NOT appreciated going in the EU line with my UKC husband.

So now I don't.