Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VISAs and future changes

VISAs and future changes

Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISAs and future changes

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
.... It's interesting that someone is leaking these EAs (previous leaks have proved accurate). Either that's a deliberate policy on the part of the Trump administration, or there's a "mole" in there.
Maybe it's Russian hackers?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
GeneralPpt is concerned because he is an L-2 holder, and certainly it is possible that the right to an EAD for L-2 holder could be withdrawn as a way of making L-1's less attractive.
I wasn't talking about him, Pulaski. I was talking to Louis.

And that all members of Congress resign their positions this afternoon is also a possibility.

I understand that GP needs to work to make it financially viable for his wife to take this opportunity. He has made that clear in prior posts. They can always have a long distance marriage, as some of us have done for years, and visit his wife several times over the course of her stay in the US.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Right, this has nothing to do with the horribly botched ban for certain countries. Two other draft EAs have been leaked; one about skilled visas and one about deporting people who are immigrants and use welfare.

It's interesting that someone is leaking these EAs (previous leaks have proved accurate). Either that's a deliberate policy on the part of the Trump administration, or there's a "mole" in there.
There are several 'rogue' twitter accounts from the White House and also place like the EPA, FWS etc reporting just what is being done in the name of TRUMP, as he has banned those organisations for making any comments.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I wasn't talking about him, Pulaski. I was talking to Louis.

And that all members of Congress resign their positions this afternoon is also a possibility.

I understand that GP needs to work to make it financially viable for his wife to take this opportunity. He has made that clear in prior posts. They can always have a long distance marriage, as some of us have done for years, and visit his wife several times over the course of her stay in the US.
We'll be going regardless. As other's have mentioned you can only do it and hope for the best. Regardless she's already out there.

Thankfully we are both just 30, no kids, no mortgage and will be starting from scratch in the US so relocation back to the UK will be inexpensive if the worst should happen.

It'll just be sad to have come this far and then for it to be taken away because my right to work is rescinded.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

My wife flies out for the first time in a couple of weeks from the UK on her E2. Maybe she'll get turned away. I'm sure that's grounds for me to find some nice American girl?!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe it's Russian hookers?
Could be..
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, thanks for all the replies.

My skilled visa route is all above board and there are many ways it can be justified so I hope whatever the future holds that should be solid.

You make good points, the specific temp ban should not be over hyped with respect to more general cases.

I caught up with work about this and they said no impact at all, don't worry, all is fine.

I hope that continues to be the case.

Guess you just have to hope for the best.

On second thoughts I'd be surprised if there was a legitimate reason not to grant me the visa and allow work, I'm bringing some valuable and unique skills with me for a global business.

Refusing that really wouldn't seem to be making 'America great again'.

Fingers crossed, here's hoping!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
You make good points, the specific temp ban should not be over hyped with respect to more general cases.

I caught up with work about this and they said no impact at all, don't worry, all is fine.
It's difficult to avoid all the fake news and hype, but do your best to ignore it and good luck!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
It's difficult to avoid all the fake news and hype, but do your best to ignore it and good luck!
Thanks for the advice and perspective on it.

And visa not VISA, got it, what was I thinking!
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone - first time poster here.

I'm in a very similar situation to the OP whereas I'm a 26yo UK national who has been offered a role in the US with the global company that acquired my previous employer last year. I'll be on the L-1B visa and will be taking my wife out with me. We are homeowners in the UK and unfortunately are unable to rent out the house (we used the Help to Buy scheme which forbids it) so will have to sell. My initial US contract is for 2 years but I've been clear with them that I see this move as a permanent one and am seeking assurances that I'll be sponsored towards a green card at the earliest opportunity.

I have a couple of questions which I apologise if have already been answered elsewhere;

1. We're keen not to rent for any longer than we have to. Should I feel comfortable buying a house after 18 months/2 years providing the green card application is in progress?
2. It is just a matter of process that my wife will gain the right to work or is there a chance that this could never happen?
3. Will the green card process cover us both as spouses? I couldn't have a scenario arise in which she is deported whilst i'm able to stay.

We both really want to take this opportunity but don't want to disrupt our lives by selling our house and transporting furniture/cat/etc for only two years. I need to be sure that this is longer term than that should we want it to be.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
1. We're keen not to rent for any longer than we have to. Should I feel comfortable buying a house after 18 months/2 years providing the green card application is in progress?
2. It is just a matter of process that my wife will gain the right to work or is there a chance that this could never happen?
3. Will the green card process cover us both as spouses? I couldn't have a scenario arise in which she is deported whilst i'm able to stay.

1. Maybe...no one can see that far in advance. That said...you'll only be 18 months in the country, and your credit will be relatively poor...you may be able to get a mortgage but at rates so bad that it's not worth it. A polish co worker of mine who (like me) is green card and has been here 5 years said that he's not buying until he's a citizen...just in case. I would probably agree with that.

2. Process...she needs to apply for EAD card once you enter on your visa. 3ish Months later...she'll get the card that will allow her to work

3. She'll have her own green card...The application process will be done through you and your job but yes...she will have her own one.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
1. Maybe...no one can see that far in advance. That said...you'll only be 18 months in the country, and your credit will be relatively poor...you may be able to get a mortgage but at rates so bad that it's not worth it. A polish co worker of mine who (like me) is green card and has been here 5 years said that he's not buying until he's a citizen...just in case. I would probably agree with that.

2. Process...she needs to apply for EAD card once you enter on your visa. 3ish Months later...she'll get the card that will allow her to work

3. She'll have her own green card...The application process will be done through you and your job but yes...she will have her own one.
Great thank you.

With regard to purchasing a house, presumably non-US residents are able to get mortgages at reasonable rates when they're buying homes for rental purposes in the US -- could I not take that approach?
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
Great thank you. ....
Re DSM's point 3), green cards are processed on a family unit basis, so it would be difficult to exclude your wife if a green card application is submitted for you - she would have to actively exclude herself from the process.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
A polish co worker of mine who (like me) is green card and has been here 5 years said that he's not buying until he's a citizen...just in case. I would probably agree with that.
Sounds a bit too over-cautious if you ask me. If you have a green card you're good unless you commit a serious crime and I would be absolutely amazed if anything changed for people who have been granted permanent residency.

I wouldn't buy on a visa though - our green card application is in and we're in a position to buy a house but we're waiting until we have green cards in hand before taking the plunge.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

If we do buy eventually, it sounds like it's wise advice to wait for at least a green card and to build up some credit history too!

Anyway this is fine, it'll take us a couple of years to decide if we want to and if so, where. In that time we'll enjoy close proximity to the city and the possibility to walk/cycle to work!

Also in that time hopefully save some $ aside.

I wish I'd used an Amex card now to build up US credit history.

In this respect any tricks or tips for building a good and fast credit history in the US with the aim of maximinsing decent mortgage offers later? Assuming we don't sell UK house to buy in US, I'm not sure we will because whatever happens we'll still keep a foot in Europe and the UK (long term dreams to live in rural France also, perhaps).

Any tips about building US credit rating/history much appreciated.

I obtained my UK credit score today to check. It's currently the maximum of 999 but presume this is totally meaningless in the US, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.