Reload this Page >

Visiting Canada (by land)

Visiting Canada (by land)

Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:25 am
Account Closed

UnionJax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting Canada (by land)

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help me and put my mind to rest. I am going to visit my girlfriend in Toronto (Canada) next week for the weekend, I am driving. I have a green card, but I just realised my British passport expired four months ago as I haven't really traveled much. I don't have time to renew my passport as I've noticed it takes up to four + weeks via the mail.

Can I enter Canada with just my green card? I've read such varying reports, some saying you need both a passport and GC and some saying the GC should be enough.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Canada (by land)

Originally Posted by UnionJax
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help me and put my mind to rest. I am going to visit my girlfriend in Toronto (Canada) next week for the weekend, I am driving. I have a green card, but I just realised my British passport expired four months ago as I haven't really traveled much. I don't have time to renew my passport as I've noticed it takes up to four + weeks via the mail.

Can I enter Canada with just my green card? I've read such varying reports, some saying you need both a passport and GC and some saying the GC should be enough.

Any help is appreciated.
Last time I crossed at Niagara (July 2010) I needed my passport both ways...Into both the US and Canada. US immigration wouldn't accept my Canadian birth certificate and neither would Canada. Both wanted passports.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 9:21 am
Account Closed

Are you a naturalised US citizen Dorothy?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 9:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a naturalised US citizen Dorothy?
No, I'm a Canadian born and bred. I am however also an Australian citizen, but when I cross the Canada/US border I do so on my Canadian passport. My US citizen brother (dual Can/US) travels into Canada on his Canadian passport and back to US on his US one.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Oh Ok, I was lead to believe that GC holders only have to use that as a valid form of ID to cross

So lost right now.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

CamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to allCamVet is a name known to all

Let's check the IATA Visa & Passport Requirements Database - this is the 'gold standard' database which airlines and travel agents use.

Citizenship UK, permanent resident of USA, destination Canada:

Canada allows you to arrive with just your Green Card. Also, the US allows you to leave its territory with just a Green Card.

Citizenship UK, permanent resident of USA, destination USA.

The USA allows you to arrive with just your Green Card.

Looks like you're all set !

Here's the link to the database:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CamVet
Let's check the IATA Visa & Passport Requirements Database - this is the 'gold standard' database which airlines and travel agents use.

Citizenship UK, permanent resident of USA, destination Canada:

Canada allows you to arrive with just your Green Card. Also, the US allows you to leave its territory with just a Green Card.

Citizenship UK, permanent resident of USA, destination USA.

The USA allows you to arrive with just your Green Card.

Looks like you're all set !

Here's the link to the database:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp
According to this: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

"Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship AND prrof of identity"

A green card isn't proof of citizenship
Old Dec 31st 2010, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
No, but even an expired passport is proof of his UK citizenship.

Ian
Old Dec 31st 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, but even an expired passport is proof of his UK citizenship.

Ian
indeed
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
According to this: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

"Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship AND prrof of identity"

From the CIC operational manual:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

"13.13. Exceptions to requirement to have a passport or travel document

Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence are exempt from passport requirements when seeking to enter Canada from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon. It should be noted that U.S. Alien Resident Cards are only acceptable upon presentation on contiguous territory and not valid for international flights from outside Canada unless accompanied by a valid and subsisting passport or travel document."
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
From the CIC operational manual:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

"13.13. Exceptions to requirement to have a passport or travel document

Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence are exempt from passport requirements when seeking to enter Canada from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon. It should be noted that U.S. Alien Resident Cards are only acceptable upon presentation on contiguous territory and not valid for international flights from outside Canada unless accompanied by a valid and subsisting passport or travel document."
Excellent news for the OP then
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

Thank you all! Great News.

Happy New Years Everyone.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:46 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Any help is appreciated.
I always used to travel with just the green card between WA state and BC. Never had a single time when my passport was requested.

Adding: just saw JAJ's reply. All looks tickety boo.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Dinger is an unknown quantity at this point

I am certain that entering Canada will not be a problem. The problem you might have is getting back into the United States. I would check with Immigration on the US side of the border before you cross over. It's the US who initiated the passport requirement not Canada. I'm not sure about US rules regarding green cards. Definitely take your British passport though .. It's undeniable proof that you are who you say you are.
Good Luck
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:00 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dinger
I am certain that entering Canada will not be a problem. The problem you might have is getting back into the United States. I would check with Immigration on the US side of the border before you cross over. It's the US who initiated the passport requirement not Canada. I'm not sure about US rules regarding green cards. Definitely take your British passport though .. It's undeniable proof that you are who you say you are.
Good Luck
No, you definitely do not need a passport when crossing back into the US if you have your GC. I was told that explicitly by CBP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.