Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting New York!

Visiting New York!

Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by Partystar
Excellent.

There was no penalty for cancelling the reservation, but I'm not too keen on the fact that it doesn't send you anything confirming the cancellation, there's nothing to print out online either.

Did you make your reservation by giving the hotel your credit card no.? In addition to Elvira's suggestion, I would also call your credit card company (taking note of time, date and name of person at cc company) to inform them not to make any payments to the hotel and that you will dispute any charges from them if they appear on your statement.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:22 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Did you make your reservation by giving the hotel your credit card no.? In addition to Elvira's suggestion, I would also call your credit card company (taking note of time, date and name of person at cc company) to inform them not to make any payments to the hotel and that you will dispute any charges from them if they appear on your statement.
Well I gave it a few days to see if I got a cancellation email from the hotel, which I didn't, so I called & asked if they could send me something, which they wouldn't.

I called my credit card company & informed them, they made a note on my account & said to call back if I got charged & they would refund the money straight away. I always keep a note of when & who I talk to & what is said, it has come in handy many times! Thanx girls.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Visiting New York!

Are you getting excited Partystar?

Do buy the 'Time Out' magazine when you arrive as it has all the latest event listings.

Meanwhile, here's a list of attractions and a great interactive map:

http://destinations.usatoday.com/newyork/attractions/

See you at the weekend!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:23 pm

ESP - how weird is that, posting at exactly the same time LOL!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:30 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Are you getting excited Partystar?

Do buy the 'Time Out' magazine when you arrive as it has all the latest event listings.

Meanwhile, here's a list of attractions and a great interactive map:

http://destinations.usatoday.com/newyork/attractions/

See you at the weekend!
Yes, very excited. Hahaha, I'm definitely a bit psychic (or is that psycho?!?). I'll try to remember to buy it, guides are always good. I still need to find out what my friend wants to do while were there. Right now, I'm just a tad worried because I have no warm clothes, we only wear 1 layer here. I suppose I can layer my clothes to keep warm, thank god I bought my coat from England!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, very excited. Hahaha, I'm definitely a bit psychic (or is that psycho?!?). I'll try to remember to buy it, guides are always good. I still need to find out what my friend wants to do while were there. Right now, I'm just a tad worried because I have no warm clothes, we only wear 1 layer here. I suppose I can layer my clothes to keep warm, thank god I bought my coat from England!
Gonna be below zero with the wind chill over the weekend...you don't know what cold is until you've experienced a sub zero day in NYC.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:40 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Gonna be below zero with the wind chill over the weekend...you don't know what cold is until you've experienced a sub zero day in NYC.

Glad I'm not there... that wind has nowhere to go but around the buildings.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

........I suppose I can layer my clothes to keep warm, thank god I bought my coat from England!
Make sure you have a warm hat, scarf and gloves though! And warm, comfy shoes.

And plan your day so that outdoor activities are sandwiched by indoor ones...

(I am refrring to museums and the like, not what you're thinking of )
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:48 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
Make sure you have a warm hat, scarf and gloves though! And warm, comfy shoes.

And plan your day so that outdoor activities are sandwiched by indoor ones...

(I am refrring to museums and the like, not what you're thinking of )
Wow, now I'm really scared! I'm freezing right now, my feet are like blocks of ice & it's 73 degrees in here! Oh well, now I know to leave my strappy shoes at home!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, now I'm really scared! I'm freezing right now, my feet are like blocks of ice & it's 73 degrees in here! Oh well, now I know to leave my strappy shoes at home!
Brace yourself...you're gonna have a 80 degree drop in temperature...but it will feel much colder!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Brace yourself...you're gonna have a 80 degree drop in temperature...but it will feel much colder!
It's only a 20 degree (f) drop from here, so it can't be that bad! We're having a cold spell here at the moment, so we're getting a little taste of winter!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's only a 20 degree (f) drop from here, so it can't be that bad! We're having a cold spell here at the moment, so we're getting a little taste of winter!
OK I gotcha...73 deg inside...so what's your outside temp?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 24th 2007 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:08 pm
Back where I belong!

OK I gotcha...73 deg inside...so what's your outside temp?
Yeah, it's 73 in my house, average of 55 degrees outside & in NY it said it was 35 degrees. I like it hot, so my heating bill is through the roof, even though some would call this mild! I usually have the heating at 80 degrees, but we're trying to save money at the mo.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:23 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Rushman
Mrs.R and myself might make the trip for the weekend.
So you coming down to meet up with us then?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah, it's 73 in my house, average of 55 degrees outside & in NY it said it was 35 degrees. I like it hot, so my heating bill is through the roof, even though some would call this mild! I usually have the heating at 80 degrees, but we're trying to save money at the mo.
According to the local news we can expect sub zero wind chills for the Fri/Sat...that's over a 55 deg temp drop for you. Back up to 32 degs for Sunday...so Sunday looks like a warm, barmy day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.