British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Visiting UK as a family (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/visiting-uk-family-716903/)

whatadiva May 13th 2011 5:04 pm

Visiting UK as a family

When we plan to visit the UK next year.
Me having my UK passport, our baby having a UK and U.S passport, and hubby having his U.S passport.

which passport line will my husband have to take if we are travelling together. would he have to follow the non-EU line or can we all be together in the UK line.

sir_eccles May 13th 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Visiting UK as a family

There are technically three lines in the UK now.

- non-EU
- UK/EU
- UK automated

The last being unmanned, you have to have a chipped passport to use it. I had a friendly race with my wife as she stood in the non-EU line and I went for the automated one. The non-EU line was very slow.

whatadiva May 13th 2011 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9362504)
There are technically three lines in the UK now.

- non-EU
- UK/EU
- UK automated

The last being unmanned, you have to have a chipped passport to use it. I had a friendly race with my wife as she stood in the non-EU line and I went for the automated one. The non-EU line was very slow.

so family or not, my husband will have to stand int he non-EU line?

SultanOfSwing May 13th 2011 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by whatadiva (Post 9362516)
so family or not, my husband will have to stand int he non-EU line?

If your husband is a non-EU passport holder (i.e. the US passport is his only one) then yes, he will have to go through the non-EU line as he'll need to go through immigration.

You and the baby have a choice though. You can use your US passports and go with your husband, or use the UK ones and go through the UK/EU line. It's up to you (as long as you use your US one to exit and enter the US).

I'd be inclined to use the UK one and breeze on through to baggage claim, but with a baby in tow you might all want to go together, whatever you want to do really :)

limeynus May 13th 2011 5:58 pm

When I went back to the UK at Christmas with my USC boyfriend. I took him through the UK passport holders line with me (UKC/USC), since the non-EU line had a lot of people in it and the EU line only had 3.

No-one seemed to mind, they asked a couple of questions about where we lived and what we were doing in UK, but other than that we were in and out in a few mins.

GeoffM May 13th 2011 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9362504)
I had a friendly race with my wife as she stood in the non-EU line and I went for the automated one. The non-EU line was very slow.

Twice the wife has beaten me, her through the non-EU line, me through the (non-automated) UK line. Yes, she had to (apparently) use the non-EU line even though she was married to me. Just depends on the flight(s) arriving at the time.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9362542)
as he'll need to go through immigration.

Everybody does! (Except maybe the Queen)

SultanOfSwing May 13th 2011 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9362588)
Twice the wife has beaten me, her through the non-EU line, me through the (non-automated) UK line. Yes, she had to (apparently) use the non-EU line even though she was married to me. Just depends on the flight(s) arriving at the time.

Oh shite. Well you know what I meant :o

GeoffM May 13th 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9362590)
Oh shite. Well you know what I meant :o

Couldn't resist it, sorry! :p

SultanOfSwing May 13th 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9362790)
Couldn't resist it, sorry! :p

No need to apologise, I'd have done the same . . .

:)

meauxna May 13th 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9362588)

I wonder what foreign countries do when HM comes to visit? She has to be admitted somehow. Do you think they have an officer go on board the private plane, or does she get ushered to a private room to be admitted?

Where's MrF when you need him?

lansbury May 13th 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9362826)
I wonder what foreign countries do when HM comes to visit? She has to be admitted somehow. Do you think they have an officer go on board the private plane, or does she get ushered to a private room to be admitted?

Where's MrF when you need him?

At Heathrow dignitaries using the Royal Suite wait in the lounge and have their passports taken into an office where they are stamped. I've been in there a few times when the POTUS, President Putin and others have arrived. Also Queenie but I can't remember if she had a passport.

Likewise the VIP Suites have their own immigration office.

Jerseygirl May 13th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by limeynus (Post 9362582)
When I went back to the UK at Christmas with my USC boyfriend. I took him through the UK passport holders line with me (UKC/USC), since the non-EU line had a lot of people in it and the EU line only had 3.

No-one seemed to mind, they asked a couple of questions about where we lived and what we were doing in UK, but other than that we were in and out in a few mins.

We did the name with my daughter's Canadian fiance...he was told not to use the EU line again.

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9362857)
At Heathrow dignitaries using the Royal Suite wait in the lounge and have their passports taken into an office where they are stamped. I've been in there a few times when the POTUS, President Putin and others have arrived. Also Queenie but I can't remember if she had a passport.

The Queen doesn't have a passport. All other members of the Royal Family do.

Bob May 13th 2011 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9362892)
The Queen doesn't have a passport. All other members of the Royal Family do.

Well when your face is all over the money and stamps, ID can be pretty flexible :D

As to the OP, which ever line is shortest but how much grief you may or may not get would depend on the airport.

meauxna May 13th 2011 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9362857)

d'oh, I should have thought to ask you.

Now why wouldn't the Queen have a passport? I mean, I can see the obvious, but I'll bet she keeps one in that handbag of hers. Rattling around with her lipstick, since there's nothing else in there.

Anian May 13th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9362542)
If your husband is a non-EU passport holder (i.e. the US passport is his only one) then yes, he will have to go through the non-EU line as he'll need to go through immigration.

Is this a recent change? I've always been able to go through the UK one with my USC wife without issues, and vice versa on the way back. Quickest service in both directions!