Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting San Fran, do i/should i carry ID with me everywhere

Visiting San Fran, do i/should i carry ID with me everywhere

Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Visiting San Fran, do i/should i carry ID with me everywhere

Hey will be visiting san fran next week do i need to carry my passport with me everywhere, I dont have any other type of ID and am worried about loosing my passport, or being robbed.

Would the Australian Keypass card work? www.keypass.com.au ?

thanks

Dave
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Visiting San Fran, do i/should i carry ID with me everywhere

I don't think it's necessary to carry ID with you in San Francisco, unless of course you're trying to get into a place that requires ID if you look underage, i.e. bars, nightclubs, etc. Sometimes they do ask for ID when you're paying by credit card but that isn't always the case. I've never heard of the keypass but if it's official it should satisfy the need for an ID.

Although I would leave my passport in the hotel, if you do take your passport with you and you're worried about being robbed I highly recommend a money belt which you wear under your trousers/jeans as opposed to over them. Whenever I travel in Europe I usually wear one if I'm not staying in a hotel for a number of days.

Have fun in San Francisco. It's my hometown and a great place to visit.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there is a legal requirement to carry ID demonstrating your legal status in the US. If so, I suspect that it only applies to non-US cits.

Hubby got in trouble once when on H1-b visa. There was a road check of some kind and he only had his California driver's license on him.

When I was in the US on the VWP or H4, I rarely carried my passport on me when I was out and about. But I think that legally I was supposed to.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

To lazy to look it up. But how can an adult NOT have photo identification, i.e. driver's license? At worse I would carry a photocopy of the cover page of my passport and leave it in the hotel safe.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I wonder if there is a legal requirement to carry ID demonstrating your legal status in the US. If so, I suspect that it only applies to non-US cits.

Hubby got in trouble once when on H1-b visa. There was a road check of some kind and he only had his California driver's license on him.

When I was in the US on the VWP or H4, I rarely carried my passport on me when I was out and about. But I think that legally I was supposed to.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
how can an adult NOT have photo identification, i.e. driver's license?
Not everyone has a drivers license.

If you are a Green Card holder, I thought the requirement was to carry it AT ALL TIMES? Not sure how many do though.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

But how can an adult NOT have photo identification, i.e. driver's license?
Perhaps they come from a country where it is not the norm!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Perhaps they come from a country where it is not the norm!

Guess so. Or are too young for one or too poor for a car or to afraid of being the recipient of road rage
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Guess so. Or are too young for one or too poor for a car or to afraid of being the recipient of road rage
For example, many valid UK driving licenses have no photo. And you didn't need to carry it when driving anyway! So many Brits just don't get the ID thing.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by fatbrit
For example, many valid UK driving licenses have no photo. And you didn't need to carry it when driving anyway! So many Brits just don't get the ID thing.

I know .. I've read about that here. Also in NJ you had the option at one time to have one without a photo.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo

Would the Australian Keypass card work? www.keypass.com.au ?
I don't think that will be accepted as ID anywhere. It won't get you into a bar.
Carrying your passport is your proof of legal status.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Or don't need to drive because the city in which they live has an excellent public transit system
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd carry some sort of ID even if not planning on going to a bar.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you? If you are (or look) under 25 and want to get served alcohol, carry something that verifies your age.

I would not risk carrying your passport unless in transit between cities/etc - you may lose it ... plus it's a hassle. As someone posted above, make a copy of the relevant pages and carry that. If you feel compelled to carry it, then do so with a money belt or something around your neck (that's what I do in Europe when traveling between locations).

My 21 year-old niece (from UK) was visiting me recently and she brought her UK drivers license, which has no legal status here but served as ID in bars/restaurants - and as a conversation piece as everyone wanted to know more about why she was here ... etc etc.

Unless you are driving, you are extremely unlikely to be asked for ID. Maybe if you are trying to cash 'travelers cheques' or similar ...

I never carried my Green Card in the 25 years I had it, despite the statement somewhere that you should carry it at all times. No way was I going to risk losing that thing!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helwardman
Not everyone has a drivers license.

If you are a Green Card holder, I thought the requirement was to carry it AT ALL TIMES? Not sure how many do though.
Yes I think if you are over 16 or 18 (I can't remember which one) then you are required to carry it all times.

When I was in San Francisco recently I didn't use any ID at all, except for the odd credit card purchase where they ask for it. I aren't sure if the hotel requires some form of ID identification though.

But you should take some form of ID with you. Even a driving license from another country should do it.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

I know .. I've read about that here. Also in NJ you had the option at one time to have one without a photo.
Thanks everyone for your replies,

Rete your posts come across as being catty and rude, bad day, someone pee on your cornflakes? Or just time of the month??

FYI im 29, can afford a car but live in a city with poor parking and prefer public transport, and the road rage comment was just weird. I only have my UK passport for ID and my work ID, I live in Australia.

Last edited by Sugo; Oct 21st 2009 at 8:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.