Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting New York!

Visiting New York!

Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by marriedtothemod
If you are looking for night life (and it's still there) I would recommend Vau(g)n (can't remember if there was a g in there) on Bleaker street. It's a cozy little wine/mixed drink/European beers bar. Also Houlahans has the best baked potatoe soup , and just to be kitchy, you should either try a hot dog or a piece of pizza from a street vendor.
Sounds excellent, thank you. I will definitely be eating a hot dog. I might have a slice of pizza, although I'm not sure yet. I have a few friends here (AZ is almost totally made up of 'transplants') from NY (Brooklyn & Queens) & they ordered pizza a few times, I thought it was yuck, but they said it was great & the closest thing to NYC pizza in AZ. So I'll decide once I've had a look!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:32 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'll second the Brick Lane thing. Mrs TR and I sampled their very generous lunchtime buffet a few weeks ago - the best Indian buffet I ever ate (including in the UK!!) and an absolute bargain at only $10 a head. Lots of good veggie stuff in addition to fish and meat - includes appetizer and dessert items and they even bake fresh nan bread and bring it to your table included in the price!!!
It's on my list, thanx!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Lucky woman, wish you were going when i was there, or goin in may when i will be back. Hope you have a great time darlin! and btw if you could get tickets, i loved the show hairspray!!
Shame! We will cross paths one of these days! I'll be going back to England around May, so that's out too, sorry.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:11 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Based on your limited 2 day trip here's what I'd recommend, I've only been there once mind you;

Day 1
Metropolitan Museum of Art - You'll probably have to limit yourself to half a day, by which time you'll have had enough
Central Park - After the Museum a brisk walk through the park might be nice. Maybe a romantic horse and carriage ride with hubs, the vista of the ice rink with skyscrapers is nice. Plus lots of places to drinking and eat. Boating ( although probably too cold at this time of year)
Dinner in Little Italy followed by drinks and a walk through SoHo and Greenwich Village( lots of bars in these areas)
Day2
Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty. Maybe a quick walk through Chinatown but I didn't think it was all that great apart from so so food and tacky t-shirts. See the Chrysler building and then go up the Empire State building at night. After that maybe some Irish bars on 2nd Avenue ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) I think that is the busiest bar section in NY. Or see a Broadway show.
You'll need to be up early and moving at a good pace to see all that in 2 days IMHO.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Jan 4th 2007 at 7:39 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:36 pm
Back where I belong!

So far our list consists of (not in any order at the moment) -

Ellis Island
Empire State Building
Central Park
Times Square
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
Brick Lane Curry House
Chrysler building
Lots of nice bars & restaurants!!!

I'm sure there are some that I'm forgetting, but this is only a start.

Has anyone been to Flushing Meadows Park in Queens? I'm wondering if it's worth a visit.

Last edited by Partystar; Jan 4th 2007 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:40 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget my motherin laws house! you can drive past and marvel at the fact shes in Florida terrorising me!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:54 pm
Back where I belong!

Oh, I forgot to mention, we arrive early afternoon on Friday, January 26th & leave late on Sunday January 28th. So mark your diaries people & let me know when & where you wanna meet.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 10:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by Partystar
Oh, I forgot to mention, we arrive early afternoon on Friday, January 26th & leave late on Sunday January 28th. So mark your diaries people & let me know when & where you wanna meet.
Which airport are you flying into? LaGuardia, JFK or Newark? Where are you staying - I assume somewhere in Manhatten? Do you need to know the best options to get from the airport to your hotel?

As someone previously said, you can't go anywhere but the entrance lobby at the Chrysler building.....however it's just a couple of blocks or so from Grand Central Station and it's a really nice building to wander through.

You can also go ice-skating in the open air in Bryant Park which is a couple of blocks from Times Square and it's cheaper and less crowded than the Rockefeller Center or in Central Park.

Actually I think there is more to do in and around the Rockefeller Center than in the Chrysler Building vicinity....lots of shops, the Top of the Rock skyscraper viewing tower (an alternative to the ESB) and St. Patrick's Cathedral across the street on Fifth Avenue. Also the original Saks is just down from the Cathedral.

This is the official tourist website for NYC:

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

Hey....are you going to the chip shop too?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:25 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Which airport are you flying into? LaGuardia, JFK or Newark? Where are you staying - I assume somewhere in Manhatten? Do you need to know the best options to get from the airport to your hotel?

As someone previously said, you can't go anywhere but the entrance lobby at the Chrysler building.....however it's just a couple of blocks or so from Grand Central Station and it's a really nice building to wander through.

You can also go ice-skating in the open air in Bryant Park which is a couple of blocks from Times Square and it's cheaper and less crowded than the Rockefeller Center or in Central Park.

Actually I think there is more to do in and around the Rockefeller Center than in the Chrysler Building vicinity....lots of shops, the Top of the Rock skyscraper viewing tower (an alternative to the ESB) and St. Patrick's Cathedral across the street on Fifth Avenue. Also the original Saks is just down from the Cathedral.

There's a chip shop?!? If you're not kidding, then hell yeah, I'm there!!!

We're flying in & out from JFK & will be staying near Madison Square Garden.

Thanx for the info!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:27 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I was going to mention that one! Was meaning to go there this trip, but never made it (did get take to Carmine's tho and it was good). Still want my fish and chips though,
http://www.asaltandbattery.com/indexb.html mmmmm
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds excellent, thank you. I will definitely be eating a hot dog. I might have a slice of pizza, although I'm not sure yet. I have a few friends here (AZ is almost totally made up of 'transplants') from NY (Brooklyn & Queens) & they ordered pizza a few times, I thought it was yuck, but they said it was great & the closest thing to NYC pizza in AZ. So I'll decide once I've had a look!
Well Pizza from New York is like none other in the world. It's really good, something to do at least once *lol* Also going to turtle pond in Central Park, that's really pretty too.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:05 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

There's a chip shop?!? If you're not kidding, then hell yeah, I'm there!!!

We're flying in & out from JFK & will be staying near Madison Square Garden.

Thanx for the info!

I'll take you to the chippy LOL!

I hope you're not staying at the (infamous) Pennsylvania Hotel which is right across the street from MSG & Penn Station.....
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

So far our list consists of (not in any order at the moment) -

Ellis Island
Empire State Building
Central Park
Times Square
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
Brick Lane Curry House
Chrysler building
Lots of nice bars & restaurants!!!

I'm sure there are some that I'm forgetting, but this is only a start.

Has anyone been to Flushing Meadows Park in Queens? I'm wondering if it's worth a visit.

Just a thought but top of the rock is awesome - rockerfeller centre - its much more spacious and open than the Empire State building and has glass panels rather than a cage - plus you get to SEE the Empire on the skyline so the view is great!!! Only been open a again for a year or so and not usually quite as busy at ES.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Just a thought but top of the rock is awesome - rockerfeller centre - its much more spacious and open than the Empire State building and has glass panels rather than a cage - plus you get to SEE the Empire on the skyline so the view is great!!! Only been open a again for a year or so and not usually quite as busy at ES.
Not to mention the fact that the Empire State building is a little too expensive for what you get. Or at least I thought so anyway.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:20 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marriedtothemod
Not to mention the fact that the Empire State building is a little too expensive for what you get. Or at least I thought so anyway.
It was only $16..............plus King Kong didn't climb to the top of the Rockefeller Plaza with Fay Wray, a vivid memory from childhood.
Do the ESB I say, something to tell the Grandkids and you are all the way there why chintz on $16

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.