Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting LA for a week

Visiting LA for a week

Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting LA for a week

Just wondered if anyone knows the area near Pan Pacific Park (West 3rd Street). I'll be trying to keep my 7 year old entertained while my OH is working. So really just looking for advice on getting around by public transit, things to do close by or any useful advice about the area.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:55 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting LA for a week

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Just wondered if anyone knows the area near Pan Pacific Park (West 3rd Street). I'll be trying to keep my 7 year old entertained while my OH is working. So really just looking for advice on getting around by public transit, things to do close by or any useful advice about the area.
Farmer's Market for a while. The Grove took up a lot of its space so it is smaller than it used to be. Look into whether or not CBS's "Television City" studio has tours or not [this NOT an amusement like Universal]. Fairfax north of Farmer's market is a stroll.

How could I forget -- the La Brea Tar Pits & the Page Museum -- a well known pre-historic animal fossil sight. [Running joke about the "Dinosaur Museum" with no dinosaurs -- Mammoths & saber tooth tigers coming afterwards] Generations of LA school kids have just loved the place.

LA County Museum of Art is next door.

All are within walking distance of each other. In fact, not having a car in that area is good.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Farmer's Market for a while. The Grove took up a lot of its space so it is smaller than it used to be. Look into whether or not CBS's "Television City" studio has tours or not [this NOT an amusement like Universal]. Fairfax north of Farmer's market is a stroll.

How could I forget -- the La Brea Tar Pits & the Page Museum -- a well known pre-historic animal fossil sight. [Running joke about the "Dinosaur Museum" with no dinosaurs -- Mammoths & saber tooth tigers coming afterwards] Generations of LA school kids have just loved the place.

LA County Museum of Art is next door.

All are within walking distance of each other. In fact, not having a car in that area is good.
Good to know there are things to do in the area thanks

I dread the thought but I've promised I'd take the little man to Universal Studio's do you know if getting there by public transit is a pain?

Also is it acceptable to take kids into bars? I would of course have him bound and gagged so as not to annoy other punters
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Also is it acceptable to take kids into bars?
Not unless he is over 21

I would of course have him bound and gagged so as not to annoy other punters
While there are certainly bars where that might be appreciated, he would definitely have to be over 21 to get into them ...
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Not unless he is over 21

While there are certainly bars where that might be appreciated, he would definitely have to be over 21 to get into them ...
And I thought LA was a lot more liberal than other places in the US
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know there are things to do in the area thanks

I dread the thought but I've promised I'd take the little man to Universal Studio's do you know if getting there by public transit is a pain?

Also is it acceptable to take kids into bars? I would of course have him bound and gagged so as not to annoy other punters
Universal is adjacent to the Universal City Station of the "Red Line" subway. However, the subway is not adjacent -- the area you are in is oil land and Congressman Henry Waxman was concerned about tunneling though natural gas seepage. However, the Purple Line extension is now back on line and may in place in 12 years. On public transit, go to www.mta.net and you can get the schedules which should include buses. May not be all that bad.

On "bars," the terminology between UK and CA is different. It pays to remember that the US had national Prohibition from 1918 to 1933. Its abolition led to "local option" and California has one of the more liberal laws in the US, but it is regulated.

There are many restaurants which serve alcohol, many with bars. Kids are welcome. On my trips to the UK, I have found most pubs to be quite similar.

In fact, I forgot to mention the Peterson's Automotive Museum which is fun for all children between ages 6 and 60.

Nearby is Tom Bergin's Tavern which is an Irish Pub in business since 1936. The front is a lively bar with the restaurant in back. Kids welcome even though you have to go through the bar to get there.

If one has to be in a particular area sans automobile -- you will be in a good one.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by md95065
Not unless he is over 21

When my youngest was a Banana Slug, we had no problem in visiting restaurants with bars before she turned 21. A straight up bar serving alcoholic drinks, you are right.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Universal is adjacent to the Universal City Station of the "Red Line" subway. However, the subway is not adjacent -- the area you are in is oil land and Congressman Henry Waxman was concerned about tunneling though natural gas seepage. However, the Purple Line extension is now back on line and may in place in 12 years. On public transit, go to www.mta.net and you can get the schedules which should include buses. May not be all that bad.

On "bars," the terminology between UK and CA is different. It pays to remember that the US had national Prohibition from 1918 to 1933. Its abolition led to "local option" and California has one of the more liberal laws in the US, but it is regulated.

There are many restaurants which serve alcohol, many with bars. Kids are welcome. On my trips to the UK, I have found most pubs to be quite similar.

In fact, I forgot to mention the Peterson's Automotive Museum which is fun for all children between ages 6 and 60.

Nearby is Tom Bergin's Tavern which is an Irish Pub in business since 1936. The front is a lively bar with the restaurant in back. Kids welcome even though you have to go through the bar to get there.

If one has to be in a particular area sans automobile -- you will be in a good one.
Excellent info. Makes me wish I had longer than a week. I've been to LA before but that was when I didn't have kids and I was staying at the Hyatt on Sunset so this will be a whole different experience.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent info. Makes me wish I had longer than a week. I've been to LA before but that was when I didn't have kids and I was staying at the Hyatt on Sunset so this will be a whole different experience.
Hi Elaine, we used to live in Park La Brea and as the others have said it's a great area, easy to explore on foot and with really interesting museums and shops. When we go back we always go to 'Andre's' which is a lovely, cheap neighbourhood Italian restaurant

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...20020122251423
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:01 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hi Elaine, we used to live in Park La Brea and as the others have said it's a great area, easy to explore on foot and with really interesting museums and shops. When we go back we always go to 'Andre's' which is a lovely, cheap neighbourhood Italian restaurant

This is a fun thread!

How could I forget to mention Canters Deli? Shame on me.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Sounds like my kinda place
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is a fun thread!

How could I forget to mention Canters Deli? Shame on me.
So I guess I'll not be going hungry in LA

Oh speaking of food does anyone have any suggestions for good places for vegetarian/vegan's to eat?
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Commentator

So I guess I'll not be going hungry in LA

Oh speaking of food does anyone have any suggestions for good places for vegetarian/vegan's to eat?
Go to Yelp.com. Of course the city is Los Angeles -- I think they call the "neighborhood" "mid-city west" or some such.

Look at the overall ratings. There will always be a post or two about how the place has the worst food, worst service and should not be in business as contrasted to 99 other 4 or 5 star raves.

BTW, when in America, if you don't like the food or you get something bad, let them know immediately -- any place that is worth eating will replace it immediately or fix the problem. And then they often give you at least a free extra dish or sometimes even waive all charges. They want your good will.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Go to Yelp.com. Of course the city is Los Angeles -- I think they call the "neighborhood" "mid-city west" or some such.

Look at the overall ratings. There will always be a post or two about how the place has the worst food, worst service and should not be in business as contrasted to 99 other 4 or 5 star raves.

BTW, when in America, if you don't like the food or you get something bad, let them know immediately -- any place that is worth eating will replace it immediately or fix the problem. And then they often give you at least a free extra dish or sometimes even waive all charges. They want your good will.
Thanks again for the info and advice