Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting New York!

Visiting New York!

Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:24 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Forgot to mention:

A great way to get from JFK (or Newark) to Manhatten is to use a car service....it actually works out cheaper in most cases than using a taxi and the cars are those nice black limos.

For example, I do voluntary work at Newark and the taxi rate from EWR to Manhatten by taxi is $60-$70 (depending on which part of Manhatten) + toll (approx $9 or $10) + tip.

The car service has a fixed price to anywhere in Manhatten ($40) + toll + tip for the car - it's not charged per person:

http://carmelcarservice.com/ (I've used Carmel myself and recommend them)

also Dial 7 (owned by the same parent company):

http://www.dial7.com/

You can book with both online so there will be a car waiting for you when you arrive at JFK. * I have some coupons for $6 off the fixed price which I can mail to you if you wish - just send me a PM*.

On the other hand you could take the minibus shuttle service at $17 each + tip, or the trains....but it will be longer (the vans call in at various hotels to drop off) and you will obviously be tight on time....how nice to arrive in style, eh?

For 'ground transportation' options to/from JFK:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm

Hope this helps!
Thanx for all the info, I would like to book a car from Carmel service, but am a bit hesitant, as we're arriving on 2 different flights & worry that one of them will be delayed, then the driver will have to wait around. So maybe we'll just get a train, what do you think?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:53 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
If that's the Midtown Helmsley, it's a nice hotel.
There's a few with similar names, this one is The New York Helmsley, it's in Midtown, but not to be confused with The Helmsley MiddleTowne!!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Thanx for all the info, I would like to book a car from Carmel service, but am a bit hesitant, as we're arriving on 2 different flights & worry that one of them will be delayed, then the driver will have to wait around. So maybe we'll just get a train, what do you think?
You're flying into JFK, right?

There is also a bus that goes to various convenient midtown locations, including Grand Central. They are pretty frequent (every 15-20 minutes or so), costs $15 and it usually takes about 45 minutes.

Just follow the signs or ask at the information in the baggage hall.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
You're flying into JFK, right?

There is also a bus that goes to various convenient midtown locations, including Grand Central. They are pretty frequent (every 15-20 minutes or so), costs $15 and it usually takes about 45 minutes.

Just follow the signs or ask at the information in the baggage hall.
Yep, JFK. We could walk to our hotel from Grand Central, me thinks, thanx!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, JFK. We could walk to our hotel from Grand Central, me thinks, thanx!
Also goes to POrt Authority and Penn Station:

http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_manhattan.html

Have fun!! (Whatever you do, go to MOMA!!! )

Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:50 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
Also goes to POrt Authority and Penn Station:

http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_manhattan.html

Have fun!! (Whatever you do, go to MOMA!!! )

I think that's what we'll do, thanx.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that's what we'll do, thanx.
can't remember when it is exactly you head off to New York but have a good one and watch out.... don't overdo it now you've turned a quarter of a century
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
can't remember when it is exactly you head off to New York but have a good one and watch out.... don't overdo it now you've turned a quarter of a century
It's alright, I've bought myself one of those wheelchair cart things that the fat people ride here, just for the trip!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

It's alright, I've bought myself one of those wheelchair cart things that the fat people ride here, just for the trip!
well be sure to hang onto it coz you might need it to put your shopping in
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/ron_mueck/

While your in NY, this exhibition is still on, and it looks awesome, so you might want to check it out if you have the time...

Mueck is just awesome, it's hard to imagine that the sculptures weren't photographs of people.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Visiting New York!

Sorry it took so long to reply, but it's been hectic with Mum here. Thanx for all the info, I've cancelled our booking with this hotel & booked another one, we will now be staying near Central Park (The NY Helmsley), it's a bit more expensive, but I'd rather not risk getting bed bugs.

Are you still able to meet up with us? I'm really looking forward to it!
I think you did the right thing.....it was probably a nice hotel in its heyday but when I walk past there and look inside it looks rather seedy/grubby to be honest. Now that the announcement has gone out that the place will be demolished I can imagine that the service will deteriorate further.

Yes, happy to meet up! Will send a PM in a few days.

Ha ha - it's not just the Pennsylvania Hotel that has bed bugs!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0-2549525.html
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

V. wise move.

I stupidly had my parents stay at the Hotel Pennsylvannia. Its was totally disgusting.

What you flushed down the toilet came up into the bath!!!!!!

When they checked in there was someone elses Number Two on the bathroom floor!

Have a lovely time here! Pack warm clothes!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
well be sure to hang onto it coz you might need it to put your shopping in
I don't like to shop much...yes men, I am the perfect wife!!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I think you did the right thing.....it was probably a nice hotel in its heyday but when I walk past there and look inside it looks rather seedy/grubby to be honest. Now that the announcement has gone out that the place will be demolished I can imagine that the service will deteriorate further.

Yes, happy to meet up! Will send a PM in a few days.

Ha ha - it's not just the Pennsylvania Hotel that has bed bugs!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0-2549525.html
Excellent.

There was no penalty for cancelling the reservation, but I'm not too keen on the fact that it doesn't send you anything confirming the cancellation, there's nothing to print out online either.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 3:00 pm
Homebody

Excellent.

There was no penalty for cancelling the reservation, but I'm not too keen on the fact that it doesn't send you anything confirming the cancellation, there's nothing to print out online either.
Were you not given a cancellation number? If not, it might be a good idea to cancel in writing, i.e. by fax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.