Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting Cuba

Visiting Cuba

Old May 16th 2011, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting Cuba

We're (still) up here in the Great White North. Cuba is a popular holiday destination for warmth starved Canadians so I have told my son that he cannot visit as he is a US Citizen as there could be all sorts of problems when he went back to the US. So the clever child asked if he could visit using another country's passport. (He has British Citizenship and one day will get Canadian.)

Just wondering if anyone knew if he went on holiday to Cuba using non-American passport would he have any problems when he went to the US with his US passport?
Old May 16th 2011, 8:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Cuba

Doesn't matter what passport he has, as a USC he isn't allowed to do it.

Would he have any problems, well he might, or he might not...might get a rollicking and a fine or he might not.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering this the other day - seems that it is the only (potential) downside to naturalizing as a USC that I can think of.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
I was wondering this the other day - seems that it is the only (potential) downside to naturalizing as a USC that I can think of.
The travel ban to Cuba is not just for US citizens.

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS:

The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Visiting Cuba

There is info about it if you look on the internet search engines.

Americans can quite legally travel to Cuba as part of a cultural tour:

http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...me-exceptions/

Americans do also quietly travel to Cuba, via Canada or Mexico.....however from what I've read online, one has to ask the Cuban immigration officers not to stamp an American passport (not an issue I guess if someone holds another non-US passport and uses that instead).

http://www.cubalinda.com/English/Sections/HowCubaUS.asp

http://wikitravel.org/en/Americans_in_Cuba

Also it is essential that no US credit card is used and also the Cubans won't take US $ bills but currency in cash such as Euros and Canadian $ are ok. Obviously best not to bring back any souvenirs from Cuba.

http://www.usacubatravel.com/traveltips.htm
Old May 16th 2011, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this is true, but somebody on a website for American expats in the UK took her US citizen husband on holiday to Cuba. She paid for everything related to the trip (tickets, spending money) and they believed it was OK as the embargo is on Americans spending money in Cuba rather than actually going there.

I wonder if an American flew to Cuba from another country like the UK, whether the airline would have issues with allowing a USC passport holder to board?
Old May 16th 2011, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel

I wonder if an American flew to Cuba from another country like the UK, whether the airline would have issues with allowing a USC passport holder to board?
It wouldn't be there responsibility to uphold US law though...
Old May 20th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification.

If he went it would be on holiday and not a cultural tour. The links just seem like ways to circumnavigate US law.

If the only way that the government picks up these visits is through stamps in passport, using a different country's passport reduces the risk I suppose. Not that I am advocating anyone go to Cuba.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Cuba several times, gorgeous place, bloody hungry the whole time I was there though!! I met lots of USCs who fitted in a trip to Cuba whilst on vacation in Cayman. As Englishmum says, they ask for their passports not to be stamped and we used pesos to pay for everything but US dollars are coveted on the black market.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gad33
Thanks for the clarification.

If he went it would be on holiday and not a cultural tour. The links just seem like ways to circumnavigate US law.

If the only way that the government picks up these visits is through stamps in passport, using a different country's passport reduces the risk I suppose. Not that I am advocating anyone go to Cuba.
The problem is, these days a stamp in a passport isn't the only way a government finds out where you've been...there's plane/ boat manifests, record of ticket sales and security checks etc. So if the US Govt really wanted to clamp down then there's plenty of ways for them to find out who's been over there. The Bush administration actually did come down hard on illegal Cuba trips a few years back, and lots of citizens ended up with big fines to pay to the Treasury.