Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting New York!

Visiting New York!

Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by lionheart
It was only $16..............plus King Kong didn't climb to the top of the Rockefeller Plaza with Fay Wray, a vivid memory from childhood.
Do the ESB I say, something to tell the Grandkids and you are all the way there why chintz on $16
Well when you're doing NYC on a student budget of $40, you've got to pick and choose what you see *lol*
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:54 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marriedtothemod
Well when you're doing NYC on a student budget of $40, you've got to pick and choose what you see *lol*
Bob's loaded, with that accent he has to have a trust fund
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

This was my preBob days....i was able to have my drinks sorted but couldn't find anyone to get me a ticket to the ESB *lol*
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:00 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Get pissed up at McSorleys and then head around the corner for a vindaloo at the Brick Lane Curry House
We are going to New York in April and now I have heard of this place... I want a curry!!! My two teenagers will eat indian food but I can see my 11 year old now, making gagging noises as we walk in. I suppose we can always fill her with chicken mcnuggets before we go.
I have booked a hotel in Chelsea (can I hear you all laughing?), on the corner of Broadway and W 26th. Is it an OK area?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

actually you should ask him about all the free cookies at Governor's that he's gotten with that accent *lol*
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I have booked a hotel in Chelsea (can I hear you all laughing?), on the corner of Broadway and W 26th. Is it an OK area?
I think I know where it is (can't remember the name of it though). There is a Clearview cinema nearby on W23rd which shows arthouse movies, so I've been in Chelsea a couple of times in the past month.

Also across the street (W23rd) is the Trailer Park Lounge....you must go there, if only to feed your daughter LOL! It's very tacky and a fun place to take your kids for an inexpensive meal.

I was there in the happy hour and was very happy indeed when I had a couple of their $5 margaritas LOL!

http://www.trailerparklounge.com/

I wouldn't worry about staying in that area, it's hardly the Bronx....yes one of the churches does have an indoor soup kitchen for the homeless but they seem harmless enough when I've walked past their patrons .....I doubt that you will spend much time at your hotel anyway.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:43 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I think I know where it is (can't remember the name of it though). There is a Clearview cinema nearby on W23rd which shows arthouse movies, so I've been in Chelsea a couple of times in the past month.

Also across the street (W23rd) is the Trailer Park Lounge....you must go there, if only to feed your daughter LOL! It's very tacky and a fun place to take your kids for an inexpensive meal.

I was there in the happy hour and was very happy indeed when I had a couple of their $5 margaritas LOL!

http://www.trailerparklounge.com/

I wouldn't worry about staying in that area, it's hardly the Bronx....yes one of the churches does have an indoor soup kitchen for the homeless but they seem harmless enough when I've walked past their patrons .....I doubt that you will spend much time at your hotel anyway.
Thankyou for the info. By the time we have paid for the two teenagers to go skiing with the school and to DC just before Easter we may be glad of the soup kitchen.

Last edited by jumping doris; Jan 5th 2007 at 9:44 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marriedtothemod
Well Pizza from New York is like none other in the world. It's really good, something to do at least once *lol* Also going to turtle pond in Central Park, that's really pretty too.
I will probably end up trying it, I'm sure! Central park is also a must for us.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:48 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take you to the chippy LOL!

I hope you're not staying at the (infamous) Pennsylvania Hotel which is right across the street from MSG & Penn Station.....
Excellent, it's a chippy date!

Yep, you've got the right hotel, do I really want to know why it's infamous?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Partystar
I will probably end up trying it, I'm sure! Central park is also a must for us.
Just mind the bikers/skate boarders/skooters....those people are bonkers.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:45 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Shame! We will cross paths one of these days! I'll be going back to England around May, so that's out too, sorry.
Your always just back from somewhere or just off somewhere......do you ever work????
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:16 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Your always just back from somewhere or just off somewhere......do you ever work????
I do, but I refuse to have a job where I can't piss off whenever I want to, I like being my own boss!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:31 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Visiting New York!

Excellent, it's a chippy date!

Yep, you've got the right hotel, do I really want to know why it's infamous?

Ok.....take a deep breath:

Here is a 3 Page report dated 14 Aug 2006:

http://observer.com/20060814/2006081...newsstory2.asp

(The bed bugs story was a huge here when it broke!)

Scroll down and read the reviews from recent hotel residents:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

It was announced last Friday that the hotel may soon be demolished to make way for an office complex:

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...a+Near-Century

Oh - and some friends of ours spent a weekend there when they traded in their airmiles to fly out from London to JFK on Concorde just before it went out of service......we met them for lunch in NYC and they said it was a 'fleapit' and just used it as a crashpad for a few hours kip...:scared:

Are you committed to staying there (eg. prepaid via Expedia, Travelocity etc.) or can you cancel your booking if you choose to do so without penalty?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:56 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Ok.....take a deep breath:

Here is a 3 Page report dated 14 Aug 2006:

http://observer.com/20060814/2006081...newsstory2.asp

(The bed bugs story was a huge here when it broke!)

Scroll down and read the reviews from recent hotel residents:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

It was announced last Friday that the hotel may soon be demolished to make way for an office complex:

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...a+Near-Century

Oh - and some friends of ours spent a weekend there when they traded in their airmiles to fly out from London to JFK on Concorde just before it went out of service......we met them for lunch in NYC and they said it was a 'fleapit' and just used it as a crashpad for a few hours kip...:scared:

Are you committed to staying there (eg. prepaid via Expedia, Travelocity etc.) or can you cancel your booking if you choose to do so without penalty?
She'll probably be out and about most of the time, it's a trade off between price, location and how much time you will actually spend in the hotel.
This coming from someone who's stayed in some filthy Tijuana shitholes a few years ago when visiting Mexico.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:00 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

I will be visiting New York for 2 days at the end of January & I'll be making a list of all the places that are a must. There’s a lot of good info on Tom's thread (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395158), so that will help me. If anyone has any other ideas, I’d love to know, thanx!

Also, if anyone would like to meet up for a drink while I’m there, let me know!

Watch out New York!
hey lady, when are you there? maybe i'll be there that weekend?!

p.s. hope you had a nice B'day
xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.