Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting UK as a family

Visiting UK as a family

Old May 13th 2011, 8:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting UK as a family

Originally Posted by Anian
Is this a recent change? I've always been able to go through the UK one with my USC wife without issues, and vice versa on the way back. Quickest service in both directions!
In other threads on this topic we've had a mixed bag of results. We did the same as you once and were allowed through no problem. Another time, we were scolded and I was told to use the non-EU line.
I guess it is like a box of chocolates.
Old May 13th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Now why wouldn't the Queen have a passport?
Perhaps the wording on the inside cover of a UK passport will help to explain why it is neither necessary or appropriate for the queen to carry a passport ...

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.
Since the queen is "Her Britannic Majesty" she doesn't need to carry a document issued by her secretary of state that "requests and requires" things in her name - she can do all of the requesting and requiring for herself in person if necessary ...
Old May 13th 2011, 10:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well when your face is all over the money and stamps, ID can be pretty flexible
It might be a case where you don't expect to meet someone famous, and when you do, you think they look familiar but can't quite place them...LOL

Like maybe if she were in the Immigration line, the officer might glance at her and say "Has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like the Queen?". LOL

Rene
Old May 13th 2011, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus
When I went back to the UK at Christmas with my USC boyfriend. I took him through the UK passport holders line with me (UKC/USC), since the non-EU line had a lot of people in it and the EU line only had 3.

No-one seemed to mind, they asked a couple of questions about where we lived and what we were doing in UK, but other than that we were in and out in a few mins.
We've done the same (hubs has the UK passport, daughter and I are carrying US passports) and there was no problem.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

In other threads on this topic we've had a mixed bag of results. We did the same as you once and were allowed through no problem. Another time, we were scolded and I was told to use the non-EU line.
Different airports? Should be interesting to see how it works this time for us. Last time we flew into Heathrow, this time we will fly into Dublin....
Old May 14th 2011, 3:06 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Is this a recent change? I've always been able to go through the UK one with my USC wife without issues, and vice versa on the way back. Quickest service in both directions!
I didn't know you could do that.

I might not let on - it's a good way to get 15 minutes peace and quiet after the flight
Old May 14th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatadiva
When we plan to visit the UK next year.
Me having my UK passport, our baby having a UK and U.S passport, and hubby having his U.S passport.

which passport line will my husband have to take if we are travelling together. would he have to follow the non-EU line or can we all be together in the UK line.
In Feb my daughter and I went to the UK for a visit. We flew into Newcastle (via Amsterdam) My daughter has a US passport and I have a UK. We first stood in the Non EU because it had a shorter line, then the EU line cleared out so I switched to that desk, I was told to go back to the non EU line because I had a non EU traveller with me.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming the other way, we've often been allowed to go through the US citizen line (DH US passport, me UK passport). Last time we queued for the US line for about an hour then we were BOTH sent to the non citizen line. If they reason that a couple with one US citizen cannot go through the citizen line, basically they must be saying you both have to go through non citizen since families only have one customs form between them.

I have to say I find it very confusing and last time they were not nice about it!
Old May 16th 2011, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Yes, in my experience it's definetely a mixed bag. I went to the UK last year with my US citizen girlfriend and the immigration personnel at Heathrow directed us to "stay as a group" and go through the UK line (which was fantastic...a few quick q's from some bored looking IO's and we were outta there!) Going through Stansted after a quick trip to the continent was completely different...they scolded us for trying to use the UK/EU line and made us line up again at the non-EU line.